Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Defund the BBC.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
One of the characteristics of the right is British exceptionalism - a recent example being BoJo’s comedy assertion a few months back that we would have a ‘world-beating’ Covid testing system. And pretty much everything about Brexit.

It’s ironic that some of them are trying to remove one of the few things where we are genuinely world-beating. The BBC is the envy of the world.

Spot on. Ditto with the NHS, although they've gone somewhat quiet about that of late.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
I will make one short reply to this and I don’t want this to become a global warming thread.

Yes, the planet has warmed slightly.
Yes, CO2 has increased.
Yes, CO2 is a minor greenhouse gas.
CO2 has increased from (approx) 3 parts in 10,000 to 4 parts in 10,000 in the atmosphere.
The 97% of scientists figure is garbage - there’s no such survey been carried out. - You’re right, it’s 99% :thumbsup:

Water vapour is much more potent greenhouse gas.
The models continually overstate the warming effect based on CO2, based on the output/observations for the last 30 years.

Should we protect the planet? Yes.
Should we stop pollution? Yes.
Should we stop plastic waste? Yes.

Do I believe that a 1 part in 10,000 increase in CO2 in the atmosphere is going to destroy the planet? No.
CO2 has been as high as 7,000 ppm (compared to the current 405 ppm) and the planet did OK.
We are currently still in an ice-age. (An ice age is defined as when the planet has ice at both poles and mountain glaciers).

Climate changes all the time.

And, I won’t reply on this anymore as this is a BBC licence fee thread.

I don’t expect a reply but I still think it’s ironic that you have the gall to call people imbeciles if they watch talent shows yet deny the the scientific consensus on climate change. Still, I guess it takes all sorts... :facepalm:

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
The BBC is one of the best institutions that we have. Back in the 90s and 00s holding Labour to account when the Conservatives had all but collapsed. Currently holding the Conservatives to account with their Brexit mess. Only in recent memory for me anyway, has the past Labour and current Conservatives government brought up the funding of the BBC basically trying to intimate the organisation. I expect this continue as we drive into the wall of the largest act of self half for the past 50 years.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Nothing more than a legal racket forcing folk to buy something many don’t particularly want, and then use threatening tactics if you don’t pay. It’s an outdated system the BBC probably don’t have confidence in a subscription service as it’s basically shite.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
No, it’s really not complicated, unless you are ‘trying’ to smart and twist my words.

I expect a state-funded broadcaster to be unbiased. Deal with facts, call-out the government/opposition. Challenge the vested interests. However, I don’t expect the new reader to be expressing their own opinions, or quantifying facts with things like “Because of Brexit/Despite Brexit”.

Then, my next point is that for non state-controlled media (i.e. privately controlled), these will be biased towards the owners stated objectives.

It’s really not complicated. Maybe you should try to look at the point someone is making rather than fitting something to your own prejudices.

I'm not 'trying' to twist your words, or even trying to. You can't recognise a contradiction, and you also are easy pickings for the conspiracy theorists. You didn't do very well at school did you, and you've probably forgotten that too.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
The BBC is one of the best institutions that we have. Back in the 90s and 00s holding Labour to account when the Conservatives had all but collapsed. Currently holding the Conservatives to account with their Brexit mess. Only in recent memory for me anyway, has the past Labour and current Conservatives government brought up the funding of the BBC basically trying to intimate the organisation. I expect this continue as we drive into the wall of the largest act of self half for the past 50 years.

The "left wing" Beeb absolutely rinsed Blair, despite getting angry, bullying phone calls from Alistair Campbell on a constant basis.

I'm still to see a specific example of BBC bias posted on this thread by anyone. Just insinuation.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Personally I think the BBC should explain why they are wasting my money on programmes such as Mrs Brown's Boys, Miranada.....

Because an incredible amount of people like and watch them, and the BBC has a remit to put out programming which appeals to as many people as possible, not just you.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Anyone who has ever had to listen to Talksport for their commentary on the football rather than 5 Live will see the value of the licence fee.

Anyone who has ever listened to Talksport's live cricket commentary and compared it to TMS would want anyone who wants rid of the BBC strung up from the nearest lamppost.

larus

I don’t expect a reply but I still think it’s ironic that you have the gall to call people imbeciles if they watch talent shows yet deny the the scientific consensus on climate change. Still, I guess it takes all sorts... :facepalm:

Please point me to any survey which has been carried out to ascertain if scientist believe that we are facing a climate catastrophe from CO2. You are stating 99% of scientist agree, so there must have been a survey.

Fact - one of the 5 global temperature datasets (UAH) which is a satellite dataset, is produced by Dr Roy Spencer. He agrees that the climate has warmed, but does not agree with the scaremongering of the lefties/environmentalists. There are many other scientists who say that the climate has warmed (not denying that), but that the simple answer is CO2 is false,

Another fact - colder water has the ability to absorb more CO2 than warmer water. So, as the planet is warming up as it comes/came out of the little ice age (I’m sure you’ve heard of it), the impact will be that the oceans will warm too. Warmer oceans could therefore be emitting CO2.

What about PMO?
What about AMO?
What about ENSO?
These will all have an impact on the climate. Christ, it’s so frigging complicated, yet so many are deluded to think that we can write software programs to model the intricacies of the swirling bodies (water and air) and all of the various ways they interact and predict the future. Yeah, right.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Please point me to any survey which has been carried out to ascertain if scientist believe that we are facing a climate catastrophe from CO2. You are stating 99% of scientist agree, so there must have been a survey.

Fact - one of the 5 global temperature datasets (UAH) which is a satellite dataset, is produced by Dr Roy Spencer. He agrees that the climate has warmed, but does not agree with the scaremongering of the lefties/environmentalists. There are many other scientists who say that the climate has warmed (not denying that), but that the simple answer is CO2 is false,

Another fact - colder water has the ability to absorb more CO2 than warmer water. So, as the planet is warming up as it comes/came out of the little ice age (I’m sure you’ve heard of it), the impact will be that the oceans will warm too. Warmer oceans could therefore be emitting CO2.

What about PMO?
What about AMO?
What about ENSO?
These will all have an impact on the climate. Christ, it’s so frigging complicated, yet so many are deluded to think that we can write software programs to model the intricacies of the swirling bodies (water and air) and all of the various ways they interact and predict the future. Yeah, right.

You realise that CO2 isn’t the only issue re climate change right? ??? I really have no interest in debating this with someone who denies climate change. I’d get more reasoned debate with my brick wall.

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
I don’t generally comment on any non football topic here, unless it is about something I have specific knowledge, eg pub licensing or electric and gas supply, so here goes.

It looks to me like this thread has drifted from “Defund the BBC” to “Defund BBC News”

So do the BBC generally make watchable programs?
My view is yes, I watch as many series as on other channels. But should I be forced to buy a TV license if I choose not to watch, no. If every other company can do it without my specific funding so can they.

Regarding the news........
In years gone by the NEWS was reported. Just the news. Watching a “Special Report” about various news readers grand parents and “What they did in the war” is NOT news. Asking the reporter “So what do you THINK the government will do now?” Is NOT new, it’s an opinion. Also the previously mention, What BLM means to me as a 2nd generation immigrant, also is NOT news.

Maybe if BBC news just reported the news we would not be having this discussion.

For clarity, I didn’t vote in the brexit or general elections so I know I have no right now to criticise either the result or criticise any government decision. The majority results were made, live with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

larus

I'm not 'trying' to twist your words, or even trying to. You can't recognise a contradiction, and you also are easy pickings for the conspiracy theorists. You didn't do very well at school did you, and you've probably forgotten that too.

Actually, I did very well at school. Never had the opportunity to go to uni, but have been running my own company for 25 years and been making a six figure income for years. Started another company a few years ago too.

As for conspiracy theories - nope, I don’t believe them. But only a tw@t could link my objections to the BBC bias to conspiracy theories. Typical left-wing modus operandi - attack the man with snide comments. (Gammon, racist, conspiracy theory nutter, etc.).

larus

You realise that CO2 isn’t the only issue re climate change right? ??? I really have no interest in debating this with someone who denies climate change. I’d get more reasoned debate with my brick wall.

OMG, you really don’t know what you’re talking about do you? :lolol: :lolol:

Why do you think every solution to the (supposed) global warming is CO2 reduction? Doh!

Actually, my money is on the wall winning the debate with you.

And again, I have not denied the fact that the climate has changed (warmed). I am questioning the jump to the assumption that a change of 1 part in 10,000 of CO2 is the culprit. Again, you choose to ignore that fact.

Last edited:

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Nothing more than a legal racket forcing folk to buy something many don’t particularly want, and then use threatening tactics if you don’t pay. It’s an outdated system the BBC probably don’t have confidence in a subscription service as it’s basically shite.

Nobody forces you to buy it if you don't want it.

I don't use it so I don't pay my licence fee. It's actually pretty simple.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I’m sure most on here will now think that he is some ‘foaming at the mouth’, far-right racist gammon as he goes against their liberal, woke ‘group-think’.

No doubt, in truth though the bias issue though is merely a underlying symptom affecting the BBC and like all polarising issues either side can use some justification to support their claims.

When it comes down to it though, if the BBC is a service broadly for entertainment then there is no justification for imposing its cost on people that want to opt out. It’s not the NHS or a vital organ of the state.

Quite simply the enthusiastic BBC fans can pay for it, those who aren’t don’t. The underlying sentiments of those who want to force the whole adult population to pay for a service they don’t want are genuinely fascinating, both philosophically and clinically.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
The "left wing" Beeb absolutely rinsed Blair, despite getting angry, bullying phone calls from Alistair Campbell on a constant basis.

I'm still to see a specific example of BBC bias posted on this thread by anyone. Just insinuation.

When there's a left-wing government in power then the BBC are accused of having a right-wing bias.
When there's a right-wing government in power then the BBC are accused of having a left-wing bias.

I reckon that's probably the biggest compliment an unbiased media organisation could be given really. If the cretins on both sides think you're biased then you're probably doing a good job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here