Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Day trip to Dungeness, Winchelsea and Rye

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Mrs Cottager and I are planning a day trip tomorrow to the above locations and hoping to take in the power station, Prospect Cottage, maybe Rye Harbour and Winchelsea. Where to go for lunch?
Any must-sees in Winchelsea or Rye?
Recommendations gratefully accepted.
Ta.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Mrs Cottager and I are planning a day trip tomorrow to the above locations and hoping to take in the power station, Prospect Cottage, maybe Rye Harbour and Winchelsea. Where to go for lunch?
Ta.
Give the power station a miss, Rye Harbour and Winchelsea also.
walk round Rye then pop off to the Queens Head Icklesham for lunch

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Recently stayed overnight in Rye………did a lovely circular walk from the Nature Reserve and back past Rye Nook. Couple of hours stroll, free car park near the reserve and a great centre/caff on site. Had lunch at Hoof - very good.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Waterworks in Rye is one is the best pubs I've been to, great selection of local beers and ciders, only food is scotch eggs and pork pies. The Standard does very good food. Ypres and Glove Marsh good pubs too, and the Mermaid is very much one of a kind I would recommend a wander round Dunganess.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I can't recommend Dungeness highly enough, and there's an excellent fish shack to have a reasonably priced lunch
Have you seen the forecast for tomorrow?

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Ta.

This is worth it and another shout for the Waterworks.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I can't recommend Dungeness highly enough, and there's an excellent fish shack to have a reasonably priced lunch

fully agree, the snack shack is great...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Used too be a lovely cafe in Winchelsea when i was last there……mind that was 1986
Shut there's a very average pub and a small shop left, that's it

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Shut there's a very average pun and a small shop left, that's it
Nice old church building in the centre …quite liked to walk round it to stretch my legs ….the place was very much a grid system of small roads ….but like you said just do Rye…stayed there for part of my honeymoon so nice memories ..even if me and Mrs R are no longer together

DanR

Dec 26, 2020
Peasmarsh
Hey, id recommended fish and chips at the pilot, Dungeness. (Went there today btw) 😁

Walk around Rye, depends on what you're into but also recommend going to the rye visitor center where they have a fantastic model of the town with commentary. Church let you on to the roof for a good view.
I also agree with previous post on waterworks for a good beer!!

Winchelsea beach will be a bit drafty, but if it's a must head for 'Dogg's hill' and walk back towards rye on the sea front.

Edit
If you do go to Dungeness and if you have time maybe consider trying to visit the 'sound mirrors' a short way at Lade/greatstone.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you fancy a spot of birdwatching, you might want to pop along to Pett Pools while you're at it. You'll be in with a very good chance of seeing Marsh Harriers for starters, which always makes my day.

Also, high tide for Rye Harbour tomorrow is around 2.30pm I think. That means optimum time to likely see Harbour Seals having a rest up on the banks is from about 11am to midday(ish) in my experience. Coming from Dungerness direction, park in the little layby/driveway (free parking) immediately this side of the iron bridge over the river just before you hit Rye Salts. Then walk up onto the bank that overlooks the river and follow your nose down towards the sea. You'll almost certainly get some good seal spotting in there and a lovely little stroll to boot :thumbsup:

I wouldn't particularly advise going down Harbour Road and parking down by the Nature Reserve entrance by the Visitor Centre. It gets pretty busy down there and will likely be rammed, since it's school holidays.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Nice old church building in the centre …quite liked to walk round it to stretch my legs ….the place was very much a grid system of small roads ….but like you said just do Rye…stayed there for part of my honeymoon so nice memories ..even if me and Mrs R are no longer together
William Penn, a Quaker and the founder of Pennsylvania lived in Winchelsea hence the grid system and he designed it for most of American cities.

https://careers.snclavalin.com/blog...system-became-a-part-of-city-design-in-the-us

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As for Winchelsea. If you're strolling around there then have a look to see if any of the cellar doors are open on some of the houses to have a look around. I think they may only open on certain days though. I haven't yet wandered down them myself.

Also, if you park the car in Monk's Walk, then go away from the church and over the main road, just a quick hop across one field brings you to the Beacon and the old Windmill. There you'll get stunning views of Brede Valley, with the added bonus of some Popular tress and vineyards in the near distance giving you the impression you're in Tuscany :lol: Might be a nice spot to watch the sunset from before you head home?

Edit: Just seen the weather forecast. Scrub that sunset suggestion :lolol:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here