Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defund the BBC.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
The BBC is the biggest bargain you will ever pay for; it's not just the top quality TV stations with no brain numbing advertising, but great radio choice, and great internet services like BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds. If the BBC loses its public funding it will be the biggest step yet in the dumbing down of Britain.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Perspective in this kind of debate is everything, those seeking to reduce the power of the establishment will always be left wing.

It’s the “conservatives” that want to keep it as is..........the Tory shithouses that they are!!

That's just not true; I am far from being a Tory and I think the BBC is one of the few institutions this country can still be proud of

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
It won’t go, it will change.

You will continue to happily pay for it and and derive all the benefits you outline above.

I and millions of others won’t and we will all happily go on with our lives.

Difficult to see any problem with that at all is there?

Sounds to me like you just don't want to pay for it. Fair enough. I assume you don't listen to any BBC radio or podcasts either.

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patron
Jan 30, 2008
Defund it and the NHS to because whenever im ill i go to boots for some aspirin so dont need that

Regards

DF

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Perspective in this kind of debate is everything, those seeking to reduce the power of the establishment will always be left wing.

It’s the “conservatives” that want to keep it as is..........the Tory shithouses that they are!!

perspective is one thing, information can be more helpful. those seeking to defund are objecting the tax payer funding it, are right wing free-marketeers.

I don’t watch the news anymore on either TV. I find the MSM to be extremely biased. I use the BBC website for sport but nothing more.

I want my news to be factual and unbiased. News reporters should not be offering opinions. What the BBC fails to understand is that the majority in the country are not woke, liberal, metropolitan people. There are a vast range of opinions and views, and jsut pandering to the left is alienating many.

For example, after the Brexit vote, any piece of economic data was qualified with “because of Brexit/despite Brexit” (depending if it was positive or negative). That is combing fact with opinion.

I’ve cancelled my TV license - not to save money as I wouldn’t notice it. Purely out of principle at the bias (IMO) of the BBC. Let’s see how woke the BBC would be if it had to be self funding.

Everything has to be sensationalised now. Even sporting fixtures are over-hyped. Weather events are over dramatised as though it’s the end of the frigging world. If there’s a little bit of flooding, the reporters will fins a street, see if they can find the deepest points and stand in that. But when you pan out it’s just a localised bit of flooding (for example).

Where's your proof of bias reporting?!!?!? I'd say different reporters at the BBC are based right and left and there is a good mix. It's more than just news the BBC, it provides so much to us and the world. It'd be a travesty if it went down the pan...which it won't.

It's just sad right wing narrow minded twats who want it removed because they are so precious about the BBC covering all sorts of different topics, which makes them liberal, informative and provides education for millions. Which for some reason, they don't like.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The BBC is the biggest bargain you will ever pay for; it's not just the top quality TV stations with no brain numbing advertising, but great radio choice, and great internet services like BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds. If the BBC loses its public funding it will be the biggest step yet in the dumbing down of Britain.

100 % this.

NHS
BBC
Pubs

Best British institutions that are all under threat. Very sad and very worrying indeed.
The BBC isn’t left leaning, it’s PC. Which upsets right wingers but does not make it left leaning. Farage was all over the beeb before Covid hit.

And a huge amount of people’s favourite shows wouldn’t exist without license funding.
And if like me, you listen to their radio output, you’ll know how unbeatable the BBC really are.

It’s no surprise Johnson hates them.

Last edited:

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
Anyone who wants to defund the BBC is a fascist. I’ve lived in America and have seen the damage the lack of an impartial press makes. Yes it is modern liberal but if you don’t like it, you’re probably very right wing and not very clever.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Anyone who has ever had to listen to Talksport for their commentary on the football rather than 5 Live will see the value of the licence fee.

Anyone who has ever listened to Talksport's live cricket commentary and compared it to TMS would want anyone who wants rid of the BBC strung up from the nearest lamppost.

Only people wanting a new van or cheap plasterboard then ?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
People often claim the BBC have a "left wing bias". Has anyone ever actually provided any evidence of this beyond a few Tories getting worked up because someone dared to criticise a Tory on there?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
People often claim the BBC have a "left wing bias". Has anyone ever actually provided any evidence of this beyond a few Tories getting worked up because someone dared to criticise a Tory on there?

That's just a perception perpetuated by Tony donor owned right media who want to destroy anything publicly owned. As the BBC is a state broadcaster it has a responsibility to be balanced and be sensitive towards a broad spectrum of viewers.

I bet they'd love to get rid of the BBC and then it'll be all commercial news, then they can have Murdoch TV pumping out propaganda, telling people how their lives are under threat from Marxists

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Keep things as they are. It may be imperfect, but the BBC is brilliant in so many ways.

They’re acting to reduce the vast sums paid to swathes of middle management, it’s going to be leaner, without compromising integrity.

As a non-leftie, I don’t think it’s biased towards left wing politics whatsoever.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The political wing of the elite (aka the Tory party) would love to further isolate the U.K. by decommissioning the BBC. The less scrutiny aimed at them, the easier it is for them to carry on turning our country into a haven for their corporate chums.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Something for everyone with the BBC. For example, an invaluable service for our troops overseas , bringing comfort and reliable information since the 1920’s.
And from a personal view, invaluable and comforting for my stepfather in his last days and for my Father with his beloved Shipping Forecast.
Anyone who thinks it’s a force for bad is frankly, an imbecile.
For me it's Round Britain Quiz, news, Brain of Britain, Miles Jupp, Loose Ends,Bunk Bed, Front Row, Cricket coverage, R6, The Archers....the list is endless
Unless of course one black woman in an almost hundred year history once says something you don’t like. Then it’s probably best to shut the whole thing down. Any sane person would agree.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
It is a news source, more so than British tabloids, esp. Daily Mail, which more people go to for their news.

Obviously it is favourable to Russian affairs and will ignore things that make it look bad, but that does not mean what it reports isn't true, especially on neutral issues.

The BBC is the best and most neutral source of news that I know of. But of course it has a very politically correct bias, which will annoy some, while others will consider this the correct thing to do.

Saying Russia today is favourable to Russian affairs is almost dangerously inaccurate.

In fact, it almost never mentions Russian affairs. Remember when those Russian athletes were banned for life for doping? Didn't make RT 'news'. They ran with a story about America's implosion and how standards in the West are declining. They even had experts you've never heard of from made up organizations come on and agree with them. The whole thing is a ludicrous farce. Russia Today shouldn't be spoken about in the same sentence as the BBC.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Perhaps make the BBC a subscription like Netflix and Amazon, then if people choose to listen to the racist bile it spews they can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Perhaps make the BBC a subscription like Netflix and Amazon, then if people choose to listen to the racist bile it spews they can.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You really are like an hysterical old goat. Everything alarms and scares you.

Black woman .... woooahhhaahhh
Trans woman ....Agggghhhhhhhh
Refugee makes it to the U.K. .... POLICE!! POLICE!!!!

****ing grow a pair, you hysterical brat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here