Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Day trip to Dungeness, Winchelsea and Rye

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
As for Winchelsea. If you're strolling around there then have a look to see if any of the cellar doors are open on some of the houses to have a look around. I think they may only open on certain days though. I haven't yet wandered down them myself.

Also, if you park the car in Monk's Walk, then go away from the church and over the main road, just a quick hop across one field brings you to the Beacon and the old Windmill. There you'll get stunning views of Brede Valley, with the added bonus of some Popular tress and vineyards in the near distance giving you the impression you're in Tuscany :lol: Might be a nice spot to watch the sunset from before you head home?

Edit: Just seen the weather forecast. Scrub that sunset suggestion :lolol:
https://www.winchelsea.com/cellar-tours/tours/

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
And as Jim would say....Here's what you could have won :wink:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Trip on the RH&DR is good fun

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Some fantastic recommendations here - enough for a week.Thanks everyone.
We'll be packing windproof jackets, binoculars and a SLR and I'll report back!
Have a lovely time. Hopefully you can post some pics back here from the SLR :thumbsup:

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I used to regularly visit the Queens Head in Icklesham wayyyy back in 1986-88, great to see it’s still getting good recommendations 37 years later.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Mrs Cottager and I are planning a day trip tomorrow to the above locations and hoping to take in the power station, Prospect Cottage, maybe Rye Harbour and Winchelsea. Where to go for lunch?
Any must-sees in Winchelsea or Rye?
Recommendations gratefully accepted.
Ta.
Can recommend going up St Mary’s Church Tower. Great views at the top. Queens Head at Icklesham for lunch also a favourite of mine.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I often go to Rye Harbour (West side). Drive as far as you can where there is a Big free car park. Then massive area to walk - coast, shingle and sand beach (low tide is fun) then back through the lakes.

Dungeness power station area is best avoided. Worst pub ever, there. The cottages are nice to drive past but I don't like gawping, The massive shinge beach there is fun, but not in the cold, wind and rain.

If you like pretty villages, Winchelsea is nice. We have eaten in the main pub there and my recollection was tolerable.

I also recommend a walk along the canal at Appledore. The white blossom will be out, and the grazing cows are mostly harmless. Don't eat at the pub there. It is monumentally shit, despite looking nice from the outside.

If you mooch in Rye itself (always worth a mooch there) try School House records for masses of vintage vinyl. Most of my 12" single collection was bought there. If the weather is shit then mooching in Rye and a brave walk down where I said in the harbour with full waterproofs and under fleece would be bracing. :thumbsup:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You could always go on a pilgrimage to Rod Hull's bungalow
If you go to the Queens Head Icklesham, his favourite pub where he was earlier that fateful night, you'll see some of his canes and hats, plus a cabinet with some of his stuff in it. Emu is not there.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I often go to Rye Harbour (West side). Drive as far as you can where there is a Big free car park. Then massive area to walk - coast, shingle and sand beach (low tide is fun) then back through the lakes.

Dungeness power station area is best avoided. Worst pub ever, there. The cottages are nice to drive past but I don't like gawping, The massive shinge beach there is fun, but not in the cold, wind and rain.

If you like pretty villages, Winchelsea is nice. We have eaten in the main pub there and my recollection was tolerable.

I also recommend a walk along the canal at Appledore. The white blossom will be out, and the grazing cows are mostly harmless. Don't eat at the pub there. It is monumentally shit, despite looking nice from the outside.

If you mooch in Rye itself (always worth a mooch there) try School House records for masses of vintage vinyl. Most of my 12" single collection was bought there. If the weather is shit then mooching in Rye and a brave walk down where I said in the harbour with full waterproofs and under fleece would be bracing. :thumbsup:
Tourist advice. That big free car park will be absolutely rammed during school holidays. It could even take nearly half hour to drive down through the carnage that is Harbour Road to get to it 🙄

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tourist advice. That big free car park will be absolutely rammed during school holidays. It could even take nearly half hour to drive down through the carnage that is Harbour Road to get to it 🙄
Can believe this - we went midweek and not in the school holidays and the car park was still just about full by the time we finished walking

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Can believe this - we went midweek and not in the school holidays and the car park was still just about full by the time we finished walking
When I walk that stretch I usually park the Dogs Hill Road end. Over Christmas I made the mistake of dropping in down Harbour Road end when on my way back home from walking the other side of the River. Big mistake! Took me nearly half hour in and out and at least three circuits of the car park waiting for a space to appear.
Madness I tell thee! o_O

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Have you seen the forecast for tomorrow?
I used to often fish down there, trees and bushes grow about 6' then turn 90 Degrees and grow horizontal... its like a horticultural compass, everything points NE.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I used to often fish down there, trees and bushes grow about 6' then turn 90 Degrees and grow horizontal... its like a horticultural compass, everything points NE.
I lived in Icklesham for 4 years and had a half share in an Antique shop in Rye. The winters are very cold there and windy. Actually I'm going back into Antiques and will be renting space in a new Antique shop in Rye.

I like Rye and the fresh fishmonger on the Bridge is easily the best in the area especially those robbing ones in Hastings

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here