Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It's weird how many pundits seem to want to create the story that they are something special, a bit like they do with the Palace "ultras". Heard one the other day say that the league is going to be poorer next season without Leeds. What's the evidence for that? Do they just mean there might be far fewer goals scored because whoever replaces Leeds might concede less? Dull side, too many grim fans with sickening attitudes, and a sense of entitlement that makes Spurs look humble.
Quite.

One of the 5Live pundits on the final weekend of the season remarked how they'd become everyone's second team. Really?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I did four years of Latin (to O level) at Lewes County Grammar School For Boys in the late sixties. Our Latin teacher went to the King’s Head every lunchtime so we dreaded Latin in the afternoon. He’d grab my wrist and twist it behind my back while asking me to conjugate a verb. The more I got it wrong the harder he twisted, until he could twist no more, when he’d punch the muscle in my upper arm causing excruciating pain. Character forming.
Completely O/T ....

My Dad got a scholarship to Whitgift School in the 1930s. After his first Latin class he was set homework (20 questions) which he completed, handed in, it was marked and handed back. At the next lesson the Latin Master said: "Stand up all the boys who got 20 out of 20." A few boys stood up. "Well done" said the Master, "Sit down. Now stand up the boys who got 19 out of 20." A few more stood up. "Come here" instructed the Master, and then drew a huge cane from his desk. Thwack! Each of the '19 out of 20' boys got a single stroke of the cane. "Go and sit down. Now stand up the boys who got 18 out of 20 and come up here." Thwack! Thwack! They each got two strokes of the cane. This continued with the 17's getting three strokes, the 16's 4 and so on. That first time my Dad had got 12 out of 20! After getting 8 strokes that first time he never got less that 18 in future.

Different times of course, but his hard-won knowledge did mean he he could speak and read Latin for the rest of his life.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Completely O/T ....

My Dad got a scholarship to Whitgift School in the 1930s. After his first Latin class he was set homework (20 questions) which he completed, handed in, it was marked and handed back. At the next lesson the Latin Master said: "Stand up all the boys who got 20 out of 20." A few boys stood up. "Well done" said the Master, "Sit down. Now stand up the boys who got 19 out of 20." A few more stood up. "Come here" instructed the Master, and then drew a huge cane from his desk. Thwack! Each of the '19 out of 20' boys got a single stroke of the cane. "Go and sit down. Now stand up the boys who got 18 out of 20 and come up here." Thwack! Thwack! They each got two strokes of the cane. This continued with the 17's getting three strokes, the 16's 4 and so on. That first time my Dad had got 12 out of 20! After getting 8 strokes that first time he never got less that 18 in future.

Different times of course, but his hard-won knowledge did mean he he could speak and read Latin for the rest of his life.
And probably a tonne of unresolved issues if you don't mind me saying!!

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Quite.

One of the 5Live pundits on the final weekend of the season remarked how they'd become everyone's second team. Really?
This was trundled out almost every match when Bielsa was manager- a bit like the city v utd cup fnal that EVERYONE wanted. Leeds were never everyones second team, and the only people who wanted an all Manchester final was the TV companies and Manchester fans-and probably utd fans didnt as they knew they would probably l lose

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And probably a tonne of unresolved issues if you don't mind me saying!!
Not true, in most cases you just accepted it as “it is what it is”. The same rules were applied to all. Yes of course some were f***ed up by it, but not many in my experience.

Or are you suggesting that I have some unresolved issues that I am unaware of ???

I don’t remember ever thinking “this is not fair, I need to do something about it” with the fairly harsh regime at my school.

Different times

I remember a new parents meeting at my son’s school in Hove in the early 80s when a parent asked what the situation was if he did not agree to his son being caned. The headmaster said “you would need to put him in a different school”.

Last edited:

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
Am I the only one here who doesn't speak Latin?
Seeing as it seems you need to learn Latin, a great book is Familia Romana by Hans H. Orberg.
1685969886273.png

It's written 100% in Latin, without a single word in English, but somehow step by step, occasionally with the help of pictures, it takes you from simple sentences such as "Roma est in Italia", to things like "Nemo solus eum vincere potest."
It's weird when you first pick it up and flick through the pages. You look at chapter one and think "Hmm, I can understand this," then look ahead a few chapters and can't understand a thing, but after a couple of weeks it all starts to make sense, without the need for any dictionaries or translating.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Had a similar Latin teacher, he was nicknamed Bod and was a big bugger. If you fecked up a translation of Ovid badly he was not averse to hanging you out of a first floor window and holding you under the armpits as he suggested you do better next time.

Others just threw wooden blackboard dusters at you.

Never crossed our minds to complain about it either, you’d just get a caning for your troubles as they closed ranks. :smile:
My Mum used to tell me that if you got a whack at school and went home and told your parents you'd then get another one on behalf of the previous whack.

Seriously f***ed up times they were. I'm sure some teachers took dark delight in it all.

I was never hit, save by one teacher who seemed to take their middle age neurotic madness out on me in the form of face slapping. One judicial basis for this was my inability to do joined up writing. I still can't, and won't, do it now.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
I did four years of Latin (to O level) at Lewes County Grammar School For Boys in the late sixties. Our Latin teacher went to the King’s Head every lunchtime so we dreaded Latin in the afternoon. He’d grab my wrist and twist it behind my back while asking me to conjugate a verb. The more I got it wrong the harder he twisted, until he could twist no more, when he’d punch the muscle in my upper arm causing excruciating pain. Character forming.
Killer Jones??

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Quite.

That's Little Old Brighton now, according to many pundits...

Not sure what I think about that, TBH.

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Following on from the Latin discussion I also had Charlie Law as my first form teacher at Varndean, as well as Latin, which I suffered dreadfully the following 5 years - though did (deservedly) get a 9 at O'level, but other slightly better grades did squeeze me into the 6th form.....

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I managed to end up with a copy of De Bello Gallico, also stamped with Property of Varndean Grammar School for Boys - that went to the charity shop.

All those years with Winker Watson paid off, I can still read a fair bit of Latin
I'm sure Winker had an A in it when I was at Varndean...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here