[Albion] De Zerbi Thoughts?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Taken some time to consider the game. It was quite disappointing, not just because of the result, but because I never felt like we were going to score, and for my part I didn't want this thread to just be moaning about things when they don't go well.

There is that worry, looking at the run of games this month, Brentford would have been in the 'realistic chance of getting something', but it never felt like we would. I feel like the result v Spurs was a disappointment and that we would see a return to the sort of football we played v Liverpool, but that didn't come. Maybe a lift to 'go win it for Mwepu', but again that didn't seem to come.

I think having had some time, I see a lot of what has been mentioned - we had these sorts of runs under Potter (remember the 12 game winless run that followed four early wins last season, the six game losing streak, the going through all of 2020 with one home win). He;s had a couple of weeks to have an effect, and hasn't even had a full week since the last game because of the friday night fixture.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Last season at Brentford we got away with a few close scrapes. We didn’t get that luck last night and we were edged out.
What’s important is that the players and fans don’t lose faith after having lost a couple of games. However, Tuesday is a really important game now and we do really need a win to restore confidence.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I found the Spurs and Brentford games boring to watch, two games now Sanchez has made suicide passes out from the back luckily so far we have got away with it. I get the idea and all yet all I see is the opposition pressing almost knowing we will f*** it up eventually and a chance will come. For two games now we could of played all night and not scored.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
I found the Spurs and Brentford games boring to watch, two games now Sanchez has made suicide passes out from the back luckily so far we have got away with it. I get the idea and all yet all I see is the opposition pressing almost knowing we will f*** it up eventually and a chance will come. For two games now we could of played all night and not scored.
I also found the Spurs game boring to watch , we have definitely gone backwards the last couple of games ,
why change things when they were going so well

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
People were calling for Potter’s head for a long time , until we hit the top half of the table. We had a couple of seasons bumping along the bottom of the Prem.
When GP upped and left , I knew that the era had passed and it was back to the struggle. Give the guy a chance ! He has only been in the country five minutes....
I believe it will come good again, but perhaps not this season....

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
People were calling for Potter’s head for a long time , until we hit the top half of the table. We had a couple of seasons bumping along the bottom of the Prem.
When GP upped and left , I knew that the era had passed and it was back to the struggle. Give the guy a chance ! He has only been in the country five minutes....
I believe it will come good again, but perhaps not this season....
But we have got better players than we had when Potter first came , and the players have had a lot of experience of playing in the premier

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think Tottenham and Brentford have shown how to defend against us, two deep lines at the edge of the penalty area taking away the space between the lines and we are left shooting from outside the box, as we have limited options to get behind out wide.

Fully expect Forest to do the same given their need to get a result.
But that only came about as both teams came at us hard in the first quarter or so of the game and snatched a lead. Not letting us settle early in the game was key. Will be interesting if Forest can start the game with that much intensity and attacking intent.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I also found the Spurs game boring to watch , we have definitely gone backwards the last couple of games ,
why change things when they were going so well
We did the same thing at Fulham. It’s not necessarily changing things, it’s whether players can maintain performance levels game after game. We lost home to Spurs only 6 months or so ago as well - it’s not like we weren’t losing games under the old manager.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
schitts creek.jpg
I think we are now up Schitts Creek

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Taken some time to consider the game. It was quite disappointing, not just because of the result, but because I never felt like we were going to score, and for my part I didn't want this thread to just be moaning about things when they don't go well.

There is that worry, looking at the run of games this month, Brentford would have been in the 'realistic chance of getting something', but it never felt like we would. I feel like the result v Spurs was a disappointment and that we would see a return to the sort of football we played v Liverpool, but that didn't come. Maybe a lift to 'go win it for Mwepu', but again that didn't seem to come.

I think having had some time, I see a lot of what has been mentioned - we had these sorts of runs under Potter (remember the 12 game winless run that followed four early wins last season, the six game losing streak, the going through all of 2020 with one home win). He;s had a couple of weeks to have an effect, and hasn't even had a full week since the last game because of the friday night fixture.
After about 15 minutes, before which Brentford had been on top without creating anything, we had a string of about five decent chances/openings before they scored. Not only did that generate the feeling that we were going to score, we should have scored -- Welbeck's tame header from six yards especially.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
After about 15 minutes, before which Brentford had been on top without creating anything, we had a string of about five decent chances/openings before they scored. Not only did that generate the feeling that we were going to score, we should have scored -- Welbeck's tame header from six yards especially.
It should have generated that feeling, but it didn't for me. I never had faith we would score. Welbeck has not scored this season, his confidence is low, so even when he gets a great chance I'm not feeling like he'll actually put it away. The chances that didn't fall to him seemed to fall to March who without wanting to pile on to him, it seems goalscoring is not one of his strengths.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can we please put this negativity in context and say the manager doesn't even speak English yet. Give the guy a few months at least.
His English is fine. But most of his coaching staff speak very little English

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Yet to be convinced, I’m not sure he’s the one to move us on from the previous good work, we’ve looked slack and lethargic in long periods the last two games, are we being worked too hard in training?

This could be a rare Tony Bloom gamble that goes wrong, I hope I’m proved wrong but the jury is firmly out at the moment.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Yet to be convinced, I’m not sure he’s the one to move us on from the previous good work, we’ve looked slack and lethargic in long periods the last two games, are we being worked too hard in training?

This could be a rare Tony Bloom gamble that goes wrong, I hope I’m proved wrong but the jury is firmly out at the moment.
Jury hasn’t even been called after 3 games, let alone is it ‘out’ to me (two of which were against CL teams). DeZ may need months to get us to play how he wants. Frustrating after where we seemed to be going under Potter but need to be patient.

Last edited:

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Exactly how I felt. Honestly, thought we were great at times in the first half, and it was a matter of time.

their goal was completely against the run of play. As good as Welbeck is playing he cannot keep missing relatively simple chances.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Welbeck has never really been a prolific scorer and tends to set chances up. The fact the most get buttoned straight at the keeper or over the bar needs addressing on the training pitch. Also the total ineptness to get a striker in along the same mould as Welbeck could cost us

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports