[Other Sport] Define a Woman

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
CE6582DA-A71E-4276-83AF-39EBEF840FA3.jpeg

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
A maximum of 500,000 people, probably fewer, are transgender in the UK according to government figures. That's in a population of over 66m, so a very small percentage. It's highly unlikely to be a deciding factor in the way anyone votes.

Only if those that identify as transgender care about the issue.
I think you will find that is not the case.

As an oldie, I don't get it either, but my kids generation?
Yeah they do.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
A maximum of 500,000 people, probably fewer, are transgender in the UK according to government figures. That's in a population of over 66m, so a very small percentage. It's highly unlikely to be a deciding factor in the way anyone votes.

Certain sections of the right would love to make the culture war central to their platform though, with Braverman and Badenoch in particular thriving on it.

Much easier to blow a few dog whistles then tout the benefits of Brexit.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Certain sections of the right would love to make the culture war central to their platform though, with Braverman and Badenoch in particular thriving on it.

Both extremes are weirdos

JK Rowling getting death threats for saying controversial things like people born woman should have the right to a safe space.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

this isnt an issue from the right though. it comes from elsewhere out in the public, JK Rowling is no Conservative for an example. this isnt about the 500k transgendered, about the rest of the woman population concerned, they say, about erosion of rights they have.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Can get in a scolding hot bath in one attempt and without making a fuss.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s not up to me to define a woman. I’ll leave others to tie themselves up in knots over it.

Some aspects of my work involve working with Brighton Women’s Services and there are debates about who should be allowed in women’s refuges and safe houses.

We’re not expecting some kind of dark version of Mrs. Doubtfire :lolol: but obviously there are things to consider around the issue. So far the right decisions have been made (imo) and nobody that used to be a man would be allowed to stay in a women’s refuge/hostel/safe house etc.
Not in the services we support anyway.

But that could all change. I personally think dedicated projects for trans people would be the only way forward but they would have to be subdivided into male and female trans, respectively. Which brings up questions of marginalising.

It’s a minefield. There’s an answer out there. There always is. But I don’t expect it will please everyone. That’s how it is .

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
this isnt an issue from the right though. it comes from elsewhere out in the public, JK Rowling is no Conservative for an example. this isnt about the 500k transgendered, about the rest of the woman population concerned, they say, about erosion of rights they have.

You're right. It's not a left/right issue. I should've said that certain sections of the Tory party and their media backers would like to make it a key issue. Not only trans issues but identity politics in general.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Seems it's more the centre left who push the culture wars.

A 2021 report from King’s College London argued that many people’s views on cultural issues in Britain have become tied up with the side of the Brexit debate with which they identify, while the public party-political identities, although not as strong, show similar alignments and that around half the country held relatively strong views on “culture war” issues such as debates on Britain’s colonial history or Black Lives Matter. However, the report concluded Britain's cultural and political divide was not as stark as the Republican-Democratic divide in the US and that a sizeable section of the public can be categorised as having either moderate views or as being disengaged from social debates. It also found that The Guardian as opposed to the centre-right newspapers were more likely to talk about the culture wars.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not so sure, being sympathetic to transgender issues is just too "woke" and a black mark for some. It's not that long ago Cameron had half his Tory party vote against same sex Marriage, they can be very conservative these Conservatives.

I like the idea of being sympathetic to others.

Those that aren't won't get my vote.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I reckon, four pages and then Pit.

Maybe five.

I think that before it goes to the pit it will change the hearts and minds of many.

By post ten we had a poster claiming that anyone who saw things from the alternate point of view wasn't 'normal'. So it got off to a good start in the influencing hearts and minds stakes :lolol::lolol:

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Seems it's more the centre left who push the culture wars.

I respectfully disagree, it seems entirely the right-biased media who have some sort of mad obsession with gender identity.

I can promise you that this is not a major topic of discussion on the left, where there seems far more focus on cost of living, concerns over the conflict in Ukraine, and the ongoing comedy pratfalls of the modern Conservative Party, who are lurching so far right that fascism could become a centre-right position in British politics if Suella Braverman gets her hands on the keys to 10 Downing Street.

I think the right-biased media’s job is to keep its core vote in a state of perpetual outrage any way it can, that doesn’t mean that the topics it chooses to focus on are those the rest of the world are focusing on, it’s just what they believe will keep its disciples angry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here