Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deniz Undav - season long loan to Stuttgart confirmed

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Sure, but fees aren’t paid up front. The likelihood is it would be, say £5m up front. And that’s much more affordable.

Of course being able to spread the transfer fee over a number of seasons does help. But this could be a one off season in terms of a hike of income for Stuttgart. So doubling their record transfer fee still represents a huge investment on their part no matter how the payments are structured, especially as they could see a significant drop off in income next season.

Indeed, any fee stretched out over 2 or 3 seasons may attract a premium, plus assist us with future FFP numbers.

For us it wouldn’t matter how the deal is structured when it comes to when payments are made. The whole transfer fee would be shown in the accounts for the year the player is sold.

Last edited:

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
I can quite clearly remember groans of disappointment when he either started or came in as a sub for us,not the best confidence booster for him from the fans,things started to change for him in the latter part of the season and he played really well I thought.

I'd imagine he's now adored by the Stuttgart fans and probably very happy there so I'd of thought the player himself would prefer to stay put and play champions League football,I'm really pleased for him, he's proved he is indeed a striker that can find the back of the net,I guess actually shooting helps so another reason for him to stay at Stuttgart as our current remit suggests we only like to score walking the ball into the net with the odd goal here and there from open play and penalties,that probably sounds bitchy but that not needed extra pass we seem to do so often is becoming a constant rather than the odd occasion.
Like when Pedro fired the ball into Groß against Chelsea. Instead of taking a touch and shooting he took a touch, took another.. and another and then had to turn back and recycle possession.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Looking at the facts (and reading between the lines) is there actually any connection between his "personal issues" and his loan to Stuttgart this season? I'm not so sure.

* There clearly was an issue halfway through last season. He missed a couple of games at the end of December/start of January (Arsenal at home, Everton away) and then came on as a sub in the Cup at Middlesbrough and scored (and was clearly emotional, as was the reaction of all his teammates). The Argus reported "Deniz Undav, who had missed previous matches due to personal reasons, ..." Without wishing to indulge in idle gossip, this would all suggest that there was a personal issue he was dealing with (possibly involving a family member).

* When his loan to Stuttgart went through, RDZ was reported as saying they let him go "with regret". "Last year he was crucial for us in achieving our goals, but he deserves that chance." David Weir said Undav "wants to play every week" and Albion "respect" his wishes.

Sounds to me like the loan came about not because of any ongoing personal issues but because Undav demanded more regular playing time than Albion were willing to grant him.
His goal celebration @ Middlesbrough last January & some of the post-match comments from I think Webster? seemed to support the case of some kind of family bereavement.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Looking at the facts (and reading between the lines) is there actually any connection between his "personal issues" and his loan to Stuttgart this season? I'm not so sure.

* There clearly was an issue halfway through last season. He missed a couple of games at the end of December/start of January (Arsenal at home, Everton away) and then came on as a sub in the Cup at Middlesbrough and scored (and was clearly emotional, as was the reaction of all his teammates). The Argus reported "Deniz Undav, who had missed previous matches due to personal reasons, ..." Without wishing to indulge in idle gossip, this would all suggest that there was a personal issue he was dealing with (possibly involving a family member).

* When his loan to Stuttgart went through, RDZ was reported as saying they let him go "with regret". "Last year he was crucial for us in achieving our goals, but he deserves that chance." David Weir said Undav "wants to play every week" and Albion "respect" his wishes.

Sounds to me like the loan came about not because of any ongoing personal issues but because Undav demanded more regular playing time than Albion were willing to grant him.
Looking at the facts...my take is the opposite of what you suggest.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I don't think Undav will be coming back as he's going to want and expect to be a guaranteed first team starter now wherever he ends up and he won't be that here.

If Stuttgart can afford him, it makes total sense for him to move there. If we can get anything around £20m or more, then I think everyone goes away happy.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thanks as ever.
As to your first point, there were a few Lallana interviews released (in the middle of?) last season, and in one he specifically mentioned that he'd been having a really tough time.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Last estimate from various articles was €20m. Widely reported it was a performance based fee which has been going up with the goals he’s scored. Still a sum you’d think they could afford.
They will when they sell their top scorer, Guirassy, for around the same sum, due to his release clause. They won’t want to lose both of their main strikers before going into the Champions League.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
I don't think Undav will be coming back as he's going to want and expect to be a guaranteed first team starter now wherever he ends up and he won't be that here.

If Stuttgart can afford him, it makes total sense for him to move there. If we can get anything around £20m or more, then I think everyone goes away happy.
For what it's worth, at Stuttgart, he's played 68% of the total possible minutes in the league.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I believe some can be paid up front. Barber has mentioned in a pod cast that transfer fees can be dependent on the structure of the deal i.e. cheaper if paid in one go, more expensive if paid over time.
Yeh, absolutely. But either way they often aren’t paid up front. And from an accounting perspective they’re amortized across the contract anyway. Basically, it’s highly unlikely a CL club can’t afford that fee.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I don't see the debate about how many minutes, he would get. We create lots of chances and Undav is the most natural goalscorer on the clubs books atm. It was a mistake not to play him more and give him the love when he was here. Always looked happy enough on the pitch to me. RDZ got it wrong with Undav, (just as he did with the Keeper rotation) get him back, give him a cuddle and move on. Would get 16+ goals easy in this team. And your not finding that anywhere, unless your paying North of £60m.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here