Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Leeds to give Liverpool a footballing masterclass first game of the season!

I saw a tweet this morning that Klopp would be "crapping his pants" at facing Bielsa in first game. Never quite sure if this a wind up or genuinely believed.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I saw a tweet this morning that Klopp would be "crapping his pants" at facing Bielsa in first game. Never quite sure if this a wind up or genuinely believed.

Given the White fiasco I’m sure Leeds DO think that.

Perception / reality gap widens.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
has Bielsa signed his new deal yet? NO? FFS
I'll come back tomorrow.

Telegraph (behind paywall) reporting contract is all agreed, but they just need "to find time to schedule signing before season starts"

You what? In 3 weeks you can't slot in a few signing pictures, even at the training ground?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/08/20/leeds-united-agree-new-contract-marcelo-bielsa/

It's actually that Leeds agree, as a basketcase for years of course they do, but will Bielsa agree

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I asked this yesterday - but if his contract has expired and he hasn't signed a new one, I wonder what the conditions of his work permit in the UK are? Is a break in employment breaking his visa?

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I asked this yesterday - but if his contract has expired and he hasn't signed a new one, I wonder what the conditions of his work permit in the UK are? Is a break in employment breaking his visa?

guessing he isn't technically working, ie not getting paid

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

I was thinking whether that was a possibility. Leeds could bung White the £1500k to buy himself out of his contract and walk away but Brighton would still hold his registration and wouldn't release it, so I'm not sure that's the solution.

And I'm no lawyer but I'm pretty sure that Leeds doing that would constitue an illegal payment and could well lead to a points deduction

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Huh? Or he’s not for sale. Why is that so difficult to grasp..?

https://twitter.com/jamestaylor1/status/1296346686906925058

I just do not understand what they find so confusing about the process?

When a club does not want to sell a player - a ludicrous value is put on them to enable that club to keep the player in question. Every now and then, a club will meet that value (Man Utd-Maguire, Liverpool-VVD) but in general, only a handful of clubs around the world have the resource to do that and Leeds Utd will NEVER be one of them.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_ruling

Surely the 3 years would automatically restart every time a new contract was signed, so they have another 2 years to wait. Very few players have ever invoked this ruling, if any beyond Andy Webster who it’s named after.

Edit - I also like that the tweet also moans about how unfair the FA are Leeds have to start against Liverpool. Can we dub the game “The Victim Complex Derby”

Last edited:

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
When a club does not want to sell a player - a ludicrous value is put on them to enable that club to keep the player in question.

A certain team up the road have being doing this with a certain player for years... :whistle:

Every now and then, a club will meet that value

... and this has never happened for that certain player! :lolol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Webster_ruling

Surely the 3 years would automatically restart every time a new contract was signed, so they have another 2 years to wait. Very few players have ever invoked this ruling, if any beyond Andy Webster who it’s named after.

I didn't know about that, I was thinking purely in terms of White buying himself out of his contract,

One thing that no-one has mentioned in this saga, as far as I can see, is what happens in January when we leave the EU. Players have freedom of movement because of EU regulations (that's how Bosman came about) but what if the government rescinded EU labour laws? It could be that even after White's contract is up, a club would still have to pay a fee to buy him.

It's surprising that none of the EU stuff on this site has mentioned this, but it must be a very real possibility

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Edit - I also like that the tweet also moans about how unfair the FA are Leeds have to start against Liverpool. Can we dub the game “The Victim Complex Derby”

I believe the comment about the FA effing the club over is in relation to the breaking news of sanctions for using fireworks to celebrate their promotion/title win, not the Liverpool fixture.

EDIT:

https://www.skysports.com/football/...ged-by-fa-for-promotion-celebrations-at-derby

Leeds have been charged by the FA over their Premier League promotion celebrations following their victory at Derby last season.

Leeds marked their first game since winning the Championship title by coming from behind to win 3-1 at a behind-closed-doors Pride Park on July 19.

Their players celebrated their achievements together pitchside by lighting flares, with the Elland Road club given until September 3 to respond to the charge.

An FA spokesperson said in a statement: "It is alleged that the club failed to ensure its players and/or officials conducted themselves in an orderly fashion as pyrotechnic devices were used following the conclusion of the fixture."

The fixture between Leeds and Derby has become the subject of increased rivalry in the past two years, following 'Spygate' - when a member of Leeds staff had been found watching Derby train from a public footpath.

Leeds' director of football Victor Orta was also seen dancing with binoculars after last month's Championship encounter, which began with Derby giving the league champions a guard of honour.​

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here