Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi Thoughts?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is there a chance we were we just in a completely false position a month ago? That Leicester game felt so good, but now it turns out Leicester are absolutely shit, maybe it wasn’t such an amazing performance against a top side after all. And the Man Utd and Liverpool results were actually against teams lower in the table than us. Not trying to rewrite history but maybe we weren’t quite as good as we thought, and would be in a similar position now if Potter was still in charge? Nobody knows, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. We blew hot and cold a lot under Potter, let's not forget that. RDZ needs time, we were always going to take a dip to begin with under him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I want him to do well, but my instincts say he's a dud.
It is too early to tell, but can't not be honest and say I don't have same concerns.

A lot is made of how well he did with Sasuolo and his start with Donetsk (which is like managing celtic in Scotland)

But there were a few very poor form/run sackings and so far it appears a lack of tactical nous to change/affect what's happening in real time. We've lost cutting edge.

Alan Pardew did well at Reading and West Ham, the rest is history!

Can only hope we turn corner quickly, don't want to go back to looking for 3 'more shit' teams.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
With exception of Mwepu it’s still Potter’s team, so early comparisons with Hypia are wide of the mark.

It’s a confidence thing, with very small margins, anyone of those chances goes in in the first half and it’s game over and an emphatic win.

Nowhere panicking or concerned, 4 League games before World Cup break, will be happy with 4/6 points, anything else is a bonus, then we come back to Southampton on Boxing Day hitting the ground running, but he will have had quality time with the non WC players by then.

Would actually like to see a full strength team out against the Gunners in the League Cup, but that’s wishful thinking?

Older NSCers will remember we went to Forest, the Champions of Europe, in November 1979 looking like relegation fodder, we won 1-0 and it turned the season round.

Someone is going to win at City at some point, why not is? 🤷‍♂️

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
It's early days but I will feel a lot, lot happier when he gets his first win.

I can't get the nagging dread out of my mind that we are going to keep dropping down the table.

The World Cup break can't come soon enough for me.

Time for a reassuring win please.

I'm finding it hard to Hold The Nerve.
I think you need to accept that we will be dropping down the league, we'll likely end up in the bottom half at the end of the season, we wont go down, but I feel we all need to lower our expectations this season. So we're now back to looking over our shoulder, that's fine, we have a raft of experience at that.

Needless to say, I'm quite relaxed by it all, I also enjoy my bed too much to wet it.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
With exception of Mwepu it’s still Potter’s team, so early comparisons with Hypia are wide of the mark.

It’s a confidence thing, with very small margins, anyone of those chances goes in in the first half and it’s game over and an emphatic win.

Nowhere panicking or concerned, 4 League games before World Cup break, will be happy with 4/6 points, anything else is a bonus, then we come back to Southampton on Boxing Day hitting the ground running, but he will have had quality time with the non WC players by then.

Would actually like to see a full strength team out against the Gunners in the League Cup, but that’s wishful thinking?

Older NSCers will remember we went to Forest, the Champions of Europe, in November 1979 looking like relegation fodder, we won 1-0 and it turned the season round.

Win at Man City?

Its the hope that kills, and delusion certainly fuels the hope!

Remember Forest away!

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Give the guy a chance I think. He's had 4 matches which included a highly creditable draw at Anfield. Tiny margins, we could've easily have won last night and it would be a reasonable 4 points from 4 games. People seem to forget that GP was highly capable of taking us on some shocking runs, such as last seasons no win in 12 and 6 defeats in 7 and also we often dominated and didn't score but a good end to last and a good start to this season and he's seen as the messiah. Judging RZB after 4 games is ridiculous give him a chance to put his stamp on the team.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS

I was there for that win at Forest Ian, hilarious day out, and didn't we stop their unbeaten home record?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Is there a chance we were we just in a completely false position a month ago? That Leicester game felt so good, but now it turns out Leicester are absolutely shit, maybe it wasn’t such an amazing performance against a top side after all. And the Man Utd and Liverpool results were actually against teams lower in the table than us. Not trying to rewrite history but maybe we weren’t quite as good as we thought, and would be in a similar position now if Potter was still in charge? Nobody knows, but it's not beyond the realms of possibility. We blew hot and cold a lot under Potter, let's not forget that. RDZ needs time, we were always going to take a dip to begin with under him.
I said this at the time. We hadn’t really played anyone good early in the season.

A terrible Man Utd (who Brentford beat even heavier a week later), a bad Liverpool - scored 3 but only drew. Leicester terrible. When we played better form teams we lost (Fulham, Spurs). 1-0 win against poor Leeds team, we always beat West Ham.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

4-6 points from the next 4 games is A LOT easier said than done...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If we don't win before the World Cup break, I think we're in big trouble as the negative mindset will then have 6 weeks to embed before it's given a chance to shift

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If we don't win before the World Cup break, I think we're in big trouble as the negative mindset will then have 6 weeks to embed before it's given a chance to shift
It won’t. A break to regroup and a few friendlies are being arranged so takes the pressure off

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Blimey there's some worriers on here. It's far far far too early to make any judgements on RDZ. How many of you have joined a job and already been performing at the levels of your (exceptional) predecessor after a couple of months?

Give him a season before we start judging him in earnest. Potter took 2 seasons before he started getting results, and even last season was far from perfect.

Also as others suggested, we were likely in a false position. Think a few need to reset expectations for this year, it was highly unlikely we'd carry on where we left off regardless of who took over. If we end up somewhere above 15th, with signs of progression in terms of playing style, tactics and new signings/young players being introduced, then we've done ok.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Let's not forget:
Potter set a Brighton club record of 14 home games without a win.
Only one win at the Amex in the calendar year of 2020. Three months without a win between September 2021 and Boxing Day.
Three months without scoring at the Amex between January and April 2022. Six defeats in a row for the first time since Mark McGhee was manager.
Potter set the Albion’s worst-ever start to a top-flight season.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Let's not forget:
Potter set a Brighton club record of 14 home games without a win.
Only one win at the Amex in the calendar year of 2020. Three months without a win between September 2021 and Boxing Day.
Three months without scoring at the Amex between January and April 2022. Six defeats in a row for the first time since Mark McGhee was manager.
Potter set the Albion’s worst-ever start to a top-flight season.
The squad is a lot stronger now than the Potter early years

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Give him some time and a transfer window. I agree we will drop down the league somewhat but hopefully the to transition to Zebriball won't take too long.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Three months without a win between September 2021 and Boxing Day.
Three months without scoring at the Amex between January and April 2022. Six defeats in a row for the first time since Mark McGhee was manager.’

This squad is weaker than the team that set the above

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Is it ? No White, no Burn, no Cucu, no Biss, no Mwepu, no Maupay... even Duffy... The rise of Sanchez aside, I'm struggling to see a case for our squad being much stronger than the one Potter had day one in the job. The squad right now is paper thin... Alzate being loaned out was, alas, a mistake - Roberto clearly has very little faith in Undav, Jeremy and Enciso ... last night for example was crying out for someone to run into the box and try to win a penalty or create something out of nothing yet the two potential ball carriers stayed benched... the very fact we've got Turns on the bench is worrying... Roberto has a real job on his hands... Any injury to one of Tross, Welbz and/or Caicedo even (God forbid) Dunk and we're simply screwed. The more I think about it GP must have recognised the risk he was taking staying put with our current model and squad depth - I think the over confidence (internally) that GP could indeed make a silk purse out of pretty much anything and would remain satisfied in his job ... well it's now coming home to roost. It's small wonder he went when he did, staying where he was knowing he'd likely lose Tross this season too... ? not realistic, Chelsea or indeed whoever came knocking he was off... the time was right and now with a decent but probably not brilliant coach, we're looking at diminishing returns at an alarming rate.

I've been thinking this since GP went - if we stay up, we've really overachieved.

Hence getting on De Zerbis back is not really on... a decent starting XI aside, there's very little to get excited about... very little.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Is it worrying that Leicester side beat Forest 3-0

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here