Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

David Burke, is the fat lady clearing her throat?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Great players according to Burke that is and his track record is sometimes lacking. Maybe you know who they eere or are just summising on the back of a whisper heard which was not necessarily true

They aren't my words as to how good they are as it's completely subjective. Ask [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], I'm sure it was him who mentioned this.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
All the while refusing to 'blame' the only person who is responsible for their perceived incompetence, that being Mr Tony Bloom.

You mean 'Mr Untouchable'.

No matter what happens there are people on here that will blame anyone and everyone and never have a bad word said about him.

Being completely subjective though, you are right. Should we keep losing managers and not buy in quality players year after year then something has to be wrong that cannot only be passed off onto DB or PB...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

No matter what happens there are people on here that will blame anyone and everyone and never have a bad word said about him.

Being completely subjective though, you are right. Should we keep losing managers and not buy in quality players year after year then something has to be wrong that cannot only be passed off onto DB or PB...
I can see this going in an infamous 'NSC misquote' direction, so I'll nail my colours to the mast here.

To me Tony Bloom is untouchable.
But then again I'm not bemoaning money, ambition, player recruitment, executive personal etc.

I don't see how people can seriously lose their pooh over David Burke and never mention Tony Bloom.
Tony pays the man.
Tony set out his job.
Tony evaluates his performance.

All the time David Burke is happily employed by Tony Bloom, an attack on Burke is an attack on Bloom.

It's just so cowardly that people aren't prepared to actual own that.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Blame him for what though? Trying to run the club properly and within it's means.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sami doesn't stay here that long, it's the risk you take if you keep employing big name ex-players who are ambitious. If they get offered a bigger job they're going to take it.

I honestly believe that fan's expectations are simply too high. We either need a manager to pull a rabbit out of the hat and get us promoted on a mid-table budget or Tony needs to spunk a sh1tload of cash on players, and even then we might not do any better.

The long term plan is of course they academy and to start producing our own players. That could take 5-10 years to see decent results. I think people just need to be patient and try to enjoy the football for what it is - a 2nd tier club in a good league with an amazing stadium.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
Blame him for what though? Trying to run the club properly and within it's means.

I wouldn't be surprised if Sami doesn't stay here that long, it's the risk you take if you keep employing big name ex-players who are ambitious. If they get offered a bigger job they're going to take it.

I honestly believe that fan's expectations are simply too high. We either need a manager to pull a rabbit out of the hat and get us promoted on a mid-table budget or Tony needs to spunk a sh1tload of cash on players, and even then we might not do any better.

The long term plan is of course they academy and to start producing our own players. That could take 5-10 years to see decent results. I think people just need to be patient and try to enjoy the football for what it is - a 2nd tier club in a good league with an amazing stadium.

I agree with most of that but...

The club charging Prem prices for everything and talking about 'PLR is going to make fans ambitious and think that we are 'going for it'.

By appointing high profile ex players as managers this also gives out the impression that we are trying to be ambitious. Surely we should have appointed someone like Kenny Jackett to steady the ship, bring the youngsters through and have him here for the next 5-10 years?

I just don't see how chopping and changing all the time is helping us

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I can see this going in an infamous 'NSC misquote' direction, so I'll nail my colours to the mast here.

To me Tony Bloom is untouchable.
But then again I'm not bemoaning money, ambition, player recruitment, executive personal etc.

I don't see how people can seriously lose their pooh over David Burke and never mention Tony Bloom.
Tony pays the man.
Tony set out his job.
Tony evaluates his performance.

All the time David Burke is happily employed by Tony Bloom, an attack on Burke is an attack on Bloom.

It's just so cowardly that people aren't prepared to actual own that.

Sorry I did misunderstand your quote earlier!

I have no problem in admitting that by saying DB/his team are not doing a good job is, in fact, me saying TB has made a mistake.

That does not mean that I am not pro Bloom but it is possible for a successful businessman to make a mistake! The problem is that there are some on here that think saying that is akin to being a traitor or committing some sort of hideous crime!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Sorry I did misunderstand your quote earlier!

I have no problem in admitting that by saying DB/his team are not doing a good job is, in fact, me saying TB has made a mistake.

That does not mean that I am not pro Bloom but it is possible for a successful businessman to make a mistake! The problem is that there are some on here that think saying that is akin to being a traitor or committing some sort of hideous crime!!
and so the circle begins again.

How do you know David Burke and his team are not doing a good job?

You, me, everybody ... have no idea what constraints DB is working under.
For all we know it is equally likely David Burke is doing a fantastic job working within Tony's remit.

I don't know, so therefore I am unable to scapegoat anybody.

I can be fairly certain on 02.09 DB will not be plonking a big bag of cash on Tony's table and say 'hey boss look at how much money I've not spent'.

As and when the club do not match the financial outlay (of all people with a vested interest) with realistic expectations then they'll be a problem.
But that problem will be the making of the organ grinder not one of his monkeys.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Tony Bloom saved this football club and we will be forever in his debt for that. That doesn't mean he can't make bad decisions, as well as good one's. We are two days away from the start of the season and the squad is at best, thread bare. We are getting desperate for players, agents and clubs alike will know this. This will not make our task in negotiations any easier, quite the opposite I suspect.....Someone has screwed up big time and someone has to carry the can. If this goes to the last day of the transfer window, we will be 5 games into a season, with who knows how many points. Between 7-10 and everyone will be quite content I suspect. But it won't take long for the boo's to start ringing around the Amex, if we have a bad start, which I fear we might in the current climate. No left back, only two average strikers(who have experience in this league), no cover out wide for two injury prone players and no real creative quality in the centre....oh not to mention an ageing defence and no Asst Manager....It's not looking good, someone is to blame and it's not the people who Barber keeps telling to spend, spend, spend,,,,while the club spend next to nothing on the squad in return.......And if we do end up with a scatter gun appraoch on deadline day, we might just end up with a load of crap that no one else wants, just to fill the squad.......Good knows what team will play in the League Cup game, the dev squad I suppose,,,,under 5,000 for that one anyone???...alarms bells are ringing and if there not, then they bloody well should be.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
TB didn't save the club, that accolade belongs to DK and always will. But he did allow us to dream big again. That dream very much still a possibility if not an eventuality!

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Tony Bloom saved this football club and we will be forever in his debt for that. That doesn't mean he can't make bad decisions, as well as good one's. We are two days away from the start of the season and the squad is at best, thread bare. We are getting desperate for players, agents and clubs alike will know this. This will not make our task in negotiations any easier, quite the opposite I suspect.....Someone has screwed up big time and someone has to carry the can. If this goes to the last day of the transfer window, we will be 5 games into a season, with who knows how many points. Between 7-10 and everyone will be quite content I suspect. But it won't take long for the boo's to start ringing around the Amex, if we have a bad start, which I fear we might in the current climate. No left back, only two average strikers(who have experience in this league), no cover out wide for two injury prone players and no real creative quality in the centre....oh not to mention an ageing defence and no Asst Manager....It's not looking good, someone is to blame and it's not the people who Barber keeps telling to spend, spend, spend,,,,while the club spend next to nothing on the squad in return.......And if we do end up with a scatter gun appraoch on deadline day, we might just end up with a load of crap that no one else wants, just to fill the squad.......Good knows what team will play in the League Cup game, the dev squad I suppose,,,,under 5,000 for that one anyone???...alarms bells are ringing and if there not, then they bloody well should be.

It is what it is, deal with it. Dripping like a tap isn't going to fix it.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is what it is, deal with it. Dripping like a tap isn't going to fix it.
If you take out all the speculation, innuendo, doom, gloom, misery, and down right lies, all you're left with is an understanding of the calendar.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There were many others before TB who stepped in when needed when Falmer was a fading dream. 2006 that is still about 5 years before we moved into The Amex
He waited until we had planning permission to take over but put money in before that.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
and so the circle begins again.

How do you know David Burke and his team are not doing a good job?

You, me, everybody ... have no idea what constraints DB is working under.
For all we know it is equally likely David Burke is doing a fantastic job working within Tony's remit.

I don't know, so therefore I am unable to scapegoat anybody.

I can be fairly certain on 02.09 DB will not be plonking a big bag of cash on Tony's table and say 'hey boss look at how much money I've not spent'.

As and when the club do not match the financial outlay (of all people with a vested interest) with realistic expectations then they'll be a problem.
But that problem will be the making of the organ grinder not one of his monkeys.

The reason I blame DB and his team is simple:

He is responsible for the scouting and recruitment team, their remit is to have a 'list' of players that fit a certain profile. We have been told by Gus, PB, DB and others that if we get an injury etc. we can go to this magical list and make moves for that player.

It only makes sense if the players on that list were checked out to be 1. Available, 2. Affordable and 3. Willing to consider moving to another club from their current club.

Having made the decision to release so many players at the end of last season, DB and his team should have been on the phone getting the desired players in. That they have failed is, IMO, down to bad planning, scouting or background information as we have lost out time and again.

Even TB said he had hoped we would have had signed more than we have, read into that what you will.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
He waited until we had planning permission to take over but put money in before that.

As I said with out the likes of Bill Brown Robbie Rugerrio (sp) Fat Boy etc we would not have survivied. Nobody is taking away what DK and MP did in getting planning permission but it is wrong to say DK saved the club and infer that he did it single handed in the way TB has.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The reason I blame DB and his team is simple:

He is responsible for the scouting and recruitment team, their remit is to have a 'list' of players that fit a certain profile. We have been told by Gus, PB, DB and others that if we get an injury etc. we can go to this magical list and make moves for that player.

It only makes sense if the players on that list were checked out to be 1. Available, 2. Affordable and 3. Willing to consider moving to another club from their current club.

Having made the decision to release so many players at the end of last season, DB and his team should have been on the phone getting the desired players in. That they have failed is, IMO, down to bad planning, scouting or background information as we have lost out time and again.

Even TB said he had hoped we would have had signed more than we have, read into that what you will.

Tony Bloom wasn't happy with our previous director of football, John Stephenson. He lasted 6 months. He also sacked Ken Brown. Tony hasn't sacked David Burke, who is also responsible for attaining the Academy status for our new training ground. Therefore it follows that TB must be happy with Burke.

Player movements usually speed up when the Prem clubs announce their 25 man squads.

Feb 14, 2010
I have not followed what Burke has or has not done wrong (or right). The only thing I observe is that the manager does not seem to spend the transfer kitty which means we cant blame the manager when it goes wrong or praise him when it goes right. I can see why you need people checking what the manager is up to with the money in transfers and also see the advantage of someone in the background with a long term view. But whatever the theory behind it all, we have not won promotion when Burnley and palace have and they were clubs with less than half the people going through the turnstiles to watch them compared to us.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have not followed what Burke has or has not done wrong (or right). The only thing I observe is that the manager does not seem to spend the transfer kitty which means we cant blame the manager when it goes wrong or praise him when it goes right. I can see why you need people checking what the manager is up to with the money in transfers and also see the advantage of someone in the background with a long term view. But whatever the theory behind it all, we have not won promotion when Burnley and palace have and they were clubs with less than half the people going through the turnstiles to watch them compared to us.

Attendances are deceptive. Paul Barber said that high gates, sales & catering combined do not match one parachute payment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here