Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Why did he buy a house here? Because he's a Brighton player and staying at Brighton this season, and he's known that for a long time. Doesn't change the point that I think he would have welcomed being sold to Leeds (and doesn't change the point that I am sure he will be 100% committed to Brighton. Seems he has the right character and temperament to be in huge demand and tipped for England)

Property is a good investment for a soon to be multi millionaire though. How many 22 year olds buy houses for 900k? Different world :) has he sold his place oop North?

I hope he can see that being a star player in a recently promoted and weak (by PL standards) Leeds side has the potential to affect his form badly if/when Leeds get found out. Potter has shown that he trusts youth and is willing to play youngsters. White will be much better off being eased into the PL at the Albion. If he’s good enough he’ll soon be a regular imo.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Could always hand in a transfer request. He hasn’t though. Doesn’t undermine what you’ve said, just implies it’s not big an issue for him

No, it's not life or death for him, certainly. He's professional with the right character and temperament and the ambition to succeed at the very highest level. Its not like he's stuck in the championship a la Mooy this time last year, he knows he's in good hands.

Anyone ever heard of a young player like White putting in a transfer request before? Usually the last resort of an experienced player who feels he's given his best to his club and wants to advance in the game. Career suicide for someone at White's stage of career.

I am interested to know how he and his agent have played it with Brighton, but we'll never know. And we'll have been talking with him about his plans continuously, we'll have known for a good six months that Leeds would want to sign him permanently.

I simply feel that if we have accepted Leeds' bid, he wouldn't have turned them down.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Do I have to repost my epic text on the matter for a third time? Took me ages to write :lolol:

Here's the highlights ;) I think my full post is worth a read though, which argues what we all know, why we are sure he will ultimately find Brighton an even better place to be. https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?381368-Deluded-Leeds-fans/page84

That link will take people to page 84 of this thread. What is on page 84 will be different for different people based on their posts per page count. For me, there are no posts by you on page 84.

https://www.northstandchat.com/show...d-Leeds-fans&p=9469365&viewfull=1#post9469365 This link should take people to a specific post, but havnig hunted it out, I might as quote it...

You've said this a lot, and for the sake of brevity and perhaps stopping this argument going round and round and round, I am more than happy to agree with you. I think he would be delighted to go. But I also think he will be excited to stay.

To expand, I'll repost something that I wrote a week or so back and is lost in the hundreds of pages we have devoted to this saga...

I think White would be delighted to go. Not saying he wouldn't be excited to stay either, he will be in the premier league regardless, but if he really had a choice....?

Look at the evidence. He's loved by their fans, the players, the manager. He's been an integral part of their most successful season in almost two decades, playing every minute and named man of the match on numerous occasions. He knows he would be 100% on the pitch first game next season, and like all footballers he will want to play. He knows Leeds style of play, he knows that he perfectly fits their style of play, he knows his teammates and how they play. He is more suited to succeed instantly at Leeds. If his ambition is to go all the way to the top, the quickest route is through Leeds.

At Brighton he doesn't (yet) know these things. They're are far more uncertainties at Brighton than Leeds. He probably won't be in the starting eleven for the first game of the season and will have to fight for a chance, and he has to learn our style and where he fits.

But in time he will know we're a pretty damn fine club ourselves. GP will want to get him game time - and will feel pressured to give him game time - so he will be out there, but he won't be the number one defender in our team. He is still in his development stage and too much pressure may harm him. There are potentially more pitfalls at Leeds - if the team starts shipping goals and he isn't ready to be under concerted pressure by world class strikers, he will find himself in the firing line game in game out - and as the centre piece of their defence, nowhere to hide. But Bielsa IS a top coach, and he knows he'll be in good hands there. When he gets to know Potter he'll understand the same at Brighton.

Development is rarely linear, and White has barely had a setback in his career to date. How that affects him mentally we don't know - but he must be confident. There are bound to be difficulties next season, and how he deals with them will determine if he goes to the top top level. The big clubs will be talking to him already, they probably won't pay £25m now because they'll think nothing of paying £40m if he proves himself - but they'll be laying the groundwork to try and get White to choose them when the time comes.

I want him to stay because there are glimpses of potential greatness, and we don't get many of those. I was well aware of him at Newport and Boro, but his Leeds performances have completely opened my eyes and yes, surprised me at how composed he was. His character seems awesome. I know if I was a Leeds fan I would be desperate to sign him and would make all these same arguments. The biggest loss we had on a loan player we wanted to keep was Sidwell, and it was gutting to lose him. But it's a shame to denigrate Brighton in the process. He doesn't want to go because the fans are better or the setup better or the manager better - all of these are subjective and each of us is biased in our assessments. He would want to go simply because he's had the best year of his life and why would anyone in that position want to change that? Just human nature. If you're enjoying yourself, stay on that ride as long as you can. Once he understands that isn't possible, he is bound to be affected by it. That's where he needs the support of his agents and family to stop him making bad career decisions. He may well be feeling a little down, he has to get himself together and push on with his new opportunity. How he reacts to this situation will say a lot about how far he can go in the game. My confidence is that he'll find another exciting ride at Brighton, that the likes of Potter, Ashworth, Weir, Bruno and his teammates, Dunk, Lallana and Connolly chief among them, will give him the support, time and welcome he needs. As a Brighton fan I have the utmost faith in this group of people to bring out the best in White.

I'm certain Tony Bloom does too. I remember four occasions in the past seven or eight years when players put in transfer requests, when we were championship and premier league clubs wanted them. Ulloa was allowed to go. The other three were not. Bridcutt sulked and got his move in the winter. I didn't hold that grudge (many did) he was a great player for us. It never worked out for him, but that's by the by. The other two were Dunk and Stephens. They were denied their move, got back down to it and are still here, captain and vice captain, two club legends (whatever the Dale detractors might have you believe!). The story goes that Hughton knew they would keep performing, so we could be brave and keep them. Character is all important, and I think Ben White has it in spades. If the club thought he didn't, they'd sell him.

Right, written far too much now. He better be good in the premier league after all this :lolol:

Personally, I think I see your point. I don't know if Ben White 'wants' to join Leeds, but I can totally see him being happy to move there if that's how things pan out. Along with the hero worshipping, the familiarity, the bonds, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if a team like Leeds would pay more to a player they expect to be a regular starter than we would to a player we expect to mostly be on the bench. Yes he has just bought a house, but that could easily become an investment rather than a home. He can rent it out to Brighton players, future managers/coaches etc. There are loads of people who own multiple properties (Jurgen Klopp quite famously lives in a house owned by Brendan Rodgers), it doesn't tie him to us.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
I hope he can see that being a star player in a recently promoted and weak (by PL standards) Leeds side has the potential to affect his form badly if/when Leeds get found out. Potter has shown that he trusts youth and is willing to play youngsters. White will be much better off being eased into the PL at the Albion. If he’s good enough he’ll soon be a regular imo.

Absolutely. All in the extended version of my post :lolol: He's definitely in the right place for the next stage of his development :thumbsup:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No, it's not life or death for him, certainly. He's professional with the right character and temperament and the ambition to succeed at the very highest level. Its not like he's stuck in the championship a la Mooy this time last year, he knows he's in good hands.

Anyone ever heard of a young player like White putting in a transfer request before? Usually the last resort of an experienced player who feels he's given his best to his club and wants to advance in the game. Career suicide for someone at White's stage of career.

I am interested to know how he and his agent have played it with Brighton, but we'll never know. And we'll have been talking with him about his plans continuously, we'll have known for a good six months that Leeds would want to sign him permanently.

I simply feel that if we have accepted Leeds' bid, he wouldn't have turned them down.

His agent may be half the problem (in my opinion). After all. he's been suspended before for dodgy dealings regarding the Dale Stephens sale to us from Charlton.

Edited to add, we knew Leeds wanted to buy him after the loan, so more than a good six months. That's why we said no then.

Last edited:

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

I simply feel that if we have accepted Leeds' bid, he wouldn't have turned them down

Yep, agree with that. I really hope this works out, would love to see how good he is in blue and white

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
His agent may be half the problem (in my opinion). After all. he's been suspended before for dodgy dealings regarding the Dale Stephens sale to us from Charlton.

From White's perspective he's probably doing a great job. The kids becoming famous without having kicked a ball in the premier league. Featured in the BBCs outside chances for the euros article today. Interest drummed up from the biggest clubs in England and even overseas. His name in all the sports pages. And ultimately I think we can all agree he will eventually receive and sign a bigger contract offer than if he had just returned from Leeds silently with no fanfare.

And all this without Ben himself saying anything publicly, and crucially no quotes from any 'sources close to White' suggesting he is interested in a move. He's just knuckling down to preseason training.

If his agent is drumming up this publicity without stirring the pot at Brighton, that will be pretty impressive. But who knows really :shrug:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Do I have to repost my epic text on the matter for a third time? Took me ages to write :lolol:

Here's the highlights ;) I think my full post is worth a read though, which argues what we all know, why we are sure he will ultimately find Brighton an even better place to be. https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?381368-Deluded-Leeds-fans/page84

I think White would be delighted to go. Not saying he wouldn't be excited to stay either, he will be in the premier league regardless, but if he really had a choice....?

Look at the evidence. He's loved by their fans, the players, the manager. He's been an integral part of their most successful season in almost two decades, playing every minute and named man of the match on numerous occasions. He knows he would be 100% on the pitch first game next season, and like all footballers he will want to play. He knows Leeds style of play, he knows that he perfectly fits their style of play, he knows his teammates and how they play. Bielsa IS a top coach, and he knows he'll be in good hands there. He is more suited to succeed instantly at Leeds. If his ambition is to go all the way to the top, the quickest route is through Leeds.

At Brighton he doesn't (yet) know these things. They're are far more uncertainties at Brighton than Leeds. He probably won't be in the starting eleven for the first game of the season and will have to fight for a chance, and he has to learn our style and where he fits.

But most of all, I don't think the reason why he would want to go has anything to do with whether the fans are better or the clubs history better or the setup better or the manager better. He would want to go simply because he's just had the best year of his life and why would anyone in that position want to change that? Just human nature. If you're enjoying yourself, stay on that ride as long as you can.

Your calculations seem based on a number of factors but are missing the most important; in which squad/team is Ben most likely to be with players that are of sufficient PL quality to enhance his game. I think we both know the answer to this question, particularly as he would be their best defender whereas at Brighton he would have experienced players to learn from. Professional development is more important than adulation from 50 year old fat, balding weirdos with questionable grasp of the English language.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
He was trolling, fishing and warned for it. He took no notice.

Brighton fans are entitled to their own opinions on Brighton matches even when they’re wrong. That’s all part & parcel of a forum, but away fans who post here purely to troll are dealt with accordingly.
Someone mentioned Dougie. I would agree that different standards exist for that poster. He always has a pathetic short one-liner and never debates reasonably as some of his fellow palace fans do.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Once again, Leeds fans, Bielsa didn’t ‘make’ Ben White.
Brighton knew what a special player he was six years ago, and have carefully managed his development and experience.

This is a a good manager, Michael Flynn of Newport County, predicting that Ben would play for England, way back in September 2017.

https://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/s...of-praise-for-brighton-hove-albion-loan-star/

I watched Ben play at Oxford United, for Brighton in the League Cup in 2016, and have the programme, so don’t come on Nsc, saying we don’t know what we’re doing.
Poor deluded fools, who want to believe that Ben loves only them, when he has already bought his own house here, and gone on holiday with his friend from his days in the U23s.

Get over yourselves. The affair is finished.
I remember BW marking Harry Kane when Newport played against Spurs in the cup. You could see then that BW was a player that will go on and play at the highest level.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why did he buy a house here? Because he's a Brighton player and staying at Brighton this season, and he's known that for a long time. Doesn't change the point that I think he would have welcomed being sold to Leeds (and doesn't change the point that I am sure he will be 100% committed to Brighton. Seems he has the right character and temperament to be in huge demand and tipped for England)

Property is a good investment for a soon to be multi millionaire though. How many 22 year olds buy houses for 900k? Different world :) has he sold his place oop North?

Yes, he obviously had a highly enjoyable year at Leeds, and I don't think anybody on here has ever tried to suggest that he wouldn't have been happy to go back again if that had been the plan. That's a lot different to all the 'he's desperate to stay at Leeds', 'he doesn't want to play for Brighton' bollox we've been getting.
FWIW I'd have been quite happy to lend him back to Leeds for another season (with a very hefty loan fee and absolutely no question of a sale) so that he'd come back to us next year with a year in the PL (and the inevitable mistakes which will be part of the learning process) under his belt. Not with all the fvckwittery from Leeds though! - although I don't think Leeds the club have done much wrong. However, I think he'll be better off here, being eased into the PL with better players round him rather than trying to hold together a team that was crumbling round him.
Looking forward to seeing him in the (bloody awful) 'stripes' this year, and hope he is too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Sorry, I'm derailing this thread :flounce: So I've found a few of the latest #freebenwhite tweets for our delectation

[tweet]1298180061024092160[/tweet]

[tweet]1298103301590986753 [/tweet]

[tweet]1298021321247469571[/tweet]

Christ embedding tweets is hard work...

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Your calculations seem based on a number of factors but are missing the most important; in which squad/team is Ben most likely to be with players that are of sufficient PL quality to enhance his game. I think we both know the answer to this question, particularly as he would be their best defender whereas at Brighton he would have experienced players to learn from. Professional development is more important than adulation from 50 year old fat, balding weirdos with questionable grasp of the English language.

He'll get plenty of that at Brighton anyway.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016

I think the point being made is that he'd have been very happy to stay at Leeds and also very happy to come home to Brighton. Either option is great for him right now.

Since everyone seems to be speculating on what he wants, without any evidence whatsoever, I'll join in. I don't think he gives a sh*t either way. I think he's just happy he will be playing in the PL, and will keep building his career. He'll be able to see advantages either way. It's just fans with tinted glasses that can only see one side of the equation. Mind you, Leeds fans mainly seem to wearing glasses as modelled by Stevie Wonder...

I'd also guess that he'd be happy to go to Liverpool or Chelsea if they come along, waving wads of cash. Why not?

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
So Leeds reckon that they developed White and made him into a £25-£30 million player, and his price will only go up playing Bucketman ball of what ever it is.
Now let's say White signs an improved contract with us, he plays regularly in our side, we finish top half and he is the stand out player. Leeds on the other hand and this is mho with the players they have and the type of football they play will struggle and end up in bottom three. If White was at Leeds I believe that his value would go down, but staying at Brighton his value increases.
I know that this is all if's and but's could we then say.

Thank you Leeds for making a £25 million player, but by going to you this season would turn him into a £5 million player. By staying with us we have made him into a £60-£70 million player
I wonder if Leeds fans would agree, or try to put some spin on it for there own delusions?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
From a Leeds forum

Maybe you think it's impossible but we have almost the same players we had when we finished 13th in championship, playing bielsa style we won the championship , already Leeds utd have some premier class players , and a few additions in the right areas and I believe Leeds can match 4 of the top 6 in the premiership with exception to Liverpool and man city ,wins elsewhere at lesser teams could do it , don't forget Leicester city had a worse team than leeds when they were almost relegated from premier League and the following season went on to win it , also at the start of the coming season there will be no crowd so not as much pressure on Leeds as with a crowd also Leeds utd are an unknown force this season and can get off to a flying start , what's your thoughts and ideas to how and why Leeds can win the premiership 2020 - 2021 season if we do it will be an EL LOCO season

sniffer1, Aug 3, 2020

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here