Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dean Smith - sacked

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Graham has a soft spot for Villa despite playing for the blue noses and baggies. Some villa fans up here want Potter to "come home" now Smith has gone.

It's completely meaningless but GPott is 7/1 favourite to take over.
Stevie G the odds on fav.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
A bit surprised by this one. He was given the thick end of £450m to spend on the squad in 3 years so I would have thought they would given him a bit longer to be honest. No fan of Villa but a couple of wins and everything improves so can't help think that Villa have panicked too early IMO.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
If I was Howe and hadn't put pen to paper and Villa came calling I would seriously consider them the better option. I think he will be gone from Newcastle whatever happens at the end of this season.

Villa have the better squad in situ and would probably give him more time.

Of course he might get a bumper payout when the Magpies move him out for someone better.

I would love to see that happen and watch the Saudis doing a Spurs meltdown

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Sam Allardyce is going to show up at some point, its just a question of where.

He’s normally wheeled out onto TalkSport Breakfast with Alan Brazil when he wants to remind people he’s about him existing, he happened to be on last Friday.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The market is still hot for Stevie G.

Thankfully still no move for GPott.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
If I was Howe and hadn't put pen to paper and Villa came calling I would seriously consider them the better option. I think he will be gone from Newcastle whatever happens at the end of this season.

Villa have the better squad in situ and would probably give him more time.

Of course he might get a bumper payout when the Magpies move him out for someone better.

i did wonder whether the timing was such that it was giving Howe proof that Villa were after him....

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Just reading the comments on BBC site stating what a good job he had done.....

Promotion via playoff (ok a good achievement) then kept up by a very dodgy decision as they were poor except grealish followed by a good season because of grealish ... Not necessarily bad but not very good either.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Villa would be a perfect fit for Smeggie Eddie. What joy it would be if he f***ed the Geordie tea towels and moved to Brum. :D

I suppose Birmingham might just be not far north enough to give him a nosebleed. Burnley was obviously too far north for him - Newcastle could be disastrous for him!

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It seems harsh if you take it on the face of five defeats, you'd expect him to be given more time.

Not so harsh when you consider Villa are (or at least were) the most over rated team in the league. Grealish carried that team to promotion, a survival they didn't deserve and a mid table finish. He leaves and suddenly Smith is left floundering despite spending hundreds of millions on the team.

He also always came across as one of the biggest complainers and excuse makers going coupled with being ridiculously villa blinkered when discussing his games.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Always had a bit of a hate boner for Villa. I find them particularly tedious and very, very cynical on the pitch. It is a strange one, because this has carried across multiple managers and playing squads, so either it's something ingrained in the fabric of the club - or just confirmation bias from me.

I particularly despised them under McLeish and Lambert. Boring, anti-football, rotational fouling. Awful to watch - was a blessing when they finally went down just to have a season's rest from their shenanigans.

Under Dean Smith they were exactly the same, but got results generally speaking across his tenure. Does seem a slightly harsh sacking, but he has been backed to the gills and whilst he did lose his best player, his expensive new signings have flopped to a man. Bailey, Ings, Buendia - all expensive mistakes so far.

Any manager that persists with playing El Ghazi, one of the worst footballers in this league, is probably rightly looking at the sack.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
[tweet]1457811412496101382[/tweet]

Well he probably needs to step over to England at some point if he wants to manage Liverpool. They are not run by sportswashers or someone using it as a toy, they are professional sports company that wants to make money off the club and need to be successful, they wont hire some legend just "for fun" and "lets see what happens".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here