Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Desk Top Computers V Laptops

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
Apart from work, what do you use a laptop or a desk top, the only reason I ask is we have a desk top that just about never gets turned on any more since me and Rose both now have laptops.

So what do you use? I appreciate many will also use tablets nowadays as well, is it the end of the desk top?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Desktops are out. The world is 'born mobile' as this spectacularly cringeworthy video from CES shows:

Born Mobile - YouTube

Me? I last bought a desktop computer in 2005 and don't think I ever will again. Laptop, tablet and phone will suffice.

D

Deleted member 22389

Apart from work, what do you use a laptop or a desk top, the only reason I ask is we have a desk top that just about never gets turned on any more since me and Rose both now have laptops.

So what do you use? I appreciate many will also use tablets nowadays as well, is it the end of the desk top?

You can turn your old desktop in an FTP server by installing Linux on it. These old P4, AMD desktops have plenty of uses. Desktops will never die, there will always be a market for them.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I suppose a desk top is more for use at home for doing serious work on,but even then i guess that they have perhaps had they day.

Yet still,some writers prefer to traditional type writer over a computer so who knows.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Use my mac at work and my MacBook when I'm working from home or on a location shoot. Either way it's both work related. Normally use my mobile for entertainment!

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Desk top all day long for me with a big screen. It's much better for gaming to.

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
You can turn your old desktop in an FTP server by installing Linux on it. These old P4, AMD desktops have plenty of uses. Desktops will never die, there will always be a market for them.

Save me googling all the "Jargon" and thanks for the reply :thumbsup:.........................but............WHAT??..........:)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
desktops wont be going anywhere as not everyone wants to tie their keyboard and VDU together so they have to hunch over them, and you get far more bang for your £ with a desktop.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Save me googling all the "Jargon" and thanks for the reply :thumbsup:.........................but............WHAT??..........:)

I'd be quite interested in the reply too,fascinating to here what come back in good old fashioned English.

Dec 29, 2011

FTP, File transfer protocol, a fancy way of saying you can use your old desktop as a server to host a website or files and view them remotely.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We have an iMac, three laptops, a netbook and two iPads in our house - f*** knows why as the laptops / netbook are rarely used

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Both. Mostly Desktop though.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
FTP, File transfer protocol, a fancy way of saying you can use your old desktop as a server to host a website or files and view them remotely.

That's quite good? i know very little about computers.... surely a laptop does this

Dec 29, 2011
That's quite good? i know very little about computers.... surely a laptop does this

Yes, every computer can do this, but you wouldn't use your personal computer to do it. It needs a 24/7 connection to the internet, having Linux installed helps and it can be a security threat if you host a FTP on your personal computer because of all the files hackers could possibly access. What Bashlsdir was saying, if you have a spare computer you can wipe all the data from it (eliminate security risk), install Linux (easier to use for hosting) and have a constant web connection because you don't have to turn it off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here