Derby sack Paul Clement

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dec 29, 2011
I can see absolutely NOTHING to gain from his sacking. They don't save money on his wages, they haven't appointed a better manager, they haven't got a new manager who will have time before summer to assess his squad (assuming the new manager is temporary). Barmy.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Honestly thought it was some kind of lame joke until I read it in the news.

jay d

jay d n coke
Nov 16, 2014
brighton
I just dont believe the reason for his sacking. Theres no way ud get sacked for over achieving, and football is a results buissnes.
I se it as hes done something behind the scenes and all this talk of promotion not a priotity this season, is just saving face for if the outcome is falling down the league.

I think the chairman didnt like they way his wife looked at clement at the dinner partys :)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This is a chairman who thinks that because he signs the cheques, he also has the right to go into a dressing room and bollock the players after a game - apparently he's quite a regular face in the dressing room. That is a recipe for disaster. It TOTALLY undermines the manager, would do absolutely nothing for team morale, and would achieve absolutely nothing except royally pissing off everyone involved. Are the players seriously going to get any kind of motivation from having a suit from upstairs come down and read them the riot act ? Utterly pathetic. I would be HORRIFIED if Tony Bloom took it upon himself to go marching into the dressing room to start shouting the odds.

A ridiculous, cowardly decision to sack the manager there after 8 months, when they're 5 points off the top. The guys ego must be running on Red Bull, and his brain must be up his arse. I hope Derby collapse completely from here on in and make Morris look even more stupid than he does now.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I can see absolutely NOTHING to gain from his sacking. They don't save money on his wages, they haven't appointed a better manager, they haven't got a new manager who will have time before summer to assess his squad (assuming the new manager is temporary). Barmy.

Understandable that the owner/chairman and fans are disappointed at the lack of recent form and playing style. However they are hardly in free fall. Derby are still very much in contention with much to play for. They have one of the strongest squads in the Championship and had a highly rated new young manager.

Having spent £25m in creating such a squad brings it's own pressures in seeking to keep all of the players happy, especially when there are some big egos involved. This smacks of player power. Yes the Chairman is entitled to expect a level of performance from the manager and players commensurate with his investment and expectations but appears to have taken the weak option and sacked the manager rather than back him over the players. Worse still it is alleged that the Chairman ranted at the Clement in front of the players, rather than counsel him in private. Not exactly a good omen for future DCFC managers, but seems par for the course at many clubs these days.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Its such a senseless, moronic decision, and the club statement is such a load of old GUFF and FLANNEL, that there simply has to be more to it than is being stated. I think Morris and Clement have had a major barney behind the scenes, possibly off the back of Morris's regular post-match forays into the dressing room, and its all gone off from there.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Even if Derby manage to maintain their play off position they're a shadow of the team that beat us four times in the 2013/14 season. A team that played without fear up until the last minute winner from QPR. If we were to meet them again in similar circumstances i'd fancy our chances. Especially with Bobby's play off record.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bonkers! Even the club's statement doesn't make any sense!
It was clear in this plan, which was briefed to supporters, players, sponsors and all our stakeholders last summer that promotion this season was not the primary target.

:facepalm:

Sounds like a childish "we didn't want to win your stupid promotion anyway!!":tantrum:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It says 'Lucy' on it?!

She has now protected her account but earlier (when it was visible to all) she made a tweet with 3 screenshots of tweets by Neil Clement (former player and Paul's younger brother) criticising Derby's chairman (Neil had deleted those tweets already, hence the screenshots).

One of Neil's tweets is what now appears in Lucy's account header:- "Good club derby with good players good fans and a mug of a chairman"

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
She has now protected her account but earlier (when it was visible to all) she made a tweet with 3 screenshots of tweets by Neil Clement (former player and Paul's younger brother) criticising Derby's chairman (Neil had deleted those tweets already, hence the screenshots).

One of Neil's tweets is what now appears in Lucy's account header:- "Good club derby with good players good fans and a mug of a chairman"

Got ya - thanks mate :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports