Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dianne Abbot- Marvellous

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
But you're right to draw attention to the abuse that Abbott gets, particularly the people who describe her as thick. She went to Cambridge (and I bet there weren't many state-educated black women at Cambridge in the 70s) and then passed the notoriously tough Civil Service entrance exam: you have to be exceptionally bright to get through that.

This - she is objectively not unintelligent, and she is / has been a convinving orator but, rightly or wrongly, she is publically identified as making a disproprtionate number of mistakes compared to her peers.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Why do you think she's deplorable, out of interest?

That's a very strong word to use in an era of Trump, Farage, Cummings and Johnson.

Don't get too stewed up and expect a reply, or at least an intelligent reply.
You are dealing with BG, a very sick man who sees things in a totally different way to almost everyone else.
I would get very annoyed with yet another stupid BG post, but as it's him it gets totally ignored.
But I do feel very sorry for him, it must be awful to live in his world.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Amazing women. Shame that people just swallow what the press and media portray for them. Wonder how many people will actually bother to read you're link?

I read that article, I then researched the author and the penny dropped!

From Wikipedia

“Monroe was a supporter of the Labour Party, and appeared in a Labour campaign video in October 2013.[25] She left the party in March 2015 after disagreeing with its rhetoric on immigration,[26] and became a member of the Green Party of England and Wales.[27]

In November 2014, Monroe said on Twitter that David Cameron "uses stories about his dead son as misty-eyed rhetoric to legitimise selling our NHS to his friends".[28] The Daily Mail journalist Sarah Vine (wife of the senior Conservative politician Michael Gove) criticised Monroe for using the death of Cameron's son for political purposes and "choosing" a life of poverty. The Independent described this as a "caustic attack", and Monroe replied on Twitter that the column was "homophobic, transphobic, deadnaming [and] ignorant".[29]”

For the record I don’t condone the vile trolling sh receives.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Liz Truss keeps accidentally sellings arms to the Saudis, which is against the law, but carry on bashing Diane Abbott for a few tiny errors in her first PMQs eh.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Anyone who has looked even briefly at what that woman has achieved in her life wouldn’t have the brass neck to put DA down. A remarkable woman who made her way in 1970’s England as a black MP. Almost unheard of.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anyone who has looked even briefly at what that woman has achieved in her life wouldn’t have the brass neck to put DA down. A remarkable woman who made her way in 1970’s England as a black MP. Almost unheard of.

Absolutely unheard of. She was first elected in 1987.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Was she introduced in a Dead Ringers type Andrew Neil impersonation voice ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I've read plenty of other positive articles about her life and achievements, so wouldn't necessarily allow the background of the author to cloud your judgement. Even if you don't like her views and politics, she is deserving of respect at the very least.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I've read plenty of other positive articles about her life and achievements, so wouldn't necessarily allow the background of the author to cloud your judgement. Even if you don't like her views and politics, she is deserving of respect at the very least.

Every human being on this planet gets my respect, many unfortunately then open there mouths and start speaking and it all go’s south from there.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
This - she is objectively not unintelligent, and she is / has been a convinving orator but, rightly or wrongly, she is publically identified as making a disproprtionate number of mistakes compared to her peers.

Personally, she has done more than enough over her (long) career to earn my respect - especially given the hideous abuse and racism she has received, especially in her early days and both from within and outside the labour party and more recently on line. I would not have lasted ten minutes.

More recently her performance has certainly been patchy, but all (neutral) reports indicate she did pretty well today (as did Raab). Strange, how so few people seem to have watched her performance before piling in.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Liz Truss keeps accidentally sellings arms to the Saudis, which is against the law, but carry on bashing Diane Abbott for a few tiny errors in her first PMQs eh.

Aside her forgetfulness, Truss has form for making herself look stupid into the bargain, often coming over as a blithering idiot. She has stiff competition, up against the likes of McVey and her 3D houses. Her cheese & pork export gaffes plus suggesting dogs could be used to scare off drones were memorable classics. Barely a mention in the Tory supporting press. Truss was at it again today on the Julia Hartley-Spewer show. 'Apparently' the Americans are keen to get a trade deal with the UK because "they adore Love Island & Downton Abbey." Abbott is a weak performer in Parliament but there are plenty worse. She receives more abuse than any other MP both online and in the media. The reason is pretty clear to most.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Could never associate Abbot with 'marvellous'.

And that's from someone who is married to a non white wife for 24 years and got mixed race teenage daughter.
Racist.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

From Wikipedia

“Monroe was a supporter of the Labour Party, and appeared in a Labour campaign video in October 2013.[25] She left the party in March 2015 after disagreeing with its rhetoric on immigration,[26] and became a member of the Green Party of England and Wales.[27]

In November 2014, Monroe said on Twitter that David Cameron "uses stories about his dead son as misty-eyed rhetoric to legitimise selling our NHS to his friends".[28] The Daily Mail journalist Sarah Vine (wife of the senior Conservative politician Michael Gove) criticised Monroe for using the death of Cameron's son for political purposes and "choosing" a life of poverty. The Independent described this as a "caustic attack", and Monroe replied on Twitter that the column was "homophobic, transphobic, deadnaming [and] ignorant".[29]”

Whatever. The issue here is not Monroe or even her opinions. It's about the incredible, undeniable achievements of Diane Abbott.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here