Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Cotterill £1million ?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
We never approached Birmingham for Cotterill - just another Football Rumours type piece of rubbish. Townsend I'm sure is being chased by some EPL clubs

albionite

May 20, 2009
probably because it is of interest and as with Townsend you just disregard it as very unlikely to happen.but you can wish for it to be true.

Why is it of interest? Any young kid, palace goon or a BG baiter can write on that sight. By all means report it on the rumours thread as a bit of a laugh but don't say it's of interest.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Why is it of interest? Any young kid, palace goon or a BG baiter can write on that sight. By all means report it on the rumours thread as a bit of a laugh but don't say it's of interest.

It is if you consider that somebody obviously thinks it is possible or just a wind up. gives an insight into otherpeople views.howevere bizarre. Is it any worse than somebody suggesting a player because he has been succesful on their FIFA 2015 game. On Bens BHA are the top team in the world.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dont remember him playing against us or didnt see him stand out as exceptional. Perhaps somebody could enlighten me.

He did stand out by creating the Birmingham goal away last season. At a guess it could have been Donaldson that scored? Very much this goal was like a slowed down version of a chance Buckley created for Ulloa to head against the post against PL Hull in the FA Cup at the Amex. Cotterill is currently injured and seems a bargain acquisition by Birmingham.

My overall impression is because he is not very quick (by winger standards) my initial impression to sign him would be an inferior version of Colunga and Lopez and not what we should be aspiring to. I would think resigning Buckley would be a better bet and Birmingham might think so as well.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
He did stand out by creating the Birmingham goal away last season. At a guess it could have been Donaldson that scored? Very much this goal was like a slowed down version of a chance Buckley created for Ulloa to head against the post against PL Hull in the FA Cup at the Amex. Cotterill is currently injured and seems a bargain acquisition by Birmingham.

My overall impression is because he is not very quick (by winger standards) my initial impression to sign him would be an inferior version of Colunga and Lopez and not what we should be aspiring to. I would think resigning Buckley would be a better bet and Birmingham might think so as well.

BUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEYBUCKLEY:moo:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Dreadful signing for either of them.

Buckley as a loan player just doesn't work. He needs months and months to get up and running then he is just about worth it. A short term loan is pointless.

I tend to agree. I would tend to think he would need expert coaching to get the best out of him. Just tearing down the wing is only good for counter attacking football. Not our strong point at the moment but rather limited if the ball does not get to the winger in the first place. Buckley touched the ball a mere six times for Leeds against the Albion in 30 minutes, which means it is like having ten men on the pitch. He still got Bruno and Bong booked in two out of the six touches so he was still regarded as dangerous as the full backs can't catch him up.

cf. Hemed had 22 touches against Ipswich (H). Away at Brentford running the lone furrow up front Hemed had 25 touches. At least this sort of involvement is necessary and then if he gets injured 30% of the time, that makes rather poor value for money. On wages alone it works out at about £300 a touch (on his performance for Leeds). (And its not Leed's other players fault either and Antenucci had 20 or so touches in the same amount of time.)

I still think one manager may get more out of him. And I don't think Poyet and Hyypia were the best at getting the best out of players.

But the full backs greatest fear is sheer pace. Something that Cotterill, Lopez and Colunga all lacked. If a winger can't beat the full back two out of three times, finding enough space for cross, winning a corner, cutting inside and shooting, he is hardly worth having on the pitch?

NB: Manu touched the ball 4 times in 25 minutes for the Albion at Brentford. That was even worse than Buckley for Leeds.

Jamie Murphy had 48 touches in the same game. Much more. I think Buckley and Manu are both much quicker than Murphy but unless they get invoved in the game, they are only good enough for a susprise substitute at best. Then they have to be on at 66 minutes as they will not get enough touches to even get up to speed of the game.

Still if the rest of team are floundering to create chances, it is always tempting to put a speed merchant on to try and cause panic.

NB: Lualua had 40 touches against Forest including his goal. But Lualua tracks back sometimes, doing the job for the defence. Arguably, Lualua might be better concentrating on attack and leave the defending to the defenders when we are chasing the game. But Lualua does get involved. Didn't always though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here