Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Devon watches - Incredible innovation or flatter to deceive?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Cartier is the only way forward when going large on a watch.

Well clearly it isn't, is it?

Emperors clothes.

I imagine you have to think of this as jewellery for blokes , rather than something to tell you the time.

Correct. At least that's SORT of how I think of it.

You can liken a good classic watch in some respects, to a beautiful classic car. A new Ford Mondeo or Vauxhall Vectra is going to offer much better performance than a 40 year old Jaguar, but that kind of misses the point.

Sausage

The wurst of the wurst.
Dec 8, 2007
Haven't worn a watch for many years as even an expensive one stops working after a short period. However if I had £6K to blow on a watch it eould have to be Swiss as anything else is much less likely to have a decent resale value.

The best watch I ever had Cost £12 from a Cash Converters (or similar) in about 1999. Still going nicely. It's a Lorus automatic. Heavy, well made. Keeps excellent time and I reckon it looks good. My Dad gave me a Tissot..pfft and I've had a couple of Seikos...gah.

I could quite fancy an Oris but anything much above £1,000 and I might start to feel a bit 'precious'.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I think it's pretty hideous too. It looks like some weird prosthetic device, and I can't honestly see how it improves on the simplicity and elegance of a traditional timepiece. But, as you say, each to their own...

Agree with you here.
6 grand for that ,no way, but each to their own again.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Surely the timekeeping abilities must be a bit suspect coming from Devon,it's at least 10 years behind real time down there.

Bloody cheek, we are only 5 years behind, I think you may be getting confused with Cadgwith on the Lizard in Cornwall. Probably the most behind time place I have ever been to. They still eat powdered egg.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Excellent advice regarding the Rolex Steel Sports ranges, the GMT's and submariner pre owned values increase year after year.

The RRP may well be £4500 (I don't know, I've not checked) but I'd be very surprised if your pre-owned watch will go for anything like that I'm afraid. Scanning ads on a watch forum I belong to, the last few went for between £1900 and £2400.

If you want to buy a watch for investment purposes at that sort of price level - buy Rolex steel sports. The residual values keep getting pulled up as Rolex move their list prices ever higher. You'll lose money on nearly everything else - Breitling, Omega and Tag Heuer included.

tweenster

Oct 16, 2009
Lincoln
I like a nice watch but there is no way I could justify spending £1000s on one.

Skagen are my current favourite, simple, slim and affordable. I was in a restaurant some time ago and the subject of watches was being discussed. Coincidentally, there was a colleague also wearing a Skagen watch when someone declared that there watch was the best because "it's a TAG". Horrendous style disaster if you asked me, but he was happy because "it was a TAG". What I think I'm trying to say is that it's horses for courses, and I quite liked the classic car analogy.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I have a watch that has been sitting in my garage for years, don't know much about it.
It made by some geezer called John Harrison, its called the lesser watch.
Apparently its quite rare as only a few were made and some wide boy in South London found the last one, but I've deffo got one as well.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I have a watch that has been sitting in my garage for years, don't know much about it.
Apparently its quite rare as only a few were made and some wide boy in South London found the last one, but I've deffo got one as well.

Coincidence, I picked one up last summer in a market on Hooky Street.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't like them at all

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Coincidence, I picked one up last summer in a market on Hooky Street.

It seems there are more of these around than people thought. I got mine in 1995 on holiday in Benidorm from a Somalian. I remember it well because I was trying to sunbathe and he kept pestering me all day.
He had loads of watches on him (and 20 different hats on his head all on top of each other)

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Whilst in the RAF I was serving in Aden (South Yemen) in 1966 where I purchased a stainless steel Rolex Oysterdate for the princely sum of £25. It is a genuine article as it has been to Rolex for a couple of servicings. It is still going strong keeps perfect time and looks the dogs whatnots. Current insurance value £2800.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
It seems there are more of these around than people thought. I got mine in 1995 on holiday in Benidorm from a Somalian. I remember it well because I was trying to sunbathe and he kept pestering me all day.
He had loads of watches on him (and 20 different hats on his head all on top of each other)

Nice find!
I found myself in a similar situation in Tenerife last year, I managed to bag a lovely pair of Ray-Ban Aviators for a bargain £20.00 down from £110.00.
I do count myself lucky as the North African salesman told me it was the last pair he'd be able to get hold of for at least two weeks.
Deal of the year for me.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Those are hideous IMO.

One for the "more money than sense" drawer.

As the descendant of a watchmaker called John Harrison (1747-1798), I can advise you that the likelihood is that your watch is as big a fantasy as is my hope that my great great great great grandfather might turn out to be connected to the finest horologist the world has ever known.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
As the descendant of a watchmaker called John Harrison (1747-1798), I can advise you that the likelihood is that your watch is as big a fantasy as is my hope that my great great great great grandfather might turn out to be connected to the finest horologist the world has ever known.

Bloody Somalians. Last time I buy anything off them on the beach again. He assured me it was the real deal.

wehatepalace

Limbs
Apr 27, 2004
Pease Pottage
I actually quite like that, it's different, I like things that are a bit quirky.
Having said that I'm wearing a very traditional Tag, that's not at all different, but does look quite elegant, without being too blingy.
Would I pay 6k for the Devon, no I'm not sure I would.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Not that I could afford such a watch, but I think the look fantastic! So different and evocative, love 'em.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Those are hideous IMO.

One for the "more money than sense" drawer.

That's the beauty of watches everybody has different taste.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here