Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Desk Top Computers V Laptops

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
If you're a touch typist it's got to be a desktop as a tablet is like going back to the ark and I've never encountered a decent laptop keyboard, let alone an ergonomic one.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Yes, every computer can do this, but you wouldn't use your personal computer to do it. It needs a 24/7 connection to the internet, having Linux installed helps and it can be a security threat if you host a FTP on your personal computer because of all the files hackers could possibly access. What Bashlsdir was saying, if you have a spare computer you can wipe all the data from it (eliminate security risk), install Linux (easier to use for hosting) and have a constant web connection because you don't have to turn it off.

Nicely replied,and i understand better now,thanks..

Dec 29, 2011
As for the original question, Laptop 100% of the time. You can't take the desktop in the toilet with you for a twenty minute toilet-surf.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
In our house we have 2 desktops, 4 laptops and an MacPro
One desktop is quite old and slow [is only used for "dodgy surfing"]
The other desktop is like a server 2Tb disk, the four of us have a network share on it and the laptops each regularly backup their drives to it.
One laptop is for my cricket coaching
One laptop is for my business
One laptop for daughter
One laptop for Mrs SS
MacPro for my arty student daughter

My two laptops and the 2 desktops are hooked into an omnibox which means they all use the same keyboard, mouse and screen - simples

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Apart from work, what do you use a laptop or a desk top, the only reason I ask is we have a desk top that just about never gets turned on any more since me and Rose both now have laptops.

So what do you use? I appreciate many will also use tablets nowadays as well, is it the end of the desk top?

Valid question. Because of my poor eyesight (now), I like a desktop because the screen is further away. I am looking for a portable desktop. I have got one (portable desktop) but it is too old, so I am waiting for what is on offer. I use a laptop as well, but although it is better I use it l less.

I have been using desktops for 25 years plus so it is not natural to change.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
I use a desktop, as it is used for gaming, and gaming laptops are still not as good as a gaming desktop. I do have a laptop running Linux that is used for playing around on but mostly for internet.

It depends on what I'm doing. I use my iMac (desktop) for all my audio editing and mixing, mostly because of the size of the screen and all the external hardware that's required, and the laptop i use for rough work, usually on the move, when I'm on the train. Its all horses for courses.

If I had to pick one it would be the desktop.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here