Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby sack Paul Clement

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Interesting interview but I simply cannot believe that if Derby were still top, he would have been sacked. End of. He can say whatever he wants but to say the recent run of results has no bearing is patently bullsh*t

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Seems like the falling out was over tactics ... Clement couldn't get his head round this formation

Derby.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe they have a Gus type ego in charge and he can't be sacked.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Burke gone as well, meltdown at Derby? :)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Given he'd only ever been a number two, how would anyone know that? We might have guessed at it but couldn't have 'known'.....

I've been through your posts on this thread, and read with interest.
I thought you looked quite ordinary against us, whereas we were then drawing to the end of our unexpected start, and the signs of the subsequent decline were beginning to show. We got two very good goals, befitting of what we've done for a lot of this season. You had a lot of possession, but lacked that ability in the final third, which ought to be surprising given the quality in your squad -- but isn't in many respects, because I'm not sure Clement ever knew how to make the most of it, which players to pick and when, especially the front six.
I also saw the United game, and again thought you were disappointing -- in stark contrast to what you were like during mid-2013 to very early-2015. You did score a cracking goal in that game, and I do recall seeing several other individual goals, by Butterfield especially.
Again, this season many of our goals have been great team efforts, and we've now adapted from the possession game of Poyet and Oscar, to one that is more concerned to carve out better opportunities under Hughton, based on team work and effort. There is a little bit of similarity with Leicester, although we're nowhere near their quality, nor their consistency.
Which is another way of saying that Hughton is getting more out of the players at his disposal, and has developed a great team ethos. I see Derby as the opposite at present (although I'm not commenting on your team ethos). You've got a great squad, although I think your defence needs improving and the squad itself may benefit from being trimmed. What you need is a manager to make it work. I always liked what Clough was doing (even when we managed to beat you under Poyet), and McLaren certainly started well. Is it Moyes that will be the next manager and, if so, is he the one that will galvanise things?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've been through your posts on this thread, and read with interest.
I thought you looked quite ordinary against us, whereas we were then drawing to the end of our unexpected start, and the signs of the subsequent decline were beginning to show. We got two very good goals, befitting of what we've done for a lot of this season. You had a lot of possession, but lacked that ability in the final third, which ought to be surprising given the quality in your squad -- but isn't in many respects, because I'm not sure Clement ever knew how to make the most of it, which players to pick and when, especially the front six.
I also saw the United game, and again thought you were disappointing -- in stark contrast to what you were like during mid-2013 to very early-2015. You did score a cracking goal in that game, and I do recall seeing several other individual goals, by Butterfield especially.
Again, this season many of our goals have been great team efforts, and we've now adapted from the possession game of Poyet and Oscar, to one that is more concerned to carve out better opportunities under Hughton, based on team work and effort. There is a little bit of similarity with Leicester, although we're nowhere near their quality, nor their consistency.
Which is another way of saying that Hughton is getting more out of the players at his disposal, and has developed a great team ethos. I see Derby as the opposite at present (although I'm not commenting on your team ethos). You've got a great squad, although I think your defence needs improving and the squad itself may benefit from being trimmed. What you need is a manager to make it work. I always liked what Clough was doing (even when we managed to beat you under Poyet), and McLaren certainly started well. Is it Moyes that will be the next manager and, if so, is he the one that will galvanise things?

Difficult to argue with much of that - The Brighton game was a bit of a tipping point for me, I hadn't seen many of our recent games and I was reasonably confident, (not expecting us to walk it, no-one did, despite the protestations of some on here who amusingly think we have a 'sense of entitlement') but the way we played was an eye opener and a microcosm of our season. You hit the nail on head regarding that game and Clement, he never got close to a truly settled team and he certainly couldn't get the best out of them. When we were good, it was largely down to individual brilliance of Thorne, Butterfield and Johnson.

You're right about Hughton, it's very difficult to argue that he's got more out of his squad that Clement! To your point about team ethos, it's not there, most pundits and some opposing managers have pointed that out and that was a big worry. Got to give kudos to Hughton for that with Brighton.

If it were Moyes, I'm sure he would pep things up a bit, believe me it couldn't have got much worse!

One major piece of bad luck for Clement was losing Hughes and Bryson 20 mins in to season, fug me we miss Hughes..........

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here