Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi got it badly wrong today

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Surely he knew that a Dyche team would not play any kind of press let alone a high one. That Everton would pack the defence with 7ft players so a lofted ball was a waste of time. Would break with speed and accuracy so don’t commit too many players forward and would use the dark arts to good advantage. Surely he knew all of that. So why did he play a weak starting eleven - I don’t care what anyone says, Undav is a championship player at best - no March ( who made a big difference when he came on) ditto Fergy and Gilmore. I love Roberto but his game play today was naive to say the least.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It’s his first season in the PL and against Dyche.
Yes he got it wrong but made changes at half time so we improved.
It’s football, it happens when relegation teams are fighting and referees are useless.

HASSOCKS-BHA

Jun 11, 2012
We were lethargic from the very first kick of the ball. You could see their first goal coming from 10 seconds in, only took them another 30. No excuse for fans leaving so early though. If you can enjoy the wins you have to take the losses. That's football. At least for true supporters anyway. We'll bounce back.

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
Yep picked the wrong team , mind you said the same thing against wolves , unlike wolves though Everton were stronger All over the pitch than use ,
don’t understand why he won’t start Dunk , Webster and colwill as a back 3 ,the team would be more balanced

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
We were lethargic from the very first kick of the ball. You could see their first goal coming from 10 seconds in, only took them another 30. No excuse for fans leaving so early though. If you can enjoy the wins you have to take the losses. That's football. At least for true supporters anyway. We'll bounce back.
I can understand today of all days. I never understand leaving early during a game like the other day v United, but today the rain had swept in and its monday night with back to work/school tomo for most after a long weekend - can see why many thought sod this when the 4th went in - no chance of a come back

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Thought the set up in the first half was wrong. We were overwhelmed in the midfield and couldn't get through to Undav and Welbz who ended up being spare parts. Lots of passing around in the back but no real threat.

At least RDZ tried to change it at HT but by then the damage was done and they just sat back and didn't try to get out of their half for the first 40 mins of the 2nd half.

Bad day at the office. Onwards and upwards.

UTA.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
4 subs at half time and going by his post match comments I get the feeling a few words were said in the changing room

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can understand today of all days. I never understand leaving early during a game like the other day v United, but today the rain had swept in and its monday night with back to work/school tomo for most after a long weekend - can see why many thought sod this when the 4th went in - no chance of a come back
Today was the first time I have left a game early since we were 2-0 down to Burnley in about 2004 and Sidwell scored 2 in the last 2 minutes. 2 kids in the pissing rain, 1-4 down on 90 minutes and they and have school tomorrow at the end of a long, tiring weekend. Hopefully it will be another 20 years before I do so again. I’m OK with my decision.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Totally agree that De Zerbi ball was never going to work against a Dyche team, especially one in the relegation zone. Needed something different today but the changes at HT were too little too late.

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
Yep picked the wrong team , mind you said the same thing against wolves , unlike wolves though Everton were stronger All over the pitch than use ,
don’t understand why he won’t start Dunk , Webster and colwill as a back 3 ,the team would be more balanced
He’s never played with 3 at the back since he’s been here
How do you think it would balance us better?

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Surely he knew that a Dyche team would not play any kind of press let alone a high one. That Everton would pack the defence with 7ft players so a lofted ball was a waste of time. Would break with speed and accuracy so don’t commit too many players forward and would use the dark arts to good advantage. Surely he knew all of that. So why did he play a weak starting eleven - I don’t care what anyone says, Undav is a championship player at best - no March ( who made a big difference when he came on) ditto Fergy and Gilmore. I love Roberto but his game play today was naive to say the least.

Aside from changing the starting 11, what would you have done differently?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I think he’s trying to manage resources with two games a week every week. Probably thought that Undav and Bounanotte would be better used today than against Arsenal and on paper that seems logical. He’s also not played a Dyche team before.

It was a poor team selection in hindsight but we got away with similar v Wolves.

Not RDZ’s fault how bad MacAllister, Dunk & Mitoma were though

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My layman’s take is always play 5 in midfield if the opposition are. Games are won or lost there.

Every Everton team since the 90’s has done that.

I actually thought Buonanotte was by far the least effective against ManUre, he was kind of bullied out of it by grown ups. Same again tonight.

Undav’s touch was shocking, he must’ve started 5 Everton counter attacks. Plus he was never, ever going to head in goals against a phalanx of 6’3 bench-pressers. A not very skilled lost lamb tonight.

So a combination of being too clever by half in selection. Why not at the business end just play your best 11? Liverpool, Everton, Villa, Spurs are now for example. Players who’ve let them down or aren’t imposing themselves are shelved.

As well as Webster and Mitoma were really caught out tonight for their weaknesses.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
:yawn:

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Aside from changing the starting 11, what would you have done differently?
What do I know? It’s all about opinions, I would have liked us to have been a bit less gung ho and a bit more patient. I don’t like the conservative (or big ’C’) approach but we‘ve all seen the Dyche game enough times to know not to set out like we did today.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
It’s his first season in the PL and against Dyche.
Yes he got it wrong but made changes at half time so we improved.
It’s football, it happens when relegation teams are fighting and referees are useless.
I thought the ref was ok tbh.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here