Will you boo Dean Hammond?

• Yes

Votes: 55 8.7%
  • No

Votes: 577 91.3%

• Total voters

mattislost

Dec 12, 2011
i think he is a good signing, but i can't believe he came back. personally i think he we should let him know that we haven't forgotten what he did. i'm not talking about prolonged booing - just a little jeer

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wont be booing, certainly wont be cheering after that disgraceful peformance at the Amex last term. Respect is earnt and he is currently on empty.

I just had to check Hammond was playing at the amex game last yr as have no recolection of this 'disgraceful performance'. What did he do..?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Boo

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)

Boo Boo (natch)

FU7986lg.jpg

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I could be wrong but I seem to remember that we started it, by booing him on his first appearance back at Withdean. I was surprised - I thought he'd done well for us, and he didn't get the contract offer he and Dean Wilkins expected him to get because Dick Knight didn't rate him - hence his move to Colchester. Perhaps if he'd got a different reception he might not have celebrated his goal against us at all. I'll be interested to hear his take on it ...

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Completely untrue, and yes, I was there. Nobody booed him or gave him stick before he scored the equaliser. It was unprovoked aggression by Hammond to the fans.

Strange how people can have such different recollections of the same event ...

zoogull

zoogull
May 29, 2008
Herstmonceux
If Gus has brought him in as a loan player to strengthen the squad then he obviously thinks he can do a job. He's still a Southampton player, so you don't have to be rapturous in welcoming him back if you don't want to.

But why are people getting so stressed? The custom of not celebrating when you score against one of your old clubs is a relatively new one. Once a player has gone, his loyalty goes as well. We're talking about professionals who want to win to secure their own future, not that of the team, although the two are bound together to a point.

All this misty eyed romanticism is about as relevant as the notion of player loyalty. Judge him on what he does, not the past.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
If Gus has brought him in as a loan player to strengthen the squad then he obviously thinks he can do a job. He's still a Southampton player, so you don't have to be rapturous in welcoming him back if you don't want to.

But why are people getting so stressed? The custom of not celebrating when you score against one of your old clubs is a relatively new one. Once a player has gone, his loyalty goes as well. We're talking about professionals who want to win to secure their own future, not that of the team, although the two are bound together to a point.

All this misty eyed romanticism is about as relevant as the notion of player loyalty. Judge him on what he does, not the past.

All well and good but I suspect few are stressing or romantic about loyalty. It's just simple fun. Please do not forget that football is a participation sport for us puntersl. Part of our enjoyment is the pantomime of booing players. Long may it continue.

Personally, I think you're missing the point.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I could be wrong but I seem to remember that we started it, by booing him on his first appearance back at Withdean. I was surprised - I thought he'd done well for us, and he didn't get the contract offer he and Dean Wilkins expected him to get because Dick Knight didn't rate him - hence his move to Colchester. Perhaps if he'd got a different reception he might not have celebrated his goal against us at all. I'll be interested to hear his take on it ...

I recall booing as well. Not on a grand scale but certainly isolated pockets in the south stand.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Dead right...Albion fans gave him a lot of stick first.....he gave it all when he played for us.....Hammond booing was uncalled for.....now Harding I understand......

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Completely untrue, and yes, I was there. Nobody booed him or gave him stick before he scored the equaliser. It was unprovoked aggression by Hammond to the fans.

NOBODY ? booed him or gave him stick...really?.........You might have been there, but you must have had a scarf around your ears if you could'nt hear the booing....A lot of us who where there commented on the booing...TBH I do not blame him for retaliating...those who booed might have felt safe amongst their friends but as soon as you get a reaction back you cry 'Foul'
As he has said,He was younger and hotheaded then but has matured since as we all do... apart from a few unmatured fans who cannot forgive or forget....hope some of you have grown up now as he has.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
NOBODY ? booed him or gave him stick...really?.........You might have been there, but you must have had a scarf around your ears if you could'nt hear the booing....A lot of us who where there commented on the booing...TBH I do not blame him for retaliating...those who booed might have felt safe amongst their friends but as soon as you get a reaction back you cry 'Foul'
As he has said,He was younger and hotheaded then but has matured since as we all do... apart from a few unmatured fans who cannot forgive or forget....hope some of you have grown up now as he has.

There was a lot of booing but it was aimed at Harding not Hammond. Hammond had played against us before for Colchester and not had any stick. There are others on this thread who also agree with me that Hammond didn't get any stick. Having said that, sound didn't carry well at Withdean so there may have been an odd pocket of fans who were making some noise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
There was a lot of booing but it was aimed at Harding not Hammond. Hammond had played against us before for Colchester and not had any stick. There are others on this thread who also agree with me that Hammond didn't get any stick. Having said that, sound didn't carry well at Withdean so there may have been an odd pocket of fans who were making some noise.

Anyway, all together now: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not our own players Shirley.

True. I only tend to boo the team as a whole and only at the end of a game if the perfomance has been a bit shit house. I cannot recall the last time I did this though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Out of interest what do you all think Hammond should have to do for total forgiveness?

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

At the Colchester game, I remember booing him (the Same game as Hinshelwoods classic own goal if I remember rightly). I also remember being in a minority of 1 doing so.

Personally, I was booing him as he'd been given by all accounts the 2nd best contract offer we'd given anyone and there was talk from his side that he'd been ''forced out''. I won't boo him now but I was distinctly unimpressed with this signing on Friday after the excitement of the previous 3

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here