Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke "Oscar will flag a player he wants, and provided we have budget available..."

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We get to the business end of the season and Ince is dropped to the bench.

Ince has been recovering from a long term injury which explains his few appearances in last 8-9 games. Given continued appearances of March, Dunk and JFC who all featured against Yeovil I'd argue Oscar is continuing to rely on young players where it makes sense. March has recently been offered and signed a long term contract, not necessarily a sign that he won't be sold, but there's been far more of a focus on u21 players in our squad/team this year than in 11/12, 12,13. Around 100 appearances in total compared to a handful in the previous 2 years.

Dec 29, 2011
I am sure that, if Oscar chose to indicate that he was a particular admirer of a certain player, and would dearly like him at the AMEX, that the wheels would be set in motion at least to enquire about said player. I would imagine Oscar would even be asked if there was anybody who had caught his eye.

I'm sure that's the case too. However, OP's quote is very misleading. When I first read it I thought all the players we've targeted (Andrews, Obika, Stephens, Grabban) were flagged by Oscar, and Burke has set out to get them. Looking at the start of the quote makes me think this isn't the case, and Oscar has merely 'flagged' them from a list presented to him. Picking the best from a bad lot, if you will.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I'm sure that's the case too. However, OP's quote is very misleading. When I first read it I thought all the players we've targeted (Andrews, Obika, Stephens, Grabban) were flagged by Oscar, and Burke has set out to get them. Looking at the start of the quote makes me think this isn't the case, and Oscar has merely 'flagged' them from a list presented to him. Picking the best from a bad lot, if you will.

Agreed it is not clear. The OP does seem to indicate Oscar creates the list and then other people work on it, but I presume it is the other way round, with Oscar having the possibility of highlighting anyone he is particularly interested in.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
You have to admire the Seagull's philosophy though it's the same as Southampton.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Sorry - a lot of what you post is very interesting reading. however this statement is twaddle.

Bridcutt - was always going to leave and the fact that he had some length on his contract meant we got a decent fee. He was always going to leave and there was nothing that could or should have been done to stop him.

Barnes - Is he a premier league player? we shall see. However why give a player a huge pay rise when it is clear he wanted to leave and would not have signed a contract extension - and if he had we would have paid an exorbitant amount of money to keep from January until May. No point.

Conway - who knows what the wage demands were but everyone can take one look at Blackburns finances to know that they will pay huge salaries in this league. Doesn't matter that they are bankrupt in almost every sense of the word and read the message forums on Blackburn where many fans feel that they are in real danger of imploding financially.

Sorry - I can see sense in every single one of the decisions - its bitterly disappointing not to get the players we want and lose the ones that we would like to keep.

But from Spurs to Crewe, from Arsenal to Plymouth most clubs are in fact selling clubs as maximising returns on major assets is probably the only real way that businesses will be able to financially support themselves.

If thats not palatable fair enough.

To suggest that the club should change their approach and salary cap structure is frankly ludicrous.

Agree with everything and probably the most sense I have heard on NSC in a long while except for the only way for businesses to financially support themselves bit. Lowering player wages is the only and best way!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Agree with everything and probably the most sense I have heard on NSC in a long while except for the only way for businesses to financially support themselves bit. Lowering player wages is the only and best way!

Don't you have to disagree with him being sorry, if you agree with him?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This quote is very out of context. The way you've posted it, it sounds like Oscar tells Burke who he wants, and Burke goes out to try and get that man.
If you look at the first part of the sentence this doesn't appear to be the case:

"We have a brief from Oscar and produce a list of players who are available...Oscar will flag a player he wants, and provided we have the budget available, I will then make contact with the club to enquire."

Oscar's brief could be, "I want a striker" and then Burke compiles a list such as "Obika, Keane, Perica, Rodriguez" and Oscar picks [flags] the player he wants from that list. Hardly the same thing.

I was there last night and this is exactly correct (how I read it anyway). All 3 spoke well as always and it's so clear Bloom knows what he's doing and employs very intelligent people. Oscar joined us as pre season started and we be done extremely well to finish where we have considering... I'm looking forward to this Sunmers recruitment now Oscar knows the leagues a bit better and has a full summer ahead!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I think Burke is passing the buck with that comment. Surely he's the man responsible for signing Agustein, Obika, Andrews etc? Equally he's the guy who couldn't keep hold of Bridcutt, Barnes & Conway and failed to replace any of them sufficiently?

Sorry - a lot of what you post is very interesting reading. however this statement is twaddle.

Bridcutt - was always going to leave and the fact that he had some length on his contract meant we got a decent fee. He was always going to leave and there was nothing that could or should have been done to stop him.

Barnes - Is he a premier league player? we shall see. However why give a player a huge pay rise when it is clear he wanted to leave and would not have signed a contract extension - and if he had we would have paid an exorbitant amount of money to keep from January until May. No point.

Conway - who knows what the wage demands were but everyone can take one look at Blackburns finances to know that they will pay huge salaries in this league. Doesn't matter that they are bankrupt in almost every sense of the word and read the message forums on Blackburn where many fans feel that they are in real danger of imploding financially.

Sorry - I can see sense in every single one of the decisions - its bitterly disappointing not to get the players we want and lose the ones that we would like to keep.

But from Spurs to Crewe, from Arsenal to Plymouth most clubs are in fact selling clubs as maximising returns on major assets is probably the only real way that businesses will be able to financially support themselves.

If thats not palatable fair enough.

To suggest that the club should change their approach and salary cap structure is frankly ludicrous.

Have to agree with most of this. Mustafa posts a lot of rubbish and has picked out two players that haven't contributed. Andrews has had good and bad games but I would say on the whole has had a positive rather than negative contribution. The other point to make is that if you are going to pick out some that didn't work (happens at every single club) then perhaps Mustafa should do the courtesy of giving credit where credit is due. Good players we have had during his tenure since Feb 2012, Bridge, Ulloa, Stephens, Ward, Bruno, Ince, kuszczak, Upson and probably a few more such as Monkana who seems to be getting some good reviews in the DS squad although may have suspect attitude.

This quote is very out of context. The way you've posted it, it sounds like Oscar tells Burke who he wants, and Burke goes out to try and get that man.
If you look at the first part of the sentence this doesn't appear to be the case:

"We have a brief from Oscar and produce a list of players who are available...Oscar will flag a player he wants, and provided we have the budget available, I will then make contact with the club to enquire."

Oscar's brief could be, "I want a striker" and then Burke compiles a list such as "Obika, Keane, Perica, Rodriguez" and Oscar picks [flags] the player he wants from that list. Hardly the same thing.

With due respect you state one sentence is out of context (fair enough) but then speculate as to what a brief from Oscar may be. I don't know but would imagine it is far more detailed than just saying I want a striker! At the end of the day, the coach can only pick from those players that are a)available and b) affordable. He could put on his brief that he want's Messi but we all know he ain't coming!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here