Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi constant player changes

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
I'm a neutral who enjoys watching every Brighton game, what are you, the fans, opinion on De Zerbi constantly chopping and changing his starting 11? any of you getting annoyed by it? I understand you got a lot of games to play, and a lot of good players to use, but nearly every top team players largely the same 11 every game with 1-3 changes max. Seems De Zerbi does 5-7 changes game to game. Mental.
With the rotations this season:
  • Brighton are currently 8th in the Premier League and would move up to 6th with a win against Sheffield United tomorrow.
  • We are also 2nd in the Europa League, only a point behind leaders Marseille, and have just beaten Ajax twice.
Why should I be annoyed? I'm currently watching Brighton at their best and that has been led by one man, Robert De Zerbi - I have complete trust in him.

Last edited:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We are doin' alright aren't we.

At the moment RDZ can do what the hell he wants.

I occasionally complain about game management and request us to be a little more flexible and pragmatic with our play. However I am along for the ride and am very happy with the way things are going. Aside from the dip in form we are in and the injuries.

What a time to be a Brighton fan.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Well I guess we have started to see the fruits of the rotation system in the Ajax game. Dunk has a groin twang and Igor slots seemlessly into place alongside JPVH and no one worries.

I think he tinkers plenty depending on the opposition, who can do best for what he wants in that specific game, and whilst it can be frustrating, it's a long season and I think it'll play out in our favour in the end.

Then again it might not. Only time will tell. 😁

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Postecoglou at spurs blamed yardage defeat on "several of the guys have played their first game of the year". In other words, he's stuck with the same starting 11 when he can and is now paying the price because his reserves haven't played this season.

Substituting your best defensive midfielder when 1-0 up because you're worried he might get sent off probably didn't help the side concede two goals in injury time either. Ultimately it was poor game management and players switching off (+ a worldie volley) that sunk Spurs.
Having said that I like Ange, and what he is trying to do at Spurs. I suspect the match against RdZ will be interesting just after Christmas

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
De Zerbi knows more than I do but in my bunker of ignorance I would like to see a little less rotation but I suspect most is forced rather than choice and it is what it is

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
In not as bothered by the changes under RDZ as I usually would be.

His tactical style is that the system is the most important thing, more important than any single player but its always a balance between the two.

The extra games and losing two of the best CMs in the world are the biggest factor IMHO, the dip in form was to be expected. The only way to fix it would've been to spend big on ready made replacements but we accept that goes against the ethos of the club.

So with all that taken into account, I think he's doing as well as he possibly could do.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Shearer said on Match of the Day 2... "They’ve (Villa) only made eight changes to their starting lineup – they’re in Europe so they’re playing on Thursday, playing at the weekend – when Brighton have made 48. When you compare that, Emery obviously has them really fit and they’re playing really, entertaining football"

That perhaps completely misses the point in terms of injuries but it's a very interesting stat. 8 Vs 48 changes post European games.

Shearer said on Match of the Day 2... "They’ve (Villa) only made eight changes to their starting lineup – they’re in Europe so they’re playing on Thursday, playing at the weekend – when Brighton have made 48. When you compare that, Emery obviously has them really fit and they’re playing really, entertaining football"

That perhaps completely misses the point in terms of injuries but it's a very interesting stat. 8 Vs 48 changes post European games.
Yeh I think the scale of the rotation is the issue under discussion not necessarily the principle of it. I guess too early to tell if RDZ has got it right on the big 48 number

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Man City won the PL with only 22 players last season. And won the CL & FA Cup. Rotating doesn’t work…

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Surely burnout is not the problem I see Div 1 and 2 clubs have already played 16/17 league games plus cup games. I think more of a problem is that De Zerbi assuming players rest on Friday after Europa game only has Saturday to prepare for league game
I would think very few of our players have played as many games as lower league clubs who may have smaller squads.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Surely burnout is not the problem I see Div 1 and 2 clubs have already played 16/17 league games plus cup games. I think more of a problem is that De Zerbi assuming players rest on Friday after Europa game only has Saturday to prepare for league game
I would think very few of our players have played as many games as lower league clubs who may have smaller squads.

Could it be that all EFL clubs have that packed programme, giving a level playing field when it comes to fatigue.

Whilst in the PL, players from the following clubs have a cozy week to rest, not travel and prepare between league games:
Luton
Sheffield United
Spurs
Palarse
Chelsea
Burnley
Forest
Wolves
Bmuff
Everton
Brentford
Fulham

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing
Yeh I think the scale of the rotation is the issue under discussion not necessarily the principle of it. I guess too early to tell if RDZ has got it right on the big 48 number
Not sure where the 48 figure comes from or refers to.
Over the season so far (12 league 4 Europa and 1 CC) we have made a total of 84 changes in starting line up and if just post Europa (Thu - Sun) it is 27. Maybe it is the Europa games themselves and post Europa which i make 46.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
To be honest I thought for most of the game on Sunday De Zerbi was vindicated. We played some lovely passages of football and should have been more then a single goal up. Compare that to Newcastle who imploded against bournemouth, looked knackered and didn’t look like a team at all.

It was not his fault Dahoud had a funny five minutes and the team didn’t adjust quickly enough to the sending off.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
To be honest I thought for most of the game on Sunday De Zerbi was vindicated. We played some lovely passages of football and should have been more then a single goal up. Compare that to Newcastle who imploded against bournemouth, looked knackered and didn’t look like a team at all.

It was not his fault Dahoud had a funny five minutes and the team didn’t adjust quickly enough to the sending off.

:goal:

Yes I agree with this. I've been bothered more by the shuffles of previous games than this one. Get to half-time 1-0 and bringing on your bigger players, you've got to feel as a manager you've done your job well. Dahoud wasn't the only sliding doors moment, the handball penalty that Match of the Day said should have been given would have made it two nil and there's no way SU would be coming back from that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here