Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] David Stockdale

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Because the last one wasn't as good?

I would say that is highly debatable.

true but keepers do not command big fees which i can never understand, as Brian Clough said a good keeper is worth 20+ points a season to a club.

Exactly.

Stockdale is a good keeper and I would certainly prefer him to Henderson, but like everyone he is prone to errors. The positive thing is that he is on par with Kuszczak, whereas the other names mentioned IMO aren't.

As Finchley Seagull said, I doubt whether £1m would secure his services in any case.

Anyone know his contract situation?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
At 28 Stockdale would be a tremendous signing for 1M. Fulham have been sending him out on loan for the last 7-8 years. I hope he can see the benefit of being first choice keeper at a progressive club rather than being messed around by a club on the slide.
Bring it on!
He finished last season as their number one, playing 21 games. So no, I wouldn't have thought that'd be a consideration for him.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is he £1m + spending better than Kuszczak, I am not sure he is. TK was not happy with OG style of play perhaps if we resigned him with a new keeper coach Niemi he would improve his weak point of distribution unless there is of course other happenings that we are unaware of.

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Because the last one wasn't as good?

Is Stockdale a million pounds better?

Let's not get cocky here because we're selling Ulloa. For us, £1m on a transfer is still a shitload of money.

You can get promoted from the Championship with a decent keeper, you don't need the best in the league. It's the other end of the pitch you need the extra quality to go up. If we've got an extra milion quid to spend I'd be spending it on the attack.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is Stockdale a million pounds better?

Let's not get cocky here because we're selling Ulloa. For us, £1m on a transfer is still a shitload of money.

You can get promoted from the Championship with a decent keeper, you don't need the best in the league. It's the other end of the pitch you need the extra quality to go up. If we've got an extra milion quid to spend I'd be spending it on the attack.

It's not about being cocky or otherwise. I just don't think TK was good enough second half of last season. We can do better.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Good keeper. Been in a few England squads and would be well worth the investment. Could easily cover for 3 years whilst we develop Walton who in turn could be out keeper for the next 10 years if he progresses as he is currently.

This is one of the big questions at present: just how good is Walton? If he's as good as the buzz suggests, he's not going to hang around for three years for an opportunity.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It's not about being cocky or otherwise. I just don't think TK was good enough second half of last season. We can do better.

Could this have been down to the keeper coaches? Perhaps Niemi, who was good himself is a better coach, and get him back to what he was when we signed him who knows.

Perhaps he has a problem as he was brilliant when Untied signed him but went down hill the same as for us.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

TK increasingly looked like a keeper from another era last year. His positional play was good, punching again good, and shot-stopping excellent. But he was slow, his distribution simply dire, and whenever he had the ball at his feet he'd exude panic in the defence and the support. Look at the goalkeepers at the World Cup, and it shows how much more there is to goalkeeping than shot-stopping, as the new phrase sweeper-keeper indicates.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps PIG is PNG ???

Stockdale was mentioned the other day on the Stephen Henderson thread by [MENTION=209]Gangsta[/MENTION] - maybe that's where the sun got the rumour from :jester:

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I also think TK lost his way a bit last season.
Either way, he's gone now. I would be surprised if we managed to lure Stockdale though.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Agree. There seems to be a lot of 'blind' love for TK around and we can do better.

Which goalkeeper in the Championship conceded less goals than him last season?

He may have not as been as good as in his first season, but there were still games were he won his points nearly on his own. We'll do well to replace him with somebody better, and certainly the realistic names that have been banded about like Henderson aren't

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Look at the goalkeepers at the World Cup, and it shows how much more there is to goalkeeping than shot-stopping, as the new phrase sweeper-keeper indicates.

Whoooah there! Don't start giving Ankers fresh ideas. Don't want him prancing round the center circle.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I do agree, I actually think he's massively overrated. At least 6 goals last year were his fault. but at the same time he wasn't bad enough to warrant us chucking a million quid at a replacement.

You have to look at the bigger picture. Kuszczak was looking more and more disinterested by the game at the tail end of last season. Stockdale is only 28 which is still relatively young and could be our number 1 for many years to come if we invested now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here