Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Dianne Abbot- Marvellous

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Been a bad couple of days for ethnic firsts with Javid crowing about the being the first Asian in Downing Street. Not the double act you want to be the first.

Can probably add the stuff with Priti Patel and her "I'm an immigrant, which is why I want to stop immigration" speech.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Especially as he is white and public school educated. Diane Abbot is the most trolled and receives more abuse online than all other MPs put together. As soon as I saw this thread, I knew I could rely on the older white male dominated NSC to pile in!

Starmer isn't public school educated: I know someone who was in his class at school - Reigate Grammar (an independent school now, but wasn't when he was there).

But you're right to draw attention to the abuse that Abbott gets, particularly the people who describe her as thick. She went to Cambridge (and I bet there weren't many state-educated black women at Cambridge in the 70s) and then passed the notoriously tough Civil Service entrance exam: you have to be exceptionally bright to get through that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't forget pritti Patel and her cries for stopping freedom of movement. Fascism at work right under our noses.

calling for the end of free movement, limited to a few nations, replaced by another system of immigration open to all, is a long way from fascism.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
What a great achievement in becoming the first black woman to take the lead in asking questions on behalf of her party in PMQT. What an endorsement of our fantastic multicultural country we all live in and love so much.

It’s just a shame she is well below the intellectual capability expected of a shadow Home Secretary. Not helped by having an equally intellectually challenged leader of the Labour Party. Student Marxist policies usually happen when you are a Naive idealistic teenager not in your 50’s plus.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Starmer isn't public school educated: I know someone who was in his class at school - Reigate Grammar (an independent school now, but wasn't when he was there).

But you're right to draw attention to the abuse that Abbott gets, particularly the people who describe her as thick. She went to Cambridge (and I bet there weren't many state-educated black women at Cambridge in the 70s) and then passed the notoriously tough Civil Service entrance exam: you have to be exceptionally bright to get through that.

Yup, Abbott has made a gaffe or two, but her mistakes are highlighted and ridiculed more than it would be if she was white. A bit like if there are 3 murders in London in any given day, the one that was by an immigrant ends up on the tabloid front pages and the other 2 don't. (See also the whole Raheem Sterling / different players buying their mum a house story)

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It’s just a shame she is well below the intellectual capability expected of a shadow Home Secretary. Not helped by having an equally intellectually challenged leader of the Labour Party. Student Marxist policies usually happen when you are a Naive idealistic teenager not in your 50’s plus.

Detail on the Marxist policies please

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
She's a particular waste of space in a space full of waste.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
calling for the end of free movement, limited to a few nations, replaced by another system of immigration open to all, is a long way from fascism.

But it won’t be equal to all. These systems rarely are. Didn’t the Tories talk about preference for Australia? Or was it NZ?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Yup, Abbott has made a gaffe or two, but her mistakes are highlighted and ridiculed more than it would be if she was white. A bit like if there are 3 murders in London in any given day, the one that was by an immigrant ends up on the tabloid front pages and the other 2 don't. (See also the whole Raheem Sterling / different players buying their mum a house story)

I think it’s more to do with the fact that she’s a Labour front bencher than the colour of her skin but you keep telling yourself that to fuel your faux outrage [emoji23]

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well done Ms Abbott.A shame that Labour's Top Guns didn't support her by reminding her of the six questions convention before she got up.Sexism,racism or just incompetence?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I think that she is one most deplorable people in public eye who constantly plays the 'colour card' when the going gets tough.

Why do you think she's deplorable, out of interest?

That's a very strong word to use in an era of Trump, Farage, Cummings and Johnson.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Can probably add the stuff with Priti Patel and her "I'm an immigrant, which is why I want to stop immigration" speech.
To be fair, you would probably struggle to find someone you would want to be the first to do something out of the current shower we have on all sides.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, Abbot is prone to making errors when speaking in public (a bit of a problem for a politician) and I don't agree with many of her views.

But I have HUGE respect for her. Jack Monroe explains why you should too.

Amazing women. Shame that people just swallow what the press and media portray for them. Wonder how many people will actually bother to read you're link?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here