Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dev Squad @ The Amex tonight 7pm

Blue and White Tiger

Exiled to Exeter
Jul 6, 2010
Do u think jfc merits a call up to the first team squad?

Yes. He should still be in it from his time in it last season. As much as I love Vicente, and he's awesome I'd prefer to see JFC given a long run in the side. Vicente for the last 30 mins.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Brez - 6 - did ok. Some nice touches.
Hunt - 7 liked him a lot. Not sure why, didn't do a lot wrong.
Ince - 7 - good. Strong. Physical. Calm on the ball.
Dunk - 5 - worst passer in the team today. At fault for the goal. Looked nervous.
Painter - 5 - so slow, poor positioning at times. Cynical fouls got him out of trouble. Would have been bookings in a league game.
Crofts - 6.5 - did ok. Just not as good as I think he can be.
Dicker - 6 - poorest of the 3 CMs
JFC - 8 MOM - wants the ball all the time. Nice goal. Could of had a second, well saved.
Dickinson - 7 - some quick bursts on the wing. Lacked composure in final 3rd.
Barker - 7 - some nice runs. Good assist for the goal. Quick.
Agdestein - 6.5 - nice finish. Didn't do an awful lot else.

Subs:
S. March - 7 - really good feet. Kept the ball well. Pick of the wingers.
S. Goodwin - 6 - did ok. Nothing special, but we'd eased off the gas a bit.

Good summary. I think you overmarked Dicker. What last night showed was that JFC and Barker should be in the squad for Saturday and that Dicker is just too slow in action and thought for consideration in the championship.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Dunk - 5 - worst passer in the team today. At fault for the goal. Looked nervous.
Painter - 5 - so slow, poor positioning at times. Cynical fouls got him out of trouble. Would have been bookings in a league game.
JFC - 8 MOM - wants the ball all the time. Nice goal. Could of had a second, well saved.

Subs:

Agree mostly with these marks.

I too liked the right back - seemed comfortable on the ball as did Ince. Good to see both centre backs looking to bring the ball out from the back.

JFC saw a lot of the ball but seemed to run short of ideas. Barker looked sharp and was quick down the left. Agdestien played a lot deeper later in the second half and seemed to disappear.

The only problem I have with March and Barker is that they are on the small side so may struggle in the first team. However, Ince looks very big and strong - liked him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Agdestien played a lot deeper later in the second half and seemed to disappear.

This seems to be a constant problem for Toby. He seems to lack concentration for 90 minutes. I've heard Williams and Oatway yelling 'Wake Up' to him several times, during matches.

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

I too liked the right back - seemed comfortable on the ball as did Ince. Good to see both centre backs looking to bring the ball out from the back.

JFC saw a lot of the ball but seemed to run short of ideas. Barker looked sharp and was quick down the left. Agdestien played a lot deeper later in the second half and seemed to disappear.

The only problem I have with March and Barker is that they are on the small side so may struggle in the first team. However, Ince looks very big and strong - liked him.

I have to agree about Ince, he looked strong in the air. A real threat at corners. He looks a good prospect?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006

I thought football had moved on from this prejudice ........

finlaych

Apr 16, 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom

Subs:

Thought Ince was man of the match, he was amazing.

Dunk was a 5 for first half but I thought he did well enough for a 7 in the second and put a couple of great tackles, one of the line.

Barker looked very good as he has done every time I've seen him play ever.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
I thought football had moved on from this prejudice ........

Not prejudice at all - they just got muscled off the ball very easily due to their size (or lack of it)

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Not prejudice at all - they just got muscled off the ball very easily due to their size (or lack of it)

Of course strength is important, doesn't necessary follow how tall they might be.

Look, I know what you mean and I agree you need a mix of physical attributes, but I always found Barker to be quite strong and dynamic, March is younger and will mature and get stronger.

Both played well and their physical height, not being GK, CB or target man seems totally irrelevant.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Of course strength is important, doesn't necessary follow how tall they might be.

Look, I know what you mean and I agree you need a mix of physical attributes, but I always found Barker to be quite strong and dynamic, March is younger and will mature and get stronger.

Both played well and their physical height, not being GK, CB or target man seems totally irrelevant.

I agree they both played well last night and Barker certainly had the beating of his full back every time. His speed and ball control were good however, can you imagine him against for example a team like Bolton, full of six footers.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Confused. Ulloa was on the sidelines with Gus?!

In the stand behind the dugout

On JFC I think he is a great talent, however their no 10 was big and brushed him off the ball a few times. He needs to develop Bridcutt's techniques to hold the ball so he can survive at championship level.

Vicente is the best footballer we have ever had, perhaps he will get his chance once he goes.

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I see Maksimenko, has been on the bench for Yeovil for the last five games, I hope he gets some games even as a sub. Him and Ince are great looking defensive ball playing prospects.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I agree they both played well last night and Barker certainly had the beating of his full back every time. His speed and ball control were good however, can you imagine him against for example a team like Bolton, full of six footers.

Well I am not sure you could turn up with a team full of 5'6''ers, granted.

My point really was that for many positions the height is irrelevant, physically, dynamism and strength is key.

If you see a couple of good youngsters that stand out then I think generally you ought to ignore their physical height.

We ( Britain ) are only slowly coming round to a new way of thinking when identifying talent.

Physical height is irrelevant ( outside of certain positions ), but physicality is important, thankfully you can enhance the latter.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
Well I am not sure you could turn up with a team full of 5'6''ers, granted.

My point really was that for many positions the height is irrelevant, physically, dynamism and strength is key.

If you see a couple of good youngsters that stand out then I think generally you ought to ignore their physical height.

We ( Britain ) are only slowly coming round to a new way of thinking when identifying talent.

Physical height is irrelevant ( outside of certain positions ), but physicality is important, thankfully you can enhance the latter.

Can't argue with that however, how many 5'6" players are there in the Premier League at the moment? Lennon?

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Albion fielded a strong development team in a 2-1 win against Millwall at The Amex tonight. Senior pros Peter Brezovan, Marcos Painter, Gary Dicker and Andrew Crofts all had run-outs but it was two younger members of the side who seized an opportunity to catch the eye of watching manager Gus Poyet with fine first half finishes. Centre-forward Toby Agdestein (10) and midfielder Jake Forster-Caskey (28) helped Albion recover from an eighth minute header by John Marquis for Millwall. Both goals were set-up by George Barker, fresh from his home debut as a late substitute against Leicester on Saturday.

Barker, operating on the left-wing, impressed before Solly March replaced him in the second half. Albion (4-1-2-3): Brezovan; Hunt, Ince, Dunk, Painter; Dicker, Crofts, Forster-Caskey; Dickenson (Goodwin 61), Agdestein, Barker (March 46). Subs not used: Smith, Oatway junior, Richards.

* Full report inside tomorrow's Argus, plus details of a bizarre ban for March.

The above is from the Argus, does anyone get the paper, we were curious last night why Solly March was not banned after his red card, is reference above about this.

You would think that Barker may play a part on Saturday again, after being subbed early.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here