Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
I spent two years of my life studying Hamlet in the Sixth Form and very enjoyable it was too. It is a play I know back to front, although obviously I have to look up exact quotations as my memory is not what it was. I can still recite great chunks of it though, and silently speak the character's lines before they do in the theatre. I studied it before Google was invented, that is why I know it so well, perhaps.

And that was my earlier point. It is an inexhaustible source of pleasure which lasts a whole lifetime. Why don't (many) bog standard comprehensives seem capable of teaching to the same depth, nowadays? Or rather, why don't the A Level exams demand it?

You should sign up bielsa so you don't have to think about it again, then you can concentrate on rebuilding your squad. It's a tough ask, the first season, the odds and the gods are against you

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Every time there is speculation on his value, there are accusations of Brighton being greedy money grabbers.
Brighton has acted with class and dignity throughout and politely said, he’s not for sale.

Yes, when you break down the madness. This analogy sums it up I think:

I really like your car, can I buy it?
Sorry, it’s not for sale.
I’ll offer £500 for it.
Thank you, uh, but it’s not for sale..
Ok, how about £800...?

Sorry, it’s not for sale...

FFS WHY YOU’RE SO GREEDY?? ITS NEVER WORTH MORE THAN THAT [emoji35]

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
More Brighton players get into the Chelsea team than Leeds players get into the Brighton team yet they still think that they're going to easily survive and many feel like they'll push for Europe.. The delusion is actually laughable. They have been so far behind us for so long now that they've won arguably the poorest Championship in 15 years they think they're the other United.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I spent two years of my life studying Hamlet in the Sixth Form and very enjoyable it was too. It is a play I know back to front, although obviously I have to look up exact quotations as my memory is not what it was. I can still recite great chunks of it though, and silently speak the character's lines before they do in the theatre. I studied it before Google was invented, that is why I know it so well, perhaps.

And that was my earlier point. It is an inexhaustible source of pleasure which lasts a whole lifetime. Why don't (many) bog standard comprehensives seem capable of teaching to the same depth, nowadays? Or rather, why don't the A Level exams demand it?

Oh FFS give it a rest. I studied Hamlet at O level & can't remember a thing about it. Start a Shakespeare thread on WACCOE if you want to chat about it, I'm sure the Leeds intelligentsia will pander to your blathering.

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
No 'The play's the thing.'

Enjoy the play. If you don't like some of a director's choices, then don't like them. It doesn't necessarily ruin the rest of a production if you still keep an open mind. However, admit to yourself that it was because of your gut reaction to having women in the roles. We all have to accept and understand our own prejudices if we are to respond to them in a positive way.

Don't waste your time looking up quotes that allow you to reverse engineer a reason to have been outraged. It's not convincing and just makes you look like someone who just refuses to accept other viewpoints. A bit like football fans desperately combing the internet, trying to find reasons why the words 'He's not for sale' do not really mean 'He's not for sale.'

"Wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King."

That is the meaning of that quotation, Hamlet was using the play within the play to dramatise old Hamlet's murder with poison in the ear whilst sleeping, to demonstrate Claudius' guilt, not make some modish argument that gender is a social construct.

The casting of R and G as women was meant to be edgy and daring but it came across as merely sad and desperate. And it doesn't honour the integrity of the text.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Someone on The Athletic has said Brighton are being really disrespectful to Bielsa :O

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020
Don't waste your time looking up quotes that allow you to reverse engineer a reason to have been outraged.

Re reading the scene was most decidedly NOT a waste of time, it was a pleasure, just for the record. And of course it refuted you, always a bonus!

In fact it has prompted me to read the whole play again, I think, when I get a moment away from the deep joy this thread brings. It is amazing how much you forget, and how beautiful the language is.

And I was reminded that the Guildernstern quote provides the title for a very esteemed memoir of the First World War by an Australian veteran. I forget his name. Must read that too...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Someone on The Athletic has said Brighton are being really disrespectful to Bielsa :O

It would be terribly unprofessional of us, and disrespectful to Leeds United, to talk to an individual about their affairs, who is not currently employed there.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
We can only talk to our own experience.

I went to a bog standard comprehensive school in the 70's and studied Macbeth, Midsummer Night's Dream, The Merchant of Venice, Henry IV Part One, Othello and Hamlet in full and in great depth.

My son, who went to a (non fee paying) Grammar School studied Macbeth and Othello and part of Romeo and Juliet. He studied no Chaucer, and wasn't offered Latin as an option. When we were playing charades at Christmas it became clear that he didn't know Coriolanus is a play.

His school was much better than mine, but the curriculum wasn't.

The irony is that he went to Oxford to study French. There of course the teaching is superb but they have to start from scratch with literature. My French A Level involved the study of L'Etranger, Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme, Candide, Rhinoceros and Le Grand Meaulnes all in full and in depth. His French A Level had no literature to speak of at all! He had to bone up on a bit of Ionesco and Camus for the interview. They were rather surprised he had even read that, that is how low their expectations of A Level are.

His French is way way better and his knowledge of French literature is now fantastic and far surpasses mine. But O and A Level literature is a joke compared to how it used to be. And it isn't the schools, his school was very good. It is the exam boards and the system itself.

The decline is hardly likely to have been improved by this year's fiasco btw. Where you don't even have to take an exam you just get whatever grade the teacher thinks you deserve. Meaning the number of A star and A grades have increased by 38% year on year...
All you're doing is proving that you aren't just wrong about football, you're wrong about everything. Must be strange to live in your fact free world.

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
Can everyone please stop feeding the shakesperean troll? I just want to laugh at Leeds fans not scroll through a blather of angry nerd farts.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Oh FFS give it a rest. I studied Hamlet at O level & can't remember a thing about it. Start a Shakespeare thread on WACCOE if you want to chat about it, I'm sure the Leeds intelligentsia will pander to your blathering.

I think you’ll find that he is the Leeds Equivalent of HB&B and has been ostracised by his Leeds brethren. Whilst they are deluded and clueless as this thread has shown I think we can all agree that KillerWhale is a spanner of the highest order, in fact Timmy must be quaking in his boots because he has serious competition.
Only a complete prick would try and throw the Bard into the mix on a football message board. Wanker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

That is the meaning of that quotation, Hamlet was using the play within the play to dramatise old Hamlet's murder with poison in the ear whilst sleeping, to demonstrate Claudius' guilt, not make some modish argument that gender is a social construct.

The casting of R and G as women was meant to be edgy and daring but it came across as merely sad and desperate. And it doesn't honour the integrity of the text.

And there's the rub.

Honour of the text comes from the direct interaction with the audience; plays are to be consumed by an audience like food, nothing to do with pontification of the text, if so it becomes something dead or a study piece for a student at school. Your critic is that of a amateur dramatic director from the 80s, times have changed much like football.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can everyone please stop feeding the shakesperean troll? I just want to laugh at Leeds fans not scroll through a blather of angry nerd farts.

Agreed. Moderators, you rid us of one troll yesterday, so please delete this one (not CGH, ban the Orca)

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
If you are selling then the player is only worth what a club is willing to spend. See Zaha saga.

If a player is not for sale then there is no price. see Ben White.

I must say that as threads go this is giving in spades. An absolute delight.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I think you’ll find that he is the Leeds Equivalent of HB&B and has been ostracised by his Leeds brethren. Whilst they are deluded and clueless as this thread has shown I think we can all agree that KillerWhale is a spanner of the highest order, in fact Timmy must be quaking in his boots because he has serious competition.
Only a complete prick would try and throw the Bard into the mix on a football message board. Wanker.

:lolol:

It's a grey start to the day here in LS11, for the rain it raineth every day. When shall we three meet again, in thunder, lightning, or in rain?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Here’s an idea, just feck off from this thread and start a new one entitled Pseud’s Corner and post your inane ramblings on there?

Failing that can a mod PLEASE ban the troll from this thread, which he is totally derailing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here