Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Here is a review of a Bielsa biography.
A review which interestingly contains the phrase “sui generis”

That's an interesting find. My complaint wasn't about our Orcadian friend's use of a foreign phrase per se, but specifically that, in trying to capture the zeitgeist of the Bielsa juggernaut, he didn't have carte blanche to exercise obscure bon mots that us plebs would have to Google. Now it seems that there may be an element of deja vu about his choice of term being linked to Mr Bielsa. HIs explanation of his reasons for using the phrase now seem less bona fide. After having it carefully explained to me that the adoption of foreign phrases in English was de rigueur for the hoi polloi, I must admit that your find leaves me enjoying a little schadenfreude.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
That's an interesting find. My complaint wasn't about our Orcadian friend's use of a foreign phrase per se, but specifically that, in trying to capture the zeitgeist of the Bielsa juggernaut, he didn't have carte blanche to exercise obscure bon mots that us plebs would have to Google. Now it seems that there may be an element of deja vu about his choice of term being linked to Mr Bielsa. HIs explanation of his reasons for using the phrase now seem less bona fide. After having it carefully explained to me that the adoption of foreign phrases in English was de rigueur for the hoi polloi, I must admit that your find leaves me enjoying a little schadenfreude.
Didn't realise he was from the Orkneys...:D

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Fair point - who knows how things might have panned out although as we entered lockdown we had just won 5 on the bounce, so most fans were optimistic.

On the other hand, there was only one club in all 4 leagues who'd not won a single game in 2020 at that point. Remind me who that was again?

Pot-kettle!

Who was that Swansea player you tried to sign and it all fell through, iirc that Spanish **** was crying his eyes after he failed to get that deal over the line, hope he’s got the Kleenex ready!

Killer Whale

Banned
Jul 27, 2020

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

You've done it now. Our pedantic cetacean intruder is certain to pull you up on "us plebs" and "the hoi polloi"

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I see Warnock has said Rangers and Celtic would be 'top six' sides in England. With the Leeds apparently in the mix too (well, according to Leeds' fans), I'm not sure Man Utd can claim to be a top side anymore. :ohmy:

https://www.sportbible.com/football...would-finish-in-premier-league-top-6-20200805

Is that the Rangers that now has two of our spare centre backs at the heart of their defense? In the spirit of the current tone of this thread, is it becoming de rigeur to have a former/loanee Brighton c/b in a team?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
[tweet]1291684806196068352[/tweet]

All coming from the Phil Hay podcast where he doesn't actually say anything of the sort. Hay doesn't even mention a 5 year deal, he does say he understands Ben hasn't taken any offers we've made him yet, but then he fails to mention that is common in most negotiations, you don't often take the first offer on a house you are selling.

He certainly doesn't say that White wants to join Leeds, he says he might want to, well I might want to take Kate Beckinsale out for dinner tonight, but it doesn't mean its going to happen. He does say if we value Ben White at £30 million then we need to offer him a contract that reflects that, which is ****ing obvious to anyone with a clue about football, so it's no wonder these idiots don't get it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I see Warnock has said Rangers and Celtic would be 'top six' sides in England. With the Leeds apparently in the mix too (well, according to Leeds' fans), I'm not sure Man Utd can claim to be a top side anymore. :ohmy:

https://www.sportbible.com/football...would-finish-in-premier-league-top-6-20200805

i see Celtic has revenue of ~100m, Rangers ~33m. they'll get more in the Premier League, no more than say West Ham or Newcastle. i dont know why Warnook thinks they'll spend it any more wisely then those clubs.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

All coming from the Phil Hay podcast where he doesn't actually say anything of the sort. Hay doesn't even mention a 5 year deal, he does say he understands Ben hasn't taken any offers we've made him yet, but then he fails to mention that is common in most negotiations, you don't often take the first offer on a house you are selling.

He certainly doesn't say that White wants to join Leeds, he says he might want to, well I might want to take Kate Beckinsale out for dinner tonight, but it doesn't mean its going to happen. He does say if we value Ben White at £30 million then we need to offer him a contract that reflects that, which is ****ing obvious to anyone with a clue about football, so it's no wonder these idiots don't get it.

i can see Leeds offering a paltry fee, on assumption he wants to go there etc. then Liverpool swooping in with a larger offer we accept and they'll persuade him to join (not difficult "heres a money truck, title contenders and europan football")

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
Fair point - who knows how things might have panned out although as we entered lockdown we had just won 5 on the bounce, so most fans were optimistic.

On the other hand, there was only one club in all 4 leagues who'd not won a single game in 2020 at that point. Remind me who that was again?

Pot-kettle!

But Brighton fans aren’t going on about how great they are! When we came up we were very aware that the premier league is far harder than the championship.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Oh well.

He is under contract for 2 more years + 1 option year, so he can keep on his current wages if he prefers :shrug:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
i see Celtic has revenue of ~100m, Rangers ~33m. they'll get more in the Premier League, no more than say West Ham or Newcastle. i dont know why Warnook thinks they'll spend it any more wisely then those clubs.

The thing about this stupid Celtic/Rangers piece, is that their fans think that they could join the league and with "all the monies", would be able to compete easily. Forgetting that you don't get given a billion when you join to build your team, you get nothing. So if they get a loan on the minimum pay out, they seem to think the additional £100m revenue would be enough. They also ignore that they'll very quickly have a far, far larger wage bill if they expect to attract and keep players.

Even more amusing, is the argument that Rangers would do well because they are the second most successful club in world, when counting trophies. YEAH, in the MTL. I've beaten my 5 year old son at Chess over five hundred times this year - in fact, I've never lost! That is more wins than even chess grandmasters can boast, but funnily enough I don't bang on about being the best chess player in 2020.
Incidentaly, the top club in the world on this measrue is Al Ahly, of Egypt. We'd better hope they don't join the Prem, or we're definitely all in the shit.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Oh well.

He is under contract for 2 more years + 1 option year, so he can keep on his current wages if he prefers :shrug:

I've heard this in the qualities, how does it work ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We can extend the contract unilaterally by an extra year if we want ( but don't have to ).

So effectively it's a three year contract if Albion want it to be.

Can't see him leaving then. Unless a big contract fee is involved.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Respect Colin, but I'm not so sure.

Of course the Glasgow clubs have the fanbase and stadium size, but so do Massive, and so does "survive by skin of teeth" Villa.
Cant see Villa being top 6 within another 6 months (even after 120+ million spent)

Both clubs would be better off being in the English league for sure, but both top 6 within 18 months is a stretch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here