Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Define a Woman

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A woman is an adult female.

The debate is over folk who identify as adult females but physically are not I'm guessing ?

Think that clouds the issue further. When do girls become women? Frowned upon calling our ladies team, the girls team, yet many women have a girls night out or in. When is men go out ladies/girls would often been heard saying the boys are out on the town.

I've given up trying to use the latest "correct" phase to determine who is what. I always thought guys meant men/boys but it often now used to be a group of mixed sexes, so I give up

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Its only gender silliness to those not adversely affected by the definition. Words and meanings change as the world around them changes, the simple fact is there are now women and men who do not fit the scientific term that the terms are traditionally connected with. All this angst has been caused by a very vocal yet tiny and very bigoted percentage of the population. Essentially the trans community have replaced the homosexual community as societies pariahs and have been forced to hark up. Admittedly there are fwits on both sides.

The most vocal in the trans community have replaced the evangelical Christians of the past. Labelling anyone who doesn't agree with their views transphobic is like labelling someone a heathen or sinner because they don't believe in a certain God.

People trying to force others into believing something they think exists is real isn't going to win people over.

You can't ask people to pretend someone is a man/woman if all they see is what the person is biologically.

Are they asking people to just pretend they are a woman even if it's quite obvious they are a man?

It's complete gender silliness when you have people's livelihoods in jeopardy because some twit gives a toss about pronouns.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
As a Brexiteer and therefore considered a far right fascist by many on here, I am firmly in the live and let live camp. A woman to me is someone born female but if someone wants to be referred to as female and wishes to either dress as a woman or undergo a sex change then I would respect their choice and admire their bravery for being who they want to be. Really can't understand why it's even an issue. However if someone is born and bred in Brighton and Hove and considers themselves a Manchester United/ Liverpool fan etc, they can f#ck off.......

It's an issue because it's starting to creep into areas where having grown up a man they have physical advantages over women when it comes to competing in sport.

If you're a 13 year old girl and you get beaten by a 29 year old biological male in a female skating comp wouldn't you feel pissed off? (this happened).

The sooner sporting bodies around the world start creating a separate category for trans athletes the sooner it will all die down.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
b94881c26e17bda3e776ffa2944ccc3e.png

Me and my wife now do the same but the online equivalent. I order one thing - whether I like it or not I keep it. She orders 10 things and sends 9 back.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
It's an issue because it's starting to creep into areas where having grown up a man they have physical advantages over women when it comes to competing in sport.

If you're a 13 year old girl and you get beaten by a 29 year old biological male in a female skating comp wouldn't you feel pissed off? (this happened).

The sooner sporting bodies around the world start creating a separate category for trans athletes the sooner it will all die down.

You're right, that is wrong and the rule should simply be changed. It's a shame that there's a really pissed off thirteen year old in the World but these non fatal incidents are so extremely rare that in today's World, It's not something I'll lose sleep over. I don't think there are thousands of transgender women about to make a mockery of women's sport.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
A complex issue full of subtleties and difficulties but if you approach it with thoughtful sensitivity and kindness you won't go too far wrong. Unlike some of our repugnant posters who have swarmed to this thread like tragic, nasty moths to a flame.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You're right, that is wrong and the rule should simply be changed. It's a shame that there's a really pissed off thirteen year old in the World but these non fatal incidents are so extremely rare that in today's World, It's not something I'll lose sleep over. I don't think there are thousands of transgender women about to make a mockery of women's sport.

I think it is crucial for women's sport that trans women are excluded from competition with non-trans women. One of the key components of elite sport is to strive to be the best in the world and to break records, but if trans woman start holding those world records because of a biological advantage then I can see women being turned off sport, particularly in individual sports that require a huge training and travelling commitment.

I think the growth in coverage of women's sport is a force for good in the world. It is noticeable that in many countries where despots rule the standing of women is much diminished and sport plays almost zero part in the culture.

I don't know what the answer is and I support the rights of trans people, but it is wrong to assume there is a level playing field with non-trans women.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think it is crucial for women's sport that trans women are excluded from competition with non-trans women. One of the key components of elite sport is to strive to be the best in the world and to break records, but if trans woman start holding those world records because of a biological advantage then I can see women being turned off sport, particularly in individual sports that require a huge training and travelling commitment.

I think the growth in coverage of women's sport is a force for good in the world. It is noticeable that in many countries where despots rule the standing of women is much diminished and sport plays almost zero part in the culture.

I don't know what the answer is and I support the rights of trans people, but it is wrong to assume there is a level playing field with non-trans women.

This is 100 percent correct, however this view would be deemed as transphobic by some.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013

I agree. That's why I said it's wrong and the rule should be changed. Not sure what the percentage of transgender women that would use this to benefit in this way is but I imagine it's minimal and I imagine the number that would even be able to compete in top level women's sport must be minute. So still not a major issue,all things considered, in my opinion.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree. That's why I said it's wrong and the rule should be changed. Not sure what the percentage of transgender women that would use this to benefit in this way is but I imagine it's minimal and I imagine the number that would even be able to compete in top level women's sport must be minute. So still not a major issue,all things considered, in my opinion.

It's not about how many are competing, or might compete in the future, it's the very principle of level playing field and fair competition.

If just one single trans woman came along in athletics, smashed the heptathlon world record and all of the single events within it - 100m hurdles, 200m, 800m, high jump, long jump, shot put and javelin - then women's athletics, and women's sport would never be the same again. I see that as a conceivable possibility.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
It's not about how many are competing, or might compete in the future, it's the very principle of level playing field and fair competition.

If just one single trans woman came along in athletics, smashed the heptathlon world record and all of the single events within it - 100m hurdles, 200m, 800m, high jump, long jump, shot put and javelin - then women's athletics, and women's sport would never be the same again. I see that as a conceivable possibility.

Not sure why you keep quoting my posts, both in which I agree with you that the rule needs changing. Its a bloody outrage! :rant: I'm furious. :lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Not sure why you keep quoting my posts, both in which I agree with you that the rule needs changing. Its a bloody outrage! :rant: I'm furious. :lolol:

You've said you won't lose any sleep over it, the number of trans competitors is minute etc. I'm trying to get across that it IS a major issue for women's sport and that it only takes one super trans woman athlete to change everything. The governing bodies need to get their finger out (no pun intended!).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It's easy. Start the TransOlympics in the same way the Paralympians have their own games. They can all have their own class within disciplines.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
You've said you won't lose any sleep over it, the number of trans competitors is minute etc. I'm trying to get across that it IS a major issue for women's sport and that it only takes one super trans woman athlete to change everything. The governing bodies need to get their finger out (no pun intended!).

OK then, when my wife wakes up at 2am to find me pacing the bedroom, I'll say to her ' Don’t you realise it'll only take one super trans woman athlete to ruin all women's sport forever!' I imagine she'll say ' My God you're right! Now I can't sleep either.' :lolol:

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Nearly 100 posts and still no Mrs Crodo...
It is a very good question. I think that nowadays, there is no black and white.
I try and remain understanding to how people want to be received, but there is a long way to go before everyone will be that way.
Just because you are a small minority it doesn't mean your opinion isnt important.
Will be interesting to see how this will all be handled in the future...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here