Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] De Zerbi constant player changes

BrianSwan

Apr 15, 2012
I'm a neutral who enjoys watching every Brighton game, what are you, the fans, opinion on De Zerbi constantly chopping and changing his starting 11? any of you getting annoyed by it? I understand you got a lot of games to play, and a lot of good players to use, but nearly every top team players largely the same 11 every game with 1-3 changes max. Seems De Zerbi does 5-7 changes game to game. Mental.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It may actually be a master-stroke. Teams like Newcastle and Spurs who have tended not to make many changes, and have loads of injuries, are now going to have to play guys with little match experience.
It may have been slightly disruptive, but potentially the right strategy in the longer term.

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
I suspect if the injuries weren't mounting up quite so fast, he wouldn't be making quite so many changes each week.
Also we have this odd combination of either very young, or old players, who he feels can't cope with 2 games a week.
If the aim is to prevent burn out over a potentially 50+ game season all well and good.
Maybe there will be slightly fewer changes each week as things settle down through the season.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
I personally don't agree with it right now and it's not working considering everyone's getting injured anyway and league form is suffering. Maybe it'll pay dividends later in the season. More concerned because I don't know which of our forwards to put in my FPL team

But we're f***ing class, I could play LB and we'd still win (if we dominate possession and I'm not up against a quick winger)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm a neutral who enjoys watching every Brighton game, what are you, the fans, opinion on De Zerbi constantly chopping and changing his starting 11? any of you getting annoyed by it? I understand you got a lot of games to play, and a lot of good players to use, but nearly every top team players largely the same 11 every game with 1-3 changes max. Seems De Zerbi does 5-7 changes game to game. Mental.
In RDZ I trust.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
won’t lie, it has annoyed me. it feels as though we haven’t been able to get a settled first 11 and that has impacted the confidence within our play at times. i'm sure it’s the correct thing to do but i can’t help that’s how i feel.

THAT BEING SAID: A) it’s a totally different ball game from Potter, who i felt genuinely didn’t know his best 11! and B) (most importantly) i'm keeping the faith for now as i suspect it may majorly benefit us later on in the season. if we could have a strong run-in while other teams like villa falter from major injury issues then it could prove massive, and prove de zerbi very much vindicated

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Don’t like it, it shows simply in the fact we haven’t kept a clean sheet all season. But who gives a shit what I think. RDZ knows much better than me.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
I appreciate it, and if he did not do it think we would not be able to keep the squad so together. I realise a solid 11 is more traditional, but think moving to 5 subs has changed the game more than most realize.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I go back and forth on it. I don't know how much is being stuck in tradition, but it's always been argued as a good thing - players form partnerships and get on the same wave lenght, constantly changing impacts on this. It's also harder to develop and improve players when they get dropped every other game.

We are doing well in the europa league, but since He started to really go to town with the swapping of players, we've had a dip in form. We have 18pts. We won 12 of them in the 5 games before we started playing in europe and De Zerbi started swapping out half the team every game. We've won 6 points in the 6 games since and albeit slowly, are slipping down the table. We win this weekend, the most we gain is one place because the top 5 are starting to pull away. I'm also starting to wonder if skipping games might be playing into some of these injuries, as players bodies go from being prepared to play every week to having bigger gaps between appearances.

But when I'm more positive/hopeful, I wonder if this is short-term pain for longer-term gain, as players need to get used to such schedules, multiple partnerships being developed at the same time over a longer stretch and more games, etc.

Last edited:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I think some of the changes, especially in defence/GK areas has been unnecessary, almost like he has been doing it to prevent injuries , but now ironically he has to do it because we have so many.

I think you need to keep changes to a minimum, albeit I understand the changes he makes - not the frequent GK changes mind. Largely because I think it hinders momentum and partnerships a starting 11 needs to build.

It may keep the squad fresher later on in the season, hopefully, we'll see.

Last edited:

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I suspect if the injuries weren't mounting up quite so fast, he wouldn't be making quite so many changes each week.
Also we have this odd combination of either very young, or old players, who he feels can't cope with 2 games a week.
If the aim is to prevent burn out over a potentially 50+ game season all well and good.
Maybe there will be slightly fewer changes each week as things settle down through the season.
Yep, agree with your take here and your optimism …

It really didn’t help losing Pervis and March so early on in the season and not having (particularly in Pervis’ LB position), ready back ups.

We don’t have a deep squad, a bit horizontally bloated yes, but not deep on PL readiness and experience. Unfortunately that brings its own set of challenges- how do you get these young (and new) players up to speed with De Zerbi ball without rotating them in? I know we have an excellent scouting and recruitment approach at the Club but however ‘right’ a player might be for us or however raw talent a youngster has, they still need to get up the level where they are good enough to compete for a starting place - or even older, experienced players coming in from other PL clubs, need time to grown into the DNA of RDZ.

I am fervently hoping now, given all these injuries we can finish top of our group and go straight to the 16 team knockout in March and save ourselves from the February knockout play offs with runners up of the Champions League groups if we finish in 2nd place. We are only one point behind Marseille and based on our match with AEK, it could come down to our home match with Marseille.

Dunk shouldn’t be out too long judging by RDZs comments and I think Pervis probably just came back a bit too soon so hopefully won’t be out long either - Moder‘s on the mend, Lamptey hopefully will be back soon - only March and Welbz are definitely nowhere near. We will also lose Mitoma in the Asia Cup as he does international for Japan throughout January - and of course we have the Africa Cup of Nations where we could lose several key players to international duty in January too - but our January PL fixtures are not too bad.

We are looking a bit raggedy but We Are Brighton and we will do enough to make the fans proud this season, I’m sure, provided we show heart and play the best with what we have.

Auckland seagull

Aug 26, 2016
It's a tough call. Sometimes I am worried when I see the starting line up, but then I am pleasantly surprised by how they jell together. Does anybody really know what our best starting eleven is? Do we even have one anymore? It seems that only Dunky, Gross and Mitoma are guaranteed starting places, if fit. It seems clear RDZ drills every player so they can step in and the jigsaw remains complete. However, as others have commented, I can't help but feel that continuity grows confidence and awareness. Hopefully it will pay dividends at the sharp end of the season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here