Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Delle Alli: Where next?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find this shocking and fair play to him, he must have felt he had to or wanted to get this out in the open.
However, the reaction of fans to what really did look like he was playing like he couldn’t care less was totally understandable IMO.
No one in their right mind would by default think “player x is having a mare, he might have mental health issues” and nor should they, because the vast majority do not, those that do need and deserve help.
I'd imagine some reactions probably were understandable, but would suggest most reactions weren't.
Most being offensive, vindictive, hurtful and just plain nasty, a million miles away from 'he's playing shite'.

What does inspire confidence is the thought that if Dele wants too, and does actually make his way back. The horrors he's faced (and faced down) won't be used as a target against him - all in the name of 'bantz'.

Not something I feel I could have written x years ago.

Oh and just in case posters think Sanctimonious Stat has saddled up, in defending George Osborne's right to have a peaceful wedding I did call him a """" about a dozen times - not exactly practising what I preach.

Last edited:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
It just shows we have no idea on what happens in anyone’s background and this probably explains how Dele went from being potentially the worlds best no.10 to a championship player. I hope he gets all the help possible and gets back to being a great player

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I was thinking about him yesterday when I saw him mentioned/featured in something. I honestly no idea where (or even if) he is playing football these days. Or who he's contracted to.

What I would say about all of these types of players who might be viewed as 'damaged goods' is that it's probably par for the course with young players getting too much too early. Statistically, there will be players who go 'off the rails' (we've seen it with Connelly to a point, I guess), just like members of the general public of around the same age. Part of might be their fault, but part of it might not be. Who are we to judge them if they have a dip in form, or a run-in with the law – we don't know what they might be going through (again, look at Gilmour and the stalking case).

Anyway, what's I'm really saying is – to a point – be kind.
As I was saying...

Poor guy. I watched the interview last night and thought he came out of it fantastically. Here's hoping he keeps his MH in check and also gets to the playing standard he's aiming for.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Very powerful interview. Really good that he's stood up to face his demons and looks like he's conquered them. MH is such a stigma still and him coming out to speak about his issues is brilliant for both himself and others. Well done for getting yourself together to get help young man.

Neville is excellent as an interviewer.
I wouldn't go so far as 'excellent' – did he really need to say about 10 times that he'd worked with Dele as a coach with England? – but he's certainly come a long way since his first days of punditry. I love his PL 'icons' (or whatever they're called) programs on Sky Sports – he's clearly well-liked and respected in the game.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Exactly, because then you'll be a mile away. And you'll have their shoes!
Not if you walk half a mile in one direction and then do a 180° turn. Then you could give the person back their shoes :thumbsup:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
The stuff in his interview reminded me a lot of Paul Stewart's story as told in 'Football's Darkest Secret'. However far the man goes, it seems that he can never escape from the hurt of the mistreated child. It's hard not to think about the footballer, as he was such a talent, but whether or not he gets back close to his peak is really very secondary if the help he is getting can get him to a place where his life is not being ruled by the early damage done. Fingers crossed for him and for all who have that battle to fight. There are far too many of them.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here