David Stockdale: "We're not in a relegation fight"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The club is just a big load of corporate, nonsensical ramblings now. It's so beyond belief what these players are saying I wouldn't be surprised if it is some kind of media spin forced upon them by the suits.

I agree. Players should focus on playing and the manager should be talking to to the press, except our problem is that our manager is hopeless, and when he opens his mouth, it just confirms this. In fairness to the players, they shouldn't be put in the position of having to stand by the manager...it's a disgrace really that there's no management control of what is a crisis situation. The worst response is denial though. On dear!

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
The club is just a big load of corporate, nonsensical ramblings now. It's so beyond belief what these players are saying I wouldn't be surprised if it is some kind of media spin forced upon them by the suits.

It has to be the case surely, it seems everyone who is attached to club at present just want to make statements to annoy the fans.

Every time one of them open their mouths, makes my season ticket renewal less likely.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Treating us like idiots, why not say we're in a relegation battle so we're going to get stuck in and give 110% ?
They may be thick, but even they're not thick enough to think it's possible to give 110% effort.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
They may be thick, but even they're not thick enough to think it's possible to give 110% effort.

Of course it is possible. Dunk gives 100% and the rest of the team make up the other 10 between them.

Don't know if anybody else has read the article on Hyppia? It alludes to Greg Halford being used as a 'plan B/C' for his long throws. It's as if the article is said in jest. Greg bloody Halford. What on earth did Poyet do so very wrong to make Tony structure the club in this way? We were signing good players, not great, but technically astute signings nonetheless. We bucked the trend and it was working. We now have the highest playing budget ever (another media spin surely?), with players like Greg Halford and Chris O'Grady on the books.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It is ironic that this should come from one of the biggest reasons for our poor results, a goalkeeper who cant save shots unless straight at him and then he drops them in front of an oncoming forward. Perhaps if he upped his game the other 10 players would and we would then get some positive results.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
The spin they are making these players do is unreal. Once upon a time they only had to play football. Mind you if they were playing football properly I guess we wouldn't be in this mess!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What price Wolves first shot on target being unstoppable as most shots at Stockdale have apparently been this season. Apart from Rotherham and Norwich he has been an underperformer all season and is one of the reasons we are in the bottom three. He stops virtually nothing.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
It has to be the case surely, it seems everyone who is attached to club at present just want to make statements to annoy the fans.

Every time one of them open their mouths, makes my season ticket renewal less likely.

That's exactly how I'm feeling right now.

Supporter since the 50's and apart from the Archer era I can't recall so much utter shite being spouted at all levels by people at the club.

Message to Bloom, Barber, Burke, Hyypia and the players: We are not stupid so stop with the bullshit.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Today's complete-and-utter-bollocks quote from the Amex comes from David Stockdale...

1. “We’re not in a relegation fight." - yes, yes we are.

2. "I firmly believe that. If we keep playing and getting in the positions we did on Friday, with the talent we’ve got we’ll come through it." - we were utter toilet on Friday. More of the same is an express journey to relegation central.

3. “Everyone goes through bad spells and hopefully our good spell will come from now till the end of the season." - a bad spell? A bad spell? Really?
I'll have something he on:smokin:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I suppose it depends on when you start to really look at the table as indicative of final positions. No one is relegated or promoted yet, and won't be for another four months.

Perhaps this is more a period of tension that could lead to war (relegation battle as the end of the season looms) or peace (safety of a nice cushion between us and the relegation zone) depending on how things go in the coming months.

If something clicks and we get a 'well, even losing teams get one eventually' win today, maybe follow it up with a draw or a lucky second win on boxing day, then we bring in some signings in January that bring in a fresh bit of positivity to build on the results, and continue a gradual improvement and end the season midtable - something I'm sure Stockdale is hoping happens - we will be safe from relegation a while before the season ends and surely that means we weren't really in a relegation fight after all, just a low period prior to resurgence?

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

My thoughts exactly. Press statements are only going to be given by players who 'say the right thing'.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I suppose it depends on when you start to really look at the table as indicative of final positions. No one is relegated or promoted yet, and won't be for another four months.

Perhaps this is more a period of tension that could lead to war (relegation battle as the end of the season looms) or peace (safety of a nice cushion between us and the relegation zone) depending on how things go in the coming months.

If something clicks and we get a 'well, even losing teams get one eventually' win today, maybe follow it up with a draw or a lucky second win on boxing day, then we bring in some signings in January that bring in a fresh bit of positivity to build on the results, and continue a gradual improvement and end the season midtable - something I'm sure Stockdale is hoping happens - we will be safe from relegation a while before the season ends and surely that means we weren't really in a relegation fight after all, just a low period prior to resurgence?

Nonsense. We are clearly in a relegation fight.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We're in a relegation fight and will be till the end of the season regardless of results because this management and squad has shown themselves capable of a run into the relegation places at any time.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
We're in a relegation fight and will be till the end of the season regardless of results because this management and squad has shown themselves capable of a run into the relegation places at any time.

When I reads the "Argus" yesterday, I could not believe that Kuszczak isn't starting for a Championship side. To me he's a far better keeper than Stockdale, why did Albion let him go?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
In the here and now, given that Brighton have picked up 1 win from 18 matches and are 4 points from safety, it is a foolhardy thing to say that the team is not in a relegation dogfight.

That said, I think the attitude should not be just about staying up. The moment a team convinces itself that all it is good for is surviving in the division, then invariably it will find itself struggling to do that to the season's end. Regardless of whether Hyypia remains or not, the attitude of the team should be that there is enough of the season left to do a lot more than just finish in 21st place after 46 matches.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports