Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Decisions that have gone against us

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Look on the plus side.

This will fuel a hate that will energize thousands of Brighton supporters for years. Possibly decades.

Think how we have all benefitted from hating Palace.

We should be grateful.
I already hated Spurs because of 1978 :)

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
These things even themselves out in the long term.

There is absolutely no point wasting valuable time, energy and human spirit on things you cannot change.
Indeed. And simply looking at VAR decisions that go for or against us isn't particularly useful...VAR could have got it right! Plus, even where VAR decisions have gone against us, they may not have changed the result (eg: Liverpool at Home, Leicester at Home, Wolves Away....we won all these, despite VAR decisions going aganist us). There are also "dodgy" decisions that don't go to VAR (for example, Bournemouth could easily have had two penalties in the game at our place).

Of course the really egregious errors (at Spurs and Palace) will rankle. But it's a complete waste of time harking back to them.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am still not having we should not have had a very late pen against Brentford. His arm was out. It hit his arm. Players stopped blocking (even from close) with their arms out because they keep giving pens for that. It was a stone wall pen imo. I don’t care how close you are. If you arm is there and it gets hit then it is a pen. Look at the Brentford player’s reaction ffs. He knew it had to be a pen.

Attachments

• aedb0f2b-2a7f-4f2e-af86-894906238f97.jpeg
    aedb0f2b-2a7f-4f2e-af86-894906238f97.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 7fd1dab4-e548-4491-b399-bb4d3f3e8469.jpeg
    7fd1dab4-e548-4491-b399-bb4d3f3e8469.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 48

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's not a great look to be constantly banging on about random decisions that don't go our way. Every team has them every single season. They are the decisions that more or less even themselves out over a season.

Our only real complaint should be VAR and the three apologies we've received for their incompetence.

1) Villa. We lost that game but if VAR had got that right we'd potentially be either 2 points behind or 1 ahead of them so it's an error that could cost us a European place.

2) Palace. An almost definite two lost points thanks to someone drawing the lines from the wrong defender. This is the one that absolutely blows my mind.

3)Spurs. Multiple decisions but the apology was for missing the penalty on Mitoma. If we'd got the correct decision we most likely win or at least draw which would leave us either two ahead of them or one behind.

If we say that we would have drawn with villa and Spurs and beaten Palace that would put us on 53 points, Villa on 52 and Spurs 51. Fifth place with an outside shot at the top 4. If we go best case scenario and say we'd have won them all we'd be on 57 points, 2 behind Man u with a game in hand and 2 behind Newcastle with two games in hand.

These are the decisions that need to be highlighted, not dubious calls that might have gone against us. The clear, solid mistakes, no ambiguity in them, that have cost us. Moaning about anything else is counterproductive and risks losing the wheat in the chaff.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
These things even themselves out in the long term.

There is absolutely no point wasting valuable time, energy and human spirit on things you cannot change.
Well....we need the next four seasons of two more VAR decisions going for us than against us each season, just to even up this season. I will keep a record and if we are both still here in 4 seasons time, we can compare notes.
VAR can change. Fans can put pressure on clubs. Clubs can put pressure on the PL. The media can keep highlighting it. Firstly, deal with the officials involved. Use more ex-players and managers. Show clearly, within the ground, the picture used to determine the decision and communicate that audibly to the fans. Consider an appeal system. Each side gets two reviews a game ( yes, I know the time factor....stop the clock....that should be in every ground in the country....so we all know how much time is really remaining )

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm contantly having the **** taken out of my whinging by non- Brighton fans about how many decisions have gone against us, but how many points has it cost us?

Spurs (multiple decisions) - 3 points
Palace (goal incorrectly ruled out) - 2 points
Villa (blatant pen not given) - 1 point
Leicester (blatant pen not given) - 2 points

Of course, we may not have scored the penalties and we could still have lost or drawn those games. Even so, those decisions could cost us Europe or even Champions League.

Not affecting results, there was also Fabinho's non-red v Liverpool in the cup, and the non-pen for the foul against Welbeck at Old Trafford.

I've been trying to think of big decisions that have actually gone in our favour, but really struggling. The only one I can think of is Dunk possibly blocking a cross by the touchline with his arm (forgotten which game). Any others?

I realise this gives off big victim vibes, but that stuff about things 'balancing themselves out over the course of the season' is basically bullsh*t, isn't it?

The problem with this is you've ignored decisions that other teams haven't got which has cost them points as well.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It's not a great look to be constantly banging on about random decisions that don't go our way. Every team has them every single season. They are the decisions that more or less even themselves out over a season.

Our only real complaint should be VAR and the three apologies we've received for their incompetence.

1) Villa. We lost that game but if VAR had got that right we'd potentially be either 2 points behind or 1 ahead of them so it's an error that could cost us a European place.

2) Palace. An almost definite two lost points thanks to someone drawing the lines from the wrong defender. This is the one that absolutely blows my mind.

3)Spurs. Multiple decisions but the apology was for missing the penalty on Mitoma. If we'd got the correct decision we most likely win or at least draw which would leave us either two ahead of them or one behind.

If we say that we would have drawn with villa and Spurs and beaten Palace that would put us on 53 points, Villa on 52 and Spurs 51. Fifth place with an outside shot at the top 4. If we go best case scenario and say we'd have won them all we'd be on 57 points, 2 behind Man u with a game in hand and 2 behind Newcastle with two games in hand.

These are the decisions that need to be highlighted, not dubious calls that might have gone against us. The clear, solid mistakes, no ambiguity in them, that have cost us. Moaning about anything else is counterproductive and risks losing the wheat in the chaff.
I agree that's it's those three that stand out.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
If the three cock-ups we have received apologies for cost us a place in Europe, it will never even up. Not only will it deprive us of a Euroean adventure, it will make keeping the band together in the summer even harder - and if certain players do go (they might anyway, but more likely to do so if we can't offer them European football), there is no guarantee that we'll be able to repeat, let alone better, what we've achieved this season.

Last edited:

AstroSloth

Dec 29, 2020
Against Fulham, Mitoma getting round Tete and being pulled so hard his number was on the front of his shirt, then tripped by Tete's leg so he couldn't get to the ball that was his for the taking.

Should have been a pen.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'm contantly having the **** taken out of my whinging by non- Brighton fans about how many decisions have gone against us, but how many points has it cost us?

Spurs (multiple decisions) - 3 points
Palace (goal incorrectly ruled out) - 2 points
Villa (blatant pen not given) - 1 point
Leicester (blatant pen not given) - 2 points

Of course, we may not have scored the penalties and we could still have lost or drawn those games. Even so, those decisions could cost us Europe or even Champions League.

Not affecting results, there was also Fabinho's non-red v Liverpool in the cup, and the non-pen for the foul against Welbeck at Old Trafford.

I've been trying to think of big decisions that have actually gone in our favour, but really struggling. The only one I can think of is Dunk possibly blocking a cross by the touchline with his arm (forgotten which game). Any others?

I realise this gives off big victim vibes, but that stuff about things 'balancing themselves out over the course of the season' is basically bullsh*t, isn't it?
There is, of course, no guarantee that the outcome of those games would have been better, although our position in those games would have improved. Butterfly effect.

I would balance this by saying that fans of other clubs may well have their own lists.

What we can establish is that VAR is not doing the intended job.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The time for this thread isn't now IMO. Europe is still very much on.

I'll go along with all of this at the end of the season if we don't make Europe, but I think we have no time to feel sorry for ourselves right at this point in time.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Point out that we've received 25% of all the formal apologies PGMOL has had to issue this season. In a 20-team league, that figure should be 5% if we weren't being stiffed regularly.
And these are just the ones that are so bad that they have to actually apologise for.

I can think of loads more that have been pretty blatantly wrong that they’ve not apologised for.

SAC

May 21, 2014
There is, of course, no guarantee that the outcome of those games would have been better, although our position in those games would have improved. Butterfly effect.

I would balance this by saying that fans of other clubs may well have their own lists.

What we can establish is that VAR is not doing the intended job.
Indeed. I would guess that there isn't a set of fans anywhere saying how they have done well with decisions going their way. We all see the ones that go against us and forget the ones that don't.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
that stuff about things 'balancing themselves out over the course of the season' is basically bullsh*t, isn't it?

Yes, of course it is.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Indeed. I would guess that there isn't a set of fans anywhere saying how they have done well with decisions going their way. We all see the ones that go against us and forget the ones that don't.
I had this defence from a spurs fan. I asked which ones. He said “I can’t think of any now but there will have been some”

The fact that we have reached the bar for a letter of apology so often shows how bad it has been this season.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Our 2 goals’ against Spurs wind me up the most.
They didn’t award the first one( Mitomas) because it wasn’t given on the pitch and wasn’t a clear and obvious error.
The 2nd one was chalked off because of a handball by MacA. Although the decision wasn’t clear and obvious, they still disallowed a goal that had been given on the pitch. There is no definite image of the ball striking Macs arm.

If you disallow the first goal, for the reasons given, you can’t disallow the second goal.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

A couple of the top of my head:

Sanchez handball outside the area against Grimsby ?
Leicesters disallowed goals for ‘offside’ last season ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A couple of the top of my head:

Sanchez handball outside the area against Grimsby ?
Leicesters disallowed goals for ‘offside’ last season ?
It wasn’t handball as proved by VAR. The full circumference of the ball wasn’t out of the area.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here