Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Day trip to Dungeness, Winchelsea and Rye

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Waterworks in Rye is one is the best pubs I've been to, great selection of local beers and ciders, only food is scotch eggs and pork pies. The Standard does very good food. Ypres and Glove Marsh good pubs too, and the Mermaid is very much one of a kind I would recommend a wander round Dunganess.
My son is the bar manager in the Mermaid

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tourist advice. That big free car park will be absolutely rammed during school holidays. It could even take nearly half hour to drive down through the carnage that is Harbour Road to get to it 🙄
I ain't never had no problem parking.

But as a local you will know best :thumbsup:

Venturing farther north, I had a lovely mooch in the rain in my waterproofs this afternoon here:

1681235697764.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Have you read any of the Detective Cupidi books by William Shaw? All set around Dungeness and the marshes. Which is rather pleasing.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Waterworks in Rye is one is the best pubs I've been to, great selection of local beers and ciders, only food is scotch eggs and pork pies. The Standard does very good food. Ypres and Glove Marsh good pubs too, and the Mermaid is very much one of a kind I would recommend a wander round Dunganess.
Have you read any of the Detective Cupidi books by William Shaw? All set around Dungeness and the marshes. Which is rather pleasing.
No but my daughter has. I'm more into non fictional reading if I'm honest.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I ain't never had no problem parking.

But as a local you will know best :thumbsup:

Venturing farther north, I had a lovely mooch in the rain in my waterproofs this afternoon here:

View attachment 159558
I've only ever been to Whitstable once. Cycled through it on an Audax. As an old friend would say...It was very Tah Te Tah! :lol:

Jul 7, 2003
If you are a fan of the Bidding Room on the BBC, Adie has his shop near the A259 between Rye and Brookland

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Rye is very pleasant, if you like Seafood then Webbe's is the place to go. I love oysters perhaps I am shellfish...

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Quick daytrip report as I'm now at my elderly mother's for medical reasons.

Left Brighton around 9.15, arrived at Dungeness 1hr 57mins later, via Brede - another part of Sussex I've never visited.

Wandered around the beach and had a look at Prospect Cottage (Derek Jarman's gaff) and had a gander at the nuclear power station from the top of the tsunami-proof (!) shingle Bank. We were quite hungry by out the then so checked out the recommended Snack Shack (closed until Saturday) and succumbed to fish and chips at the Pilot. Meh.

Because of time constraints we decided to miss Rye, but did sop to visit the Sound Mirrors (at the back of a caravan park) - thanks for the recommendation- and to inspect the flood defences at Camber which Mrs Cottager had a hand in, then onto Winchelsea that neither of us had visited before and I wanted to see for professional reasons as well. Looked at Spike Milligan's grave and the amazing stained glass in St Thomas's.

It started passing down 2 minutes after getting in the car and battled our way back on the A259.

Will deffo go back to do Rye and the pubs - probably take the bike on the train to make a day of it.

Huge thanks for your recommendations.

Attachments

• 20230411_140827.jpg
    20230411_140827.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 20230411_151441.jpg
    20230411_151441.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 29
  • 20230411_152001.jpg
    20230411_152001.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 28
  • 20230411_115410.jpg
    20230411_115410.jpg
    7.2 MB · Views: 32

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Rye is very pleasant, if you like Seafood then Webbe's is the place to go. I love oysters perhaps I am shellfish...
Nice family own that, I coached their son, he still plays for my friend's Sunday Team. Their other two restaurants are good as well, Webbe's in Hastings and the Wild Mushroom in Westfield. They do foraging days which are really good. Get to know your mushrooms!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here