Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Devon watches - Incredible innovation or flatter to deceive?

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Not that I could afford such a watch, but I think the look fantastic! So different and evocative, love 'em.

My thoughts exactly sir!

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Not that I could afford such a watch, but I think the look fantastic! So different and evocative, love 'em.

What do you mean by 'evocative', may I ask? What exactly do they evoke in you?

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
My everyday watch is a Citizen WR200 eco-drive. It keeps time automatically via radio signal and is big and chunky, I love it. I've also got a Franck Muller Havana which was handed down to me and worth a few grand I imagine, I don't ever wear it though as it isn't to my liking:

View attachment 49838

I'd quite like to sell it as its just sitting in a drawer but it has no box or papers so I've no idea who to or where to try and sell it?? Any ideas?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Whilst in the RAF I was serving in Aden (South Yemen) in 1966 where I purchased a stainless steel Rolex Oysterdate for the princely sum of £25. It is a genuine article as it has been to Rolex for a couple of servicings. It is still going strong keeps perfect time and looks the dogs whatnots. Current insurance value £2800.

I've got one of these boys too, cost me £55 off a mate a few years back - it wax a present from his ex-wife and apparently held bad memories for him. Lovely watch but costs an arm and a leg getting it serviced.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
What do you mean by 'evocative', may I ask? What exactly do they evoke in you?

They evoke memories of childhood, rummaging through my Grandad's garage where anything slightly useful would be kept in a separate box just in case it was needed. He constantly tinkered with old bits of machinery and those watches are the kind of thing I think he would've come up with if he had to just use bits from his garage. They're different, a new take on how a watch should look and work and even if you think they're hideous you have to admire the imagination behind them. Always nice to see something original.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going back to the original question a watch telling the time does not strike me as innovative. So, flatter to deceive must be the answer.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Going back to the original question a watch telling the time does not strike me as innovative. So, flatter to deceive must be the answer.

From the picture, it doesn't look flatter than a normal watch, though. Quite the opposite. So neither innovative nor flatter I'd say.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
I have a Soki Gnok Gnik eBay special. The watch weighed in at £1.50, though a new strap cost £3.50. Glows in the dark, tells me time to the second, and the date. It also warns me NOT to leave the Amex before the final whistle.

I fabricated the last bit.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Nobody ever lost money by buying a genuine second hand Rolex. They maintain their value incredibly well. Reckon Devon watches could go either way, they look pretty funky but a bit too Franklin Mint for my liking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here