[Albion] Deniz Undav - season long loan to Stuttgart confirmed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
My opinion is we let the euphoria of the last few months of the season cloud our judgement on Undav. He wasn’t at the standard we need.

Of his 8 goals, three came against lower league opposition in the cup, 2 were part of a 6 goal demolition of a shocking wolves side and two were in games we were treating like dead rubbers and we lost. Arguably his only truly meaningful goal was against Arsenal.

We play one up top and he’s fourth on the list by some distance for a reason.

Wish him all the best and thanks for everything but let’s not overplay the significance.
That is debatable, and besides, neither Saudi's nor Villa were treating them as dead rubbers. DU noticeably grew in confidence as the season wore on, and I think we could have used him this season. This loan is probably pushed by him, as others have said. I would've bet a tenner that he was gonna smash his pen over the bar in the semi-final; glad I didn't.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Triffic, this is akin to letting Peter Ward go out on loan because he's scoring far too many goals! Who's running this club, Dirty Dan Jobsworth.

Refuse to go Deniz! Save Undav! Barber out.

P.S I demand my Granddaughter's replica shirt UNDAV lettering money back and I don't want a 10 page email saying he'll be back either.

Muppets.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It is a bit weird after so many PL seasons before De Zerbi, desperate for goals that we are all fairly comfortable loaning out a player with 5 PL goals in just over 600 minutes of playing time, considering it was his first season in England and the personal difficulties that he was reportedly having in the middle of it. None of our forwards can expect to start the majority of games though, and I think this is more Undavs desire to play than De Zerbi not wanting him around.
I fully expect to have him back next season, there will be big money after Ferguson, Jaoa Pedro, and Enciso next summer, Welbeck will be 33 and is not going to play 90 minutes very often, if at all. Good Luck Denis and hope you make that Germany squad.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Any chance of a mod updating the thread title please? Something like “Undav - season long loan to Stuttgart confirmed”

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
It wouldn't be fair to keep him here.

He worked so hard last season for us.

With our new signings, he will barely get a sniff of first team football. He deserves this great opportunity - Stuttgart is a massive club.

Wish him best of luck, will keep an eye out for their fixtures.
Think towards the end of last season he came on leaps could of been a starter hope he scores loads at stuttgart wish him nothing but a great season

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It wouldn't be fair to keep him here.

He worked so hard last season for us.

With our new signings, he will barely get a sniff of first team football. He deserves this great opportunity - Stuttgart is a massive club.

Wish him best of luck, will keep an eye out for their fixtures.
Agree with those ideas. Did he have to go to Germany though? If it was a family/homesickness thing, fair enough - but I'd have preferred it if he'd gone to a PL club (not a rival one though). I read somewhere (on NSC presumably) that some Wolves fans would have liked him there, and obviously he would have been a good shout for Everton. Success at either of those would have increased his profile more than going to Stuttgart, I think.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Agree with those ideas. Did he have to go to Germany though? If it was a family/homesickness thing, fair enough - but I'd have preferred it if he'd gone to a PL club (not a rival one though). I read somewhere (on NSC presumably) that some Wolves fans would have liked him there, and obviously he would have been a good shout for Everton. Success at either of those would have increased his profile more than going to Stuttgart, I think.
One poster mentioned his Wolves supporting mate wanted him there, unfortunately that carries no weight with Wolves actually wanting to sign him.

When it became obvious he was available for loan then any Premier League clubs interested would have made an enquiry. We can't just magic up interest in a player. As it is it appears only Stuttgart were interested and that Denis favoured a move back to Germany for personal reasons so its a totally moot point.

Last edited:

est.83

Dec 6, 2003
Estonia
If he really has ambitions to go to the Euro24 with die Mannschaft, it is absolutely right choice for him.

It is certainly more likely that he can score ~15 goals in BL (last season Niclas Füllkrug got 16 goals and is now a regular in national team) than getting enough goals (and attention) for teams like Wolves or Everton.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
One poster mentioned his Wolves supporting mate wanted him there, unfortunately that carries no weight with Wolves actually wanting to sign him.
Of course the opinion of a few fans on a website doesn't mean the club is going to have the same opinion.
When it became obvious he was available for loan then any Premier League clubs interested would have made an enquiry. We can't just magic up interest in a player. As it is it appears only Stuttgart were interested and that Denis favoured a move back to Germany for personal reasons so its a totally moot point.
Magic up interest? - of course not. But when we are looking for a loan for a player, do you seriously think we don't sound out clubs we think would be a good fit, and potentially might be interested in loaning them? Of course clubs are looking for loans that wil improve their team, or fill a temporary gap, but the loaning clubs are just as pro-active in the process.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To be fair we don’t know who was interested….

What we do know is that Denis preferred a move back home, which I totally get.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Of course the opinion of a few fans on a website doesn't mean the club is going to have the same opinion.

Magic up interest? - of course not. But when we are looking for a loan for a player, do you seriously think we don't sound out clubs we think would be a good fit, and potentially might be interested in loaning them? Of course clubs are looking for loans that wil improve their team, or fill a temporary gap, but the loaning clubs are just as pro-active in the process.

To be fair we don’t know who was interested….

What we do know is that Denis preferred a move back home, which I totally get.
Of course we are proactive when it comes to finding loan clubs, but there was zero noise other than Stuttgart from the very start. As we’ve seen now no matter how close our club play their cards to their chest news breaks more often than not. If any other clubs had made an enquiry it would have more than likely been mentioned somewhere on the Twitterverse. So it’s not exactly a leap to think that there were no other suitors for Denis.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is still sad news.
Not quite on a par with when Tomer posted him looking dejected as we signed Big Jurg and someone else, writes, 'what it feels like when your club sign two strikers', but it's not far off.

I'd love to see him (and Pascal) in the German squad for the Euros.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Good luck Deniz.

Think this and Sarmiento going may mean we have another Joao Pedro style signing up out sleeves, ie a player who can play anywhere across the front three.
Kudus?
If Chelsea or Arsenal wanted him why aren't they in for him? All the early rumours suggested 'the deal is complicated'. Maybe that meant 'Brighton have agreed terms with the player but want/need to move a few players on'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports