Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Deluded Leeds (an EFL club) fans

theboybilly

Sour grapes.
But Leeds always had that in them. Even in the famous European Cup Final where the slaughtered Bayern Munich (apparently) they managed to do we ough damage to 2 Munich players to bring both careers to a sudden end. They were just a bunch of thugs who, in reality, we're only successful for 5 or 6 years. They couldn't break the Liverpool/United title monopoly until United waned

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But Leeds always had that in them. Even in the famous European Cup Final where the slaughtered Bayern Munich (apparently) they managed to do we ough damage to 2 Munich players to bring both careers to a sudden end. They were just a bunch of thugs who, in reality, we're only successful for 5 or 6 years. They couldn't break the Liverpool/United title monopoly until United waned
Leeds were effective from roughly 65 to 75. There was no single behemoth then, albeit 'everyone loved Man United'. The Liverpool monopoly started in 76 (ish) when Leeds were already well past their best. The ManU manopoly didn't start till around 93. They went 25 odd years without a league title.

Leeds were flawed though because the manager was a venal cheat and a mad god-botherer. All teams were full of thugs back then. Ironically most of the criticism Leeds got was for playing possession football - 20 years ahead of its time.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It's not all bad when we think of Burnley though is it?

(I particularly enjoy the Burnley fan singing "Albion, Albion" at 2:26)

Must watch that again. Not seen it since Sunday. That's a long time for me.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Leeds were effective from roughly 65 to 75. There was no single behemoth then, albeit 'everyone loved Man United'. The Liverpool monopoly started in 76 (ish) when Leeds were already well past their best. The ManU manopoly didn't start till around 93. They went 25 odd years without a league title.

Leeds were flawed though because the manager was a venal cheat and a mad god-botherer. All teams were full of thugs back then. Ironically most of the criticism Leeds got was for playing possession football - 20 years ahead of its time.
If i was asked to make a like for like comparison for Leeds United I would say Wolverhampton Wanderers. Their period of sustained success being immediately prior to Leeds. Leeds have had skirmishes with success in recent times, but those recent times are still over 20 years ago.

Wolverhampton seem to see themselves with more sober judgement though. There is something about the Revie years that makes most older folk delight in Leeds failings- and it's not envy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If i was asked to make a like for like comparison for Leeds United I would say Wolverhampton Wanderers. Their period of sustained success being immediately prior to Leeds. Leeds have had skirmishes with success in recent times, but those recent times are still over 20 years ago.

Wolverhampton seem to see themselves with more sober judgement though. There is something about the Revie years that makes most older folk delight in Leeds failings- and it's not envy.
Wolves never matched them. Leeds were second more often than they were first, but they were a real force for 10 years, finishing top or second in Div 1 on 7 occasions, in 4 FA cup finals and one league cup final, plus five European finals. Seven trophies:

1685740474350.png

1685740530820.png

1685740698336.png

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Wolves never matched them. Leeds were second more often than they were first, but they were a real force for 10 years, finishing top or second in Div 1 on 7 occasions, in 4 FA cup finals and one league cup final, plus five European finals. Seven trophies:

View attachment 161732
View attachment 161733
View attachment 161734
This is true. But if you wipe out those ten years, what are you left with ? At the end of next season it will be one major trophy in fifty years.

At this rate we'll have Huddersfield Town supporters claiming they have a divine right to first division football because they ruled the 1920s.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is true. But if you wipe out those ten years, what are you left with ? At the end of next season it will be one major trophy in fifty years.

At this rate we'll have Huddersfield Town supporters claiming they have a divine right to first division football because they ruled the 1920s.

If you exclude his ten years a prime minister, what did Tony Blair ever do to change British society?

And what did the Romans ever do for us?

I was simply pointing out that over their history, Leeds are not on a par with Wolves. Any more that Brighton are on a par with Nottingham Forest.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

Can't be bothered to check, but is one major trophy in the last 50 years the same as top 6 behemoths Tottenham?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'm in Leeds today, and a bus just went past me called Marcelo Bielsa.
Now my first thought was "aww, bless".
But seriously, do B&H buses have a bus called Chris Hughton, and if not, why don't B&H Buses have a bus called Chris Hughton?
Bielsa was bloody good value for money, I can see why he was such a hero at Leeds.

A manager who threatens fans at his door abusing him with a live hand grenade is OK with me :wink:

Living above a Fish and Chip shop and wandering around with a plastic carrier bag is a bonus

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'm in Leeds today, and a bus just went past me called Marcelo Bielsa.
Now my first thought was "aww, bless".
But seriously, do B&H buses have a bus called Chris Hughton, and if not, why don't B&H Buses have a bus called Chris Hughton?
Just looked and brighton buses are named after deceased people connected to the area

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here