Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Derby docked nine (more) points

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
How ironic that the 2 clubs who were our nemesis in our last 2 play off attempts will, very possibly start next season in League One having not reached the Premier League. It just goes to show, that if you do cheat and spend fortunes on trying to get out of the Championship, (at the right end) you must still spend your dirty lucre wisely.

And yet....there are one or two posters on NSC who have posted dozens of times that we need to shit out our kidneys to sign a proven striker. :shrug:

The ****ing entitled wankers.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
we had some expert on East Midlands Today news talking about this earlier .... with his Peter Ward book on shelf behind him ....

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
It would be one hell of an escape and don't write them off just yet.

I'm still pissed off with Cardiff for keeping them up last season.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The only thing i'd add to this is that we were running massive losses trying to buy our way out of the Championship, we didn't incur any problems with FFP because we got promoted quite soon after ramping up our expenditure. Had that dragged out for another 2 or 3 years probably we'd have breached FFP.

Now i'm sure we wouldn't have buried the losses in the way that Derby did and I'm not saying the situations are 100% comparable, but there's a lot of people on here bemoaning them for overspending. We did just the same, but got away with it

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
The only thing i'd add to this is that we were running massive losses trying to buy our way out of the Championship, we didn't incur any problems with FFP because we got promoted quite soon after ramping up our expenditure. Had that dragged out for another 2 or 3 years probably we'd have breached FFP.

Now i'm sure we wouldn't have buried the losses in the way that Derby did and I'm not saying the situations are 100% comparable, but there's a lot of people on here bemoaning them for overspending. We did just the same, but got away with it

Or, in other words, we didn't breach FFP.

What a nonsense post.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Or Tony would have done the old classic "before you breach the FFP, dont breach the FFP" much like several other clubs.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I still remember matey in the home end at Pride Park, veins in the neck pulsating and giving it large a few feet away in the 2 each debacle with the last minute penalty.

I hope he's enjoying all this.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Looking at Rams forums, there is still a healthy amount of Derby fans principally blaming the EFL and/or Covid-19 for this debacle. There seems to be little acknowledgment of them living beyond there means for a number of years dating back to when we were a Championship club. Morris tried to buy his way out of the Championship and ****ed it. This was documented extensively on NSC as they broke the bank for another Vydra or Lawrence. Smashing FFP rules was clearly an option if you look at the success of Bournemouth and Leicester but, they were gambling on getting promotion, Derby lost and then tried every trick in the book of creative accountancy to cheat.

The whataboutry by some Derby fans has got to this sort of level:

“The EFL are disgrace. They say that they want to protect the integrity of the league, but this has done the opposite. It means that we can pick and choose which games to put any effort into, as the chances of staying up are next to zero This means the integrity of the league is damaged, the thing they say they hold so dear.”

Plucky

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Or, in other words, we didn't breach FFP.

What a nonsense post.

Which I said. But there's plenty on here lording it over Derby and making out we achieved it in a sustainable way. Not the case. We were making very significant losses and would have eventually have had to sell of our high wage earners like Dunk, Duffy, Knocky and Muzza had we not made it up for another couple of years

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Could be an interesting League One next year with potentially Derby , Sunderland, Ipswich , Sheff Wed , Portsmouth , Bolton , Charlton .

And it's LIVE on Sky Sports Premier League Gold.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not at all.

TB always cut our cloth within the FFP losses rules. Much to the annoyance of Poyet and a few NSC posters demanding better players. Losses within strict limits are allowed.

By 30 June 2016 our entire squad had cost £14m.

Contrast that to peak:
Derby £41m.
Massive £25m.

They were cheats, the cheating didn’t pay off and now its time to swallow the punishments.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which I said. But there's plenty on here lording it over Derby and making out we achieved it in a sustainable way. Not the case. We were making very significant losses and would have eventually have had to sell of our high wage earners like Dunk, Duffy, Knocky and Muzza had we not made it up for another couple of years

Ifs and maybes.

In the world of actualities, TB complied by the rules, our spending was a fraction of Derby and Massive’s.

TB didn’t need to end up selling star players, because instead he appointed an excellent manager/coach who turned us into a winning machine. Along with some homegrown players making the grade and astute scouting/transfer business.

Running a football club properly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

The Derby owner Mel Morris sold Pride Park to a Ltd company he'd set up himself (thus falsely giving him some £40m worth of 'breathing space' profit on the published accounts of 2017-18). The Sheffield Wednesday owner Chansiri pulled the same trick, both in an attempt to weasel their way around FFP regulations to turn in a profit, when they'd made nothing of the sort. This was rightly called out by the EFL.

Then there was Derby's "creative" amortisation of players values over the course of their contracts, giving a falsely inflated value of their squad, at odds with how every other club submitted their valuations in the correct manner.

Its also worth pointing out that in the year BHA were promoted to the PL, they carried the 9th highest wagebill in the division.

But other than all that, yes, you're spot on.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Deserved. Morris cheated with FFP, repeatedly. Then the Administration, when the huge overspend on players by the swerving of FFP caught up with them.

Although the fans ultimately see a relegation, they would’ve gleefully taken a bent promotion to the EPL, Morris wasn’t get slagged off when he created that squad.

And let’s face it, no club’s fans have any right to moan whilst they STILL have a ground, AREN’T in the bottom division AND 16 points adrift WHILST other clubs are voting to have you kicked OUT for caring! :rant:

Until then Derby fans, and any others for that matter, there’s nothing to see here… :)

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
And yet....there are one or two posters on NSC who have posted dozens of times that we need to shit out our kidneys to sign a proven striker. :shrug:

The ****ing entitled wankers.

We had 50m in the bank from sale of Ben White and reportedly made an offer in excess of 20m for Nunez. Clearly we did have the funds to finance a striker - we just couldn't get the one we wanted. No kidneys would have needed to have been "shit out" to land Nunez (unless you are suggesting Mr Chairman doesn't have a clue what he is doing)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
We had 50m in the bank from sale of Ben White and reportedly made an offer in excess of 20m for Nunez. Clearly we did have the funds to finance a striker - we just couldn't get the one we wanted. No kidneys would have needed to have been "shit out" to land Nunez (unless you are suggesting Mr Chairman doesn't have a clue what he is doing)

I'm not sure how you can infer that from my post.

Unless you've just come back from Iceland, with a bag full of Solaros ???

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Disagree. Why would a Derby fan suspect wrong doing if they'd been hoodwinked by the board?

Nobody was "hoodwinked". It was obvious what the club was up to - overinflated sponsorship deals, selling the ground to themselves, huge investment in transfer fees and wages... it was obvious they weren't working within the rules to anyone who wasn't purposefully and willfully looking the other way. The fans aren't to blame, but they would have seen these days coming. Failure to get promotion was always going to mean fines and point deductions.

The chickens (Rams?) have finally come home.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here