Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi got it badly wrong today

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
Agree with all those bad day at the office posts. It's been so good under RDZ, we have to take the (albeit rather heavy) loss on the chin and move on. I got way more frustrated under Potter where we would dominate a game but only come away with a point or even lose it and for it to feel very unjust. Not to mention the xG and then the lack of actual goals. I can take this defeat against Everton who executed their game plan against us perfectly. Still hope they go down with that "huge" club in Yorkshire...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So it wasn’t fatigue at all, your initial reply to me.

And I’ve always favoured a centre midfield trio. That’s not an Albion thing, it extends to all football. It’s where games are often won or lost. Irrespective that two worked so well in the 6-0. We saw this last night, 5 big units overwhelmed our numbers. From the very first seconds.
Welbeck played deeper again in the number 10 role, as he did against Wolves - effectively the third midfielder.

As for fatigue, you’re obviously not familiar with the modern concept of squad rotation to keep players fresh when there’s a game every few days. I was simply pointing out that there were valid reasons for every one of his starting XI to play in this game. It wasn’t some random team selection. He rarely chops and changes if everyone is fully fit and rested.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Why couldn't Gilmour play with Mac A and Caicedo? Gross has been enabling Mac A to play at the apex of a midfield 3 through the season, my feeling is Gilmour's inclusion would have been at the expense of Undav, not Mac or Moises.
Who said he couldn’t? People criticising RDZ for ‘weakening’ the team by playing Undav and Welbeck together is stupid though. That pairing took Wolves apart.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Who said he couldn’t? People criticising RDZ for ‘weakening’ the team by playing Undav and Welbeck together is stupid though. That pairing took Wolves apart.
What RDZ didn't know, or, perhaps underestimated, was Everton fielding rugby league/basketball players and Dyche having all the knowledge/detail on how to circumnavigate dunk/Webster, a pair of forward marauding but slow centre backs. Catching us on the break with a ball over the top has proven to be a piece of piss For some.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
What RDZ didn't know, or, perhaps underestimated, was Everton fielding rugby league/basketball players and Dyche having all the knowledge/detail on how to circumnavigate dunk/Webster, a pair of forward marauding but slow centre backs. Catching us on the break with a ball over the top has proven to be a piece of piss For some.

Good points, a learning curve for RDZ. One of the papers linked this to Dyche spotting what Rafa did when he brought Everton to the Amex in Sept 21, where he identified the flanks as our weakness to exploit. A tactical masterclass, Everton controlled that game from start to finish.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Is that the manager weakness or the squad weakness? We have a big injury list, no right back, and a forward (Welbeck) who needs his minutes managed. Yes Forest went wrong but who was moaning about rotation when we pumped Wolves 6-0 with a b team, or on Thursday night

Doesn't mean they have the fitness for 3 high pressure top division games in quick succession
I think it is probably a bit of both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here