[Albion] Deniz Undav - season long loan to Stuttgart confirmed

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Robert Codners Nostrils

Oct 12, 2004
NYC
Disappointing due to his form at the back end of last season. But not overly surprising. As it is, one of Pedro, Welbeck, and Ferguson will be on the bench. Due to the sheer quality (especially if Caicedo stays) and numbers that we have in midfield, I can see us playing with 5 in midfield and one up top quite often. Mitoma, march, adringa, Gilmour, Caicedo, dahoud, alzate, enciso, Lallana, Gross, buonanotte, Milner, Ayari….competition in those positions will be fierce and I can really see us going with an extra midfielder/number 10 when you look at the quality from that extensive list of players. Sad to see Undav go, but the reality is he wouldn’t get the game time that keeps him content. Other players will also need to get used to missing out and De Zerbi’s man management skills will be vital!!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Very strange decision just when he was really starting to look the business

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Having listened to RDZ post match interview it did sound as though Undav might be leaving which could be for any number of reasons but I recall he had some personal issues early last season so that might be the route cause.
As a fan it would be sad to see him leave as he offers something different to any of the other strikers we have he’s that fox in the box

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I don't have the stats to prove it but I bet in his end of season run, his shots to goals ratio was one of the top in the league, hence v surprised..as others have said might have let Bouanette out on loan or dare I say it, release Lallana! (Don't, just don't)
Release Lallana?!! You sure?! That is one of the most RIDICULOUS things I’ve ever read on here! 😂

Release Lallana?!! You sure?! That is one of the most RIDICULOUS things I’ve ever read on here! 😂
U obviously don't get humour.. seriously though wonder how much time Lallana will play. even if fit I definitely wouldn't put him ahead of Enciso and Mitoma,

el punal

U obviously don't get humour.. seriously though wonder how much time Lallana will play. even if fit I definitely wouldn't put him ahead of Enciso and Mitoma,
How much will Lallana play? Probably not a lot, but that is probably secondary to how much experience, knowledge and influence he has to motivate the younger members of the squad. RDZ recognises that, as he does with bringing Milner into the fold.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Ridiculous decision,I've enough points to buy a milkshake in Burger King! I'll never step foot in another German restaurant again! :mad:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Reportedly it's a loan with an option to buy, we want rid.
Depends where we have set the figure for the buy option, I don't think we want rid, but I also think that if the club could recoup Joao Pedro fee with selling Undav that would be seen as a free upgrade.

Undav himself has said that he has hopes of making the Germany squad, so he would consider a move to the Bundesliga if it gave him the chance to show his worth more than he might be able to do at Brighton.

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
RDZ favours 4-3-2-1 - with the 1 often having to play deep when / hold it up we try and break the press
It's not a 4-3-2-1, it's either a 4-2-3-1 or a 4-2-4 depending on how you want to look at it.

The two central forward players alternate dropping deep and play like double false 9s almost.

We also build up in a 2-4-2-2 with the wingers the furthest players forward, hence how Adingra scored against Brentford.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I would of thought that we will need 4 forwards this season , to cover all the matches with injuries and suspensions
That’s confirmation for me. He talks about only needing 3 strikers as well as the possibility of an exit. I just hope we’re being properly financially compensated from his departure. I genuinely had him down as getting double figures this season.

However, I understand the limitations. JP, Welbz and Ferguson are all good enough to drop deep and play as an attacking midfielder or playmaker. Undav struggles with this but in my mind, was turning into a supreme penalty box poacher, the sort that wins you match after match.
Absolutely, he was on fire at the end of last season and like you l could have seen him carrying that goal scoring form on this time around. Hard not to feel a bit sorry for him, he seems to have put in the hard yards on the training pitch since he arrived, and has improved considerably.

Things are what they are though, Joao Pedro has come in, is more flexible, can play as a striker, out wide, or more deep, that's the RDZ philosophy. Perhaps Undav, or the club (maybe both), think the best thing is to move him on. He is certainly at an age where he needs to be playing more regular first team football.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
RDZ said in his interview that three strikers is enough. Presumably Welbeck, Pedro & Ferguson will compete for the most advanced position whilst also competing with Enciso, Lallana & Buonanotte for the second striker role. Pedro, Welbeck Enciso & Buonanotte also in a pool with Adingra, March & Mitoma for the wing places. Pascal can of course, play anywhere. You can see that someone was going to struggle for game time and Deniz sadly seems the least equipped to play roles other than his main one. A loan home with the chance to prove himself in the Bundesliga will hopefully have made his time with us worthwhile. With a history of Gerd Muller and Miroslav Klose, the Germans seem to like a finisher. Fingers crossed for him. Seems a good lad.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I wonder why Glenn chose to come to the States with us when he could have done the Palace pre-season at Walsall, Stevenage, Ipswich, Charlton.........?
4 preseason defining games right there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports