Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David James declared bankrupt

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I particularly like this line in the article

Premier League sides Liverpool, Aston Villa, West Ham, Manchester City and Portsmouth.

Spot the odd one out.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
His plight can be summed up in 4 words: EX WIFE FROM HELL.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It was the £3million divorce that killed him, no wonder he played on into his 40s. It seems the former hairdresser and uber-Footballer's Wife was the driving force for much of his extravagant spending.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It was the £3million divorce that killed him, no wonder he played on into his 40s. It seems the former hairdresser and uber-Footballer's Wife was the driving force for much of his extravagant spending.

Oh do behave. If I had 6 million and someone took 3 I can safely say I would not be bankrupt right now.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I know a guy who had a brief brush with being a pro footballer, but it was enough for him to set himself up for life, and gave him the idea for the lucrative career he's carved out since.

Danny works as a financial advisor to footballers, to ensure that this doesn't happen to them. In just a very short time at Peterborough he saw what a MASSIVE need there was for it. You wouldn't believe the insane excesses that some footballers indulge in with the belief that the money will continue to roll in.

What's bizarre about David James, is that it didn't all come to a sudden end at 27 with a knee injury that ended it all overnight. No, he played on for longer than he could have ever expected.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I thought he was well known for being daft. :smile: But nevertheless as you say, with the money he's earned it's a bit of a concern.

Always thought he came across as a level headed type of character, certainly not someone who would get into financial difficulties, makes me wonder how I and others cope sometimes living of carers allowance etc.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
All I could see of this headline on Tapatalk was "David James Declare"...and for a worrying second I thought it was going to say "David James Declares Interest In Brighton Job".

Nice house. Shame the interior decor makes it look like a nursing home.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is this one of those things where he's not really that skint but has declared himself bankrupt in order to prevent the ex-wife making any more claims? A sort of tactical bankruptcy?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have it on good authority that during one of Pompey's many financial meltdowns, he was giving money to some of the academy and second string players to tide them over having no wages.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Is this one of those things where he's not really that skint but has declared himself bankrupt in order to prevent the ex-wife making any more claims? A sort of tactical bankruptcy?

That's what I was thinking too, but he would have to fiddle it so that he had no assets, or at least more liabilities than assets.

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me. 17m is a hell of a lot to lose.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That's what I was thinking too, but he would have to fiddle it so that he had no assets, or at least more liabilities than assets.

It all sounds a bit dodgy to me. 17m is a hell of a lot to lose.

Could he have signed assets over to someone else for this purpose?

Ravids

Jun 19, 2013
Fishersgate Maritime Village
Absolutely no sympathy for the guy at all, if he was only left with 3 million after his divorce and tax ect then that is still a huge amount of money which some people would not even be able to earn in an entire lifetime.

It does sound as if there is more to it then that, perhaps he gambled the load away or just has no idea how to save money, as well as shots.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Probably, but no idea who as the Revenue would find them surely? I think we need expert advice.

Edit: Unless he spent it all on home decor :sick:

Just throwing it out there, but what if he had a bulldog, say, with a degree in accountancy & a lifelong affection for the French Riviera- would that be a means of, shall we say "redistributing" one's liabilities?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here