Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Stockdale's distribution

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That must have been really hard for you to do. Well done.

Not really as I say it as I see it if a player does well I will say so even if he is not one of my favourites. An example of this is that I thought Crofts brought something to the midfield that we have been missing since LR wss moved to left back and has resulted in our indifferent form of late.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Not really as I say it as I see it if a player does well I will say so even if he is not one of my favourites. An example of this is that I thought Crofts brought something to the midfield that we have been missing since LR wss moved to left back and has resulted in our indifferent form of late.

I'll agree with you on that, I was disappointed to see Crofts on the team sheet but I thought he was excellent.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Reminds me of Wayne (I've got wonderful distribution) Henderson. Unfortunately he was no better than any other keeper but had a remarkable ability to give away goals from a wide variety of apparently unthreatening situations. On the other hand, Stockie is rapidly moving up the Albion best keepers league table.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I have never seen a keeper manage so many accurate horizontal kicks to the sidelines, as Stockdale.
He was especially good last night, especially when he hurt his hand in the warm up. It was a heart in mouth moment, but he managed to shake it off.

58% - 33% last game

Season 55% - 35.2%

exceeded narrowly by Martin (MK Dons), Button (Brentford) Carson (Derby)

worst is Pickford (PNE) 34.9% de Vries (Forest) 33.3% Lonergen (Fulham) 31.4%
mentioned

Konstantopoulos (Boro) 40% McGregor (Hull) 41.2%

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ha. Your bitterness toward any keeper that isn't Kuipers, has got embarrassing.

If I'm bitter, it's because our arrogant goalkeeper allows himself to be beaten far too often from narrow angles. The Ipswich goal is a classic example, Murphy is at a tight angle on his right foot, which narrows the angle even more but he's able to comfortably put it past Stockdale because of the position he's taken up. I'm not saying it's a Stockdale mistake, it clearly isn't - but the point stands that he was beaten from a narrow angle, again. Lookman's goal for Charlton is another example, and if you were to look at all the goals conceded this season you would see that a lot of them are pretty soft. Is that because he believes he's going to save everything without too much trouble? It wouldn't be the first example of a goalkeeper getting overly confident in his own ability.

I love Michel Kuipers, always have and will, and I've played a lot as a (very poor) goalkeeper so I do think a lot about that position. A lot of what I said about Kuszczak at the time is being echoed whenever he is mentioned now, and I'm sure that when Stockdale has gone people will start to more readily talk about how easily he was beaten at times. He's obviously a good goalkeeper, but he's no Michel Kuipers!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If I'm bitter, it's because our arrogant goalkeeper allows himself to be beaten far too often from narrow angles. The Ipswich goal is a classic example, Murphy is at a tight angle on his right foot, which narrows the angle even more but he's able to comfortably put it past Stockdale because of the position he's taken up. I'm not saying it's a Stockdale mistake, it clearly isn't - but the point stands that he was beaten from a narrow angle, again. Lookman's goal for Charlton is another example, and if you were to look at all the goals conceded this season you would see that a lot of them are pretty soft. Is that because he believes he's going to save everything without too much trouble? It wouldn't be the first example of a goalkeeper getting overly confident in his own ability.

I love Michel Kuipers, always have and will, and I've played a lot as a (very poor) goalkeeper so I do think a lot about that position. A lot of what I said about Kuszczak at the time is being echoed whenever he is mentioned now, and I'm sure that when Stockdale has gone people will start to more readily talk about how easily he was beaten at times. He's obviously a good goalkeeper, but he's no Michel Kuipers!

Arrogance is the one thing that cannot be said about Stockdale. Kuipers biggest fault was blaming his defence for his mistakes.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London

They're not even comparable. No question that Kuipers was a great player for the club but he was nowhere near as good as some on here would have you believe. Ben Roberts was significantly better than Kuipers but sadly suffered from injuries.

Stockdale is a different class to Kuipers. His shot stopping is at least as good, he's far more commanding of his area, much more of a team player (compare Stockdale hauling Dunk up after he made the mistake against Ipswich with Kuipers blaming defenders for his own mistakes) and his distribution is a million times better. He had to cover his near post for the Ipswich goal and in doing that had to leave a small gap at the far post, which Murphy just about hit with help from the post. Lookman hit it at ridiculous pace and Stockdale had no chance. The fact that you blame him shows how biased you are. No doubt you wouldn't blame Kuipers if he had conceded them.

The main issue I had with Kuipers was the ridiculous loyalty he got from some fans who wouldn't accept any other keeper, even Roberts got stick initially. It's all a bit sad that you still slate other keepers because of misplaced loyalty to Kuipers years after he left.

Also, the fact that you call Stockdale arrogant shows how ridiculous your view is. Kuipers was arrogant. Stockdale is probably the least arrogant player we have.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Arrogance is the one thing that cannot be said about Stockdale. Kuipers biggest fault was blaming his defence for his mistakes.

Nonsense. To suggest Stockdale ISN'T arrogant would be ignoring every comment he's ever made. I'm not criticising him, goalkeepers need to have a bit of arrogance about them and Stockdale clearly does, but I think his self confidence crosses into arrogance at times, and that leads to him doing things like trying to be clever when opposing strikers are bearing down on him (Leeds....) and giving players something to shoot at in the belief he'll save it anyway, which he doesn't as often as not. His positioning for the Ipswich goal isn't very good, by any standards, and I'm sure he'd agree with that when he sees it back. I'm not blaming him for the goal, to be clear, but he could have done better with it.

They're not even comparable. No question that Kuipers was a great player for the club but he was nowhere near as good as some on here would have you believe. Ben Roberts was significantly better than Kuipers but sadly suffered from injuries.

Stockdale is a different class to Kuipers. His shot stopping is at least as good, he's far more commanding of his area, much more of a team player (compare Stockdale hauling Dunk up after he made the mistake against Ipswich with Kuipers blaming defenders for his own mistakes) and his distribution is a million times better. He had to cover his near post for the Ipswich goal and in doing that had to leave a small gap at the far post, which Murphy just about hit with help from the post. Lookman hit it at ridiculous pace and Stockdale had no chance. The fact that you blame him shows how biased you are. No doubt you wouldn't blame Kuipers if he had conceded them.

The main issue I had with Kuipers was the ridiculous loyalty he got from some fans who wouldn't accept any other keeper, even Roberts got stick initially. It's all a bit sad that you still slate other keepers because of misplaced loyalty to Kuipers years after he left.

Also, the fact that you call Stockdale arrogant shows how ridiculous your view is. Kuipers was arrogant. Stockdale is probably the least arrogant player we have.

Again, I'm not blaming him for the goal. I've said that three times now, so I won't say it again but stop reading my post as blaming Stockdale. I'm not, it wasn't his fault, but he could have done better in my opinion. As for comparing him to Kuipers, I'm not getting into a discussion about who is better, because it's Stockdale all round and that's not really debatable. But time hasn't diminished how good Michel was for us, he would save games single handedly at times and it's no coincidance that when we were struggling in 2008/09, he wasn't in goal. When he returned to fitness and got back in the team, we climbed out of trouble. He was inspirational for us, making ridiculous saves and he won us countless points during his tenure so it shouldn't really surprise anyone that he remains popular and for me, he's the standard other Brighton goalkeepers will be measured against, because he's my first goalkeeping love.

Kuipers IN.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Nonsense. To suggest Stockdale ISN'T arrogant would be ignoring every comment he's ever made. I'm not criticising him, goalkeepers need to have a bit of arrogance about them and Stockdale clearly does, but I think his self confidence crosses into arrogance at times, and that leads to him doing things like trying to be clever when opposing strikers are bearing down on him (Leeds....) and giving players something to shoot at in the belief he'll save it anyway, which he doesn't as often as not. His positioning for the Ipswich goal isn't very good, by any standards, and I'm sure he'd agree with that when he sees it back. I'm not blaming him for the goal, to be clear, but he could have done better with it.

Again, I'm not blaming him for the goal. I've said that three times now, so I won't say it again but stop reading my post as blaming Stockdale. I'm not, it wasn't his fault, but he could have done better in my opinion. As for comparing him to Kuipers, I'm not getting into a discussion about who is better, because it's Stockdale all round and that's not really debatable. But time hasn't diminished how good Michel was for us, he would save games single handedly at times and it's no coincidance that when we were struggling in 2008/09, he wasn't in goal. When he returned to fitness and got back in the team, we climbed out of trouble. He was inspirational for us, making ridiculous saves and he won us countless points during his tenure so it shouldn't really surprise anyone that he remains popular and for me, he's the standard other Brighton goalkeepers will be measured against, because he's my first goalkeeping love.

Kuipers IN.

Yes, I'm arguing that you're wrong when you say he could have done better. He was left completely exposed. I don't understand why you feel the need to criticise him when he's been one of our best players this season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
The only problem I have with him is when dribbles around an on rushing striker as I feel that he will lose the ball sometime other than that he has been a great improvement this season.

Whilst freely admitting that Stockdale's game has improved in leaps and bounds, I still think that is one of his failings too. Once upon a time you would never see a goalkeeper try and play the ball out from the back in the way that many modern teams seem to do. Potentially it is an accident waiting to happen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes, I'm arguing that you're wrong when you say he could have done better. He was left completely exposed. I don't understand why you feel the need to criticise him when he's been one of our best players this season.

Agenda.

Looking for fault where there is none.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009

Agenda.

Looking for fault where there is none.

So you don't think that the angle was very tight and that he could have done better? I think your standards are very low, or your expectations are very low. Personally, I think if he'd been in a better position, it wouldn't have been impossible to have made the save, and that's my final word on the subject as I think I've made myself pretty clear - if you don't agree, that's no problem.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So you don't think that the angle was very tight and that he could have done better? I think your standards are very low, or your expectations are very low. Personally, I think if he'd been in a better position, it wouldn't have been impossible to have made the save, and that's my final word on the subject as I think I've made myself pretty clear - if you don't agree, that's no problem.

The standards I set for keepers are actually pretty high. Like yourself (and Finchley, I believe) I am also a keeper, and I look at EVERY goal conceded with the mindset of 'what else could the keeper have done?'

Because of your undying blind devotion to 'King Michel' you are utterly incapable of rational analysis of these incidents. If this latest chance was replayed twenty times, Stockdale wouldn't do anything different - and he'd be right not to. Murphy would probably only hit the narrow gap available to him on 4 or 5 goes. Its a great finish - credit where it is due.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
The standards I set for keepers are actually pretty high. Like yourself (and Finchley, I believe) I am also a keeper, and I look at EVERY goal conceded with the mindset of 'what else could the keeper have done?'

Because of your undying blind devotion to 'King Michel' you are utterly incapable of rational analysis of these incidents. If this latest chance was replayed twenty times, Stockdale wouldn't do anything different - and he'd be right not to. Murphy would probably only hit the narrow gap available to him on 4 or 5 goes. Its a great finish - credit where it is due.

Completely agree with this. And the shot had to hit the post to go in. If he'd covered the far post and got beaten at his near post, he would have been slated. I really don't understand what else Stockdale could have done (other than be Kuipers presumably).

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Completely agree with this. And the shot had to hit the post to go in. If he'd covered the far post and got beaten at his near post, he would have been slated. I really don't understand what else Stockdale could have done (other than be Kuipers presumably).

It not only hit the far post but the rebound hit Goldson. It might not have gone in at all if the rebound hadn't hit him.

People can have an opinion but when others differ or point out that something isn't how it appears, then it is nonsense? Ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here