Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dean Smith - sacked

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Very much ours l'd imagine. Why would he want to give up on all his good work here just to jump ship and join another club who operate in the same area of the Premier League as us?

And before anyone says because he is a Brummie, no one knows if he is a Villain, a Bluenose, or a Baggie.

Because Dean Smith was backed.

As usual the acolytes now tell us GPott couldn't win yesterday because of the squad he's been given.

Not an excuse Smithy can hide behind.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Absolutely nailed on to go soon as I said on another thread but I would greatly have preferred us sticking the nails in the coffin :rant:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Because Dean Smith was backed.

As usual the acolytes now tell us GPott couldn't win yesterday because of the squad he's been given.

Not an excuse Smithy can hide behind.

Yes Dean Smith was backed, yet look how far that got him? I don't think the Abion board are nearly so trigger happy as those at Villa Park.

Tony Bloom accepts that success takes a while to achieve, at Aston Villa they expect it a lot more quickly.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Yes Dean Smith was backed, yet look how far that got him? I don't think the Abion board are nearly so trigger happy as those at Villa Park.

Tony Bloom accepts that success takes a while to achieve, at Aston Villa they expect it a lot more quickly.

Actually Villa had a lot more patience with him than I thought they would. When they went 10 winless games in a row shortly after he took over, I thought they were going to kill him off but they kept him. Likewise when they had a poor spell in their first season up. They kept him for surprisingly long.

Villa are not going to end up where their fans/board expect them to because as always it is about the quality of the squad and they have no business being in the top 6. They should end up somewhere between 10-13.

As said previously though I understand this decision a lot more than sacking Farke, Nuno and Xisco.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] says there's no such thing as New Manager Bounce. So that must be the case. Thread closed then :shrug:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=38333]Swansman[/MENTION] says there's no such thing as New Manager Bounce. So that must be the case. Thread closed then

Plus if we got a result up there it would be down to GPotts brilliance.
& If we don't
It would be down to the squad not being good enough.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Not great timing for us...

1/4 of Premier League managers sacked this season - after just 10/11 matches.

PL chairmen at last beginning to realise what they need to do to give themselves a chance when a match against Brighton is imminent?

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I see Hassenhutl being listed as a possible replacement in some initial reports. Why? Is he really producing wonders at Southampton? Aren't they pretty much where you'd expect them to be (and with a history of poor runs). Seem to remember him being mentioned when Nuno left Spurs. Have I completely missed all the praise for him as a desirable manager?

And is villa really enough of a step up from Southampton for it to be worth his while?

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I see Hassenhutl being listed as a possible replacement in some initial reports. Why? Is he really producing wonders at Southampton? Aren't they pretty much where you'd expect them to be (and with a history of poor runs). Seem to remember him being mentioned when Nuno left Spurs. Have I completely missed all the praise for him as a desirable manager?

And is villa really enough of a step up from Southampton for it to be worth his while?

might depend on the salary and perceived 'ambition' but if it were me i would stay at Southampton cause he still is likely to be getting a lot of money.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Dont see it happening... when was the last time a mid-table team signed a coach from another mid-table team in the middle of the season?

So we get to face the new manager bounce in our next game.

Statistically:

First game after a new appointment, the new manager on average gets ca 1 point which is also somewhere close to the league average for sacked managers. No bounce.

In the next five games after a new appointment, teams on average take about 2x the points they got from the last 5 with the previous manager. Bounce or return to normal, hard to tell.

After 10 games you have about a 5% chance of the new bloke having a better point per game average than the old bloke.

So is there a manager bounce? I guess you could argue there is but its a very overestimated concept.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here