Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Derby extend their 'going for it' programme to 'really going for it'

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
If Chris manages to get us to finish above that squad and get promoted he'll be on his way to Brighton legendom, a ridiculous outlay by Derby, more so when you consider how comparatively little we've spent.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Still think Derby will turn it around despite their poor start. I expect them to steam up the league. Do not understand why Johnson wants to drop a league down from Norwich though.

He probably didn't want to go but Norwich no doubt bit Derby's hand off for that sort of money for a very average player, who would have started most matches from the bench this season. It is quite interesting that Alex Neil has kept all of the CH signings for Norwich apart from Van Wolfswinkel. He has even sent Tony Andrieu out on loan and Alex Neil actually brought him into the club.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If Chris manages to get us to finish above that squad and get promoted he'll be on his way to Brighton legendom, a ridiculous outlay by Derby, more so when you consider how comparatively little we've spent.

CH wouldn't sign Bradley Johnson if he gets Brighton promoted. He never played when Leroy Fer Johnny Howson and Alex Tettey were all fit at the same time. If he does get Brighton promoted, the only Norwich or ex Norwich signings I think he would possibly go for would be Johnny Howson or Robert Snodgrass

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
CH wouldn't sign Bradley Johnson if he gets Brighton promoted. He never played when Leroy Fer Johnny Howson and Alex Tettey were all fit at the same time. If he does get Brighton promoted, the only Norwich or ex Norwich signings I think he would possibly go for would be Johnny Howson or Robert Snodgrass
Nathan Redmond?

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The question is are their purchases wise?

Personally I think for £10m they've bought two bobbins midfielders.

When we went to swoop for Clayton at Hudds no mention was made of Butterfield and his contribution in our game - goal aside - was muted and yet all of a sudden he's a £4m player who they didn't rate as highly as Dale Stephens as they bid for him first.

As for Johnson he's undoubtedly talented but £6m, really? £6m used to buy you an international calibre player with a whole heap of attributes and a bunch of ability whereas now it would seem it gets you a flat track bully that's more likely to get sent off as much as spank one or two long range goals.

*shrug*

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Looks like they were panic buys, they're buying loads of players with no thought to how they're going to be utilised
Totally agree. I'll be amazed if Huddersfield can't find an adequate replacement for Butterfield for a fraction of the cost. He's always stuck me as an average Championship defender. I think Johnson might prove a better signing but £6m is a grossly inflated figure.

Derby have spent around £20m I think, and with Hughes out injured I still think we're on a par maybe better than them. And we already have NINE more points than they do.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Did they actually pay £6m for Bradley? When I saw the transfer announced I thought it said it brought Derby's spending to 10m for the window, which would include the signings over the summer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
T'is a shame we don't play Derby till Dec and the penultimate game of the season.

They'll have their sh*t together by Dec, and who knows what April has in store.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I would still be very suprised if they did not make the play offs.

And I would still be suprised if we did.

Long long long way to go, and some big sides with incredible squads in this division

Crewton Ram

Jan 10, 2013
We've signed 2 midfielders because we were one light when the season began and then lost Hughes effectively for the whole season. Our midfield has also generally been injury prone during games, with Clement having to substitute 2 midfielders in 3 of the league games so far in the first half in each case. That left us having to pull defenders and forwards into midfield and it's hard to be fluent in those circumstances. We've probably paid 20-30% over the odds, but clubs knew they could drive a hard bargain. As long as the club have a regard to FFP limits (I believe they do) I'm not too fussed about that.

Of course, no-one knows if Clement can mould a team out of a squad including 9 new faces, but he'll have few excuses if he can't. But if he does, I think we'll take some stopping.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Of course, no-one knows if Clement can mould a team out of a squad including 9 new faces, but he'll have few excuses if he can't. But if he does, I think we'll take some stopping.

Everyone will want to beat you, you're already nine points off the pace and some of your signings simply aren't all that in my view. That said, I've stated before that of all the fans in this league who deserve to see their team seemingly splash out, Derby fans are up there. You stuck with your team for half a decade of dross bumbling along in 14th/15th place in this division before your home grown policy finally took hold. I'm just not convinced you've bought all that well.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Bradley Johnson has stated his intention to strive tirelessly to get Derby City promoted.

The news has come as a huge shock to Derby County fans.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Nathan Redmond?

If you had asked me the same question about Nathan about 18 months ago I would have said YES him as well but his end product was never what CH hoped for from him and Chris did give him his first start at age 16 or 17 for Birmingham. He like him a lot as a player but he could never keep his shots on target so the Jury is still out on Nathan.

Personally, I love watching Nathan play when he in real form

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here