Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Derby docked nine (more) points

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Another transfer embargo, result in Phil Jagielka going elsewhere

[tweet]1481969463964667908[/tweet]

And during soccer saturday they noted reports that Derby have been told by the EFL they have until 1st February to provide proof of funding or may face further sanctions, including possible expulsion.

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
These multiple punishments are borderline cruel and unusual, I realise sympathy may be in short supply here but if you do feel like lending a bit of support, you may sign the petition? https://www.change.org/p/sports-min...f_combo_share_initial&utm_term=share_petition

I stood by Brighton in 97 FWIW....

Hard to disagree with [MENTION=42796]Amexarmadillo[/MENTION]. Derby have been taking the piss for years and whilst the multiple punishments are unusual the docking of points isn't unjustified. Morris just came in and added to the shenanigans.

Supporting our efforts of the past isn't the same at all and whilst I feel for the supporters, the football club thoroughly deserve to have the book thrown at them

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Luton were punished in a similar way into non league and Pompey not far off too. Derby are getting the punishment they deserve for years of cheating.

Hard to disagree with [MENTION=42796]Amexarmadillo[/MENTION]. Derby have been taking the piss for years and whilst the multiple punishments are unusual the docking of points isn't unjustified. Morris just came in and added to the shenanigans.

Supporting our efforts of the past isn't the same at all and whilst I feel for the supporters, the football club thoroughly deserve to have the book thrown at them

I'll put you both down as maybe.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I have sympathy for the fans at Derby but the rules were put in place to stop owners gambling with football clubs' futures.

It seems like this is exactly what has been done at Derby. If Morris and Derby want this 'witch hunt' to be over then perhaps they can accept their punishment for their wrong doing and stop fighting the EFL through the courts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
These multiple punishments are borderline cruel and unusual, I realise sympathy may be in short supply here but if you do feel like lending a bit of support, you may sign the petition? https://www.change.org/p/sports-min...f_combo_share_initial&utm_term=share_petition

I stood by Brighton in 97 FWIW....
I think the actions of Middlesbrough and Wycombe are pretty shoddy in this ongoing saga - as far as I am concerned any breaking of FFP rules is between Derby and the EFL.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Sorry but I think punishment should be automatic relegation.

If those are the rules then fine but they're not, much as the EFL board want this to happen.

I have sympathy for the fans at Derby but the rules were put in place to stop owners gambling with football clubs' futures.

It seems like this is exactly what has been done at Derby. If Morris and Derby want this 'witch hunt' to be over then perhaps they can accept their punishment for their wrong doing and stop fighting the EFL through the courts.

The punishment had been accepted, 9 points for FFP, 12 for admin. They've been under an embargo for over a year and this week couldn't even renew a 6 month contract due to the actions of Boro and Wycombe.

I think the actions of Middlesbrough and Wycombe are pretty shoddy in this ongoing saga - as far as I am concerned any breaking of FFP rules is between Derby and the EFL.

Indeed, and the EFL are culpable for allowing this to happen.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Surely you can see why Wycombe at least are pissed off? Had the EFL and Derby sorted it out last season they would have had a deduction that would probably have seen Wycombe playing in the championship this season.

On a general point, I get fed up with those that think this is all punishing the supporters who had nothing to do with it. My take is that when clubs abandon common sense and spend more than they can afford to the level Derby have (and we did in the past) then fans benefit from seeing better players than they should.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Surely you can see why Wycombe at least are pissed off? Had the EFL and Derby sorted it out last season they would have had a deduction that would probably have seen Wycombe playing in the championship this season.

On a general point, I get fed up with those that think this is all punishing the supporters who had nothing to do with it. My take is that when clubs abandon common sense and spend more than they can afford to the level Derby have (and we did in the past) then fans benefit from seeing better players than they should.

You may be surprised to know that Middlesbrough not intervened last year in a bid to be part of the case then it very like would have been last season....

You obviously never say Jacob Butterfield and Ikecha Anya :D

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
You may be surprised to know that Middlesbrough not intervened last year in a bid to be part of the case then it very like would have been last season....

We've all had our duds over the years!!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

Jacob Butterfield is a name I remember with no trouble.

It was his equaliser against Huddersfield that effectively promoted us. Well, his goal plus our general brilliance for large swathes of the season.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Jacob Butterfield is a name I remember with no trouble.

It was his equaliser against Huddersfield that effectively promoted us. Well, his goal plus our general brilliance for large swathes of the season.

Fair to say you have fonder memories of him than we do then :) It's an odd quirk of fate that parts of our current position can be traced to back to the weeks leading up to the signing of Butterfield (and Bradley Johnson), there was cautious optimism under new boss and former Real Madrid cone arranger, Paul Clement, that optimism went up in a ball of flames when Craig Bryson and Will Hughes were ruled out for months within 20 mins of the new season. Their replacements were the aforementioned duo at £4m and £6m respectively, Butterfield was never better than gash, Johnson did well but £6m? That season's signings (Tom Ince aside) were an absolute disaster, oh for the benefit of hindsight :-(

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Surely you can see why Wycombe at least are pissed off.

Coming back to this - There may be as case for Wycombe but if so why did it not materialise until Derby went in to admin? Same for the Boro claim. It is because they were chancing it, they didn't have a leg to stand on in court but knew that a weakened club may be ripe for cash. Fundamentally, this is where they and the EFL are holding Derby over a barrel....

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
The punishment had been accepted, 9 points for FFP, 12 for admin. They've been under an embargo for over a year and this week couldn't even renew a 6 month contract due to the actions of Boro and Wycombe.

So all the punishments have now been accepted? No more fighting through the courts?

I wonder how the situation would be different if they had done this in the first place? It sounds like they wouldn't have had the problems with Boro and Wycombe if this were the case.

You obviously feel different but I am struggling to muster any sympathy for a club that gambled with their financial future while circumventing the rules put in place to stop this happening. They went all in on black (with the fans cheering from the sidelines) and it landed on red.

If their intention is to now accept their mistakes, take their punishment and move on from wherever they are at then I am fully behind them. Is this the case?

Edit: I have just reread the petition and note that the writers do seem to want to move on and accept their punishment. My question remains though, are the club happy to do this too? If so I will think about signing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here