• OUT

Votes: 214 85.6%
  • FENCE

Votes: 22 8.8%

• Total voters

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
In - But listen to what the new manager wants. Burke still has a massive role to play in youth development and recruitment, even if the new man wants to take more responsibility on the recruitment front.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Interesting that in Sami Hyypia's departure he thanks the fans, Bloom, Barber, the players, the staff but no mention of Burke. That's where the problem is. Burke out.

I think Burke should go but don't see why managers would necessarily thank anyone by name beyond chairman and CEO/COO/assistant manager/coach. I don't read much into that but am surprised that Hyypia and Garcia both went out of their way to thank Barber; I wish he'd pack his bags and go but clearly he's supported the managers in the past. Just needs to think about the supporters once in a while, less about himself, and he'll be there.

I'm not actually convinced that the summer recruitment problems all lie with Burke anyway, limitations placed on him may be the reason. However, signings such as Kemy where it wouldn't take a lot to realise that he wan't the most motivated or the most team player of them all despite all the stuff about checking players personalities etc is reason enough on top of baldock (why??????) and O'Grady (more in hope?)

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
There is the thought that if we had got rid of Burke earlier then we would not have changed managers. If we don't address this issue, then we could appoint a new man now and be looking again for another manager in the Summer.

Hyypia could not manage the players he had. Why do you think he could have managed better players any better ?

Burke needs to direct his efforts to the players the manager wants, and that suit the long term aspirations of the club.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
In - But listen to what the new manager wants. Burke still has a massive role to play in youth development and recruitment, even if the new man wants to take more responsibility on the recruitment front.

I agree about him being responsible for youth development as this has been his career path, but he has been a complete failure when looking at our current first team. How can you have a team going onto the pitch with 45% of your team not your own but loans. What has he been doing for the last 12 months to arrive at a situation, whereby you have to leave a loan first team player out every game. It is ridiculous waste of wages to have more loan players than you are allowed to play? That in my opinion is incompetence.

scousefan

Apr 26, 2009
Liverpool
Wow - the voting in this is more clear cut than it was on Sami. Has to go since he must be held responsible for us starting the season without a team.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Hyypia could not manage the players he had. Why do you think he could have managed better players any better ?

Burke needs to direct his efforts to the players the manager wants, and that suit the long term aspirations of the club.

Forget Hyypia, are you trying to tell me that Burke supplied Oscar with the types of player he wanted or needed? Augustein, Lita, Obika, Monakana and Rodriguez for example. Burke supplied one player in my mind to Oscar who was of benefit to him and that was Ward.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'd wait and see if the new manager can get anything out of the summer signings. If they perform for the new man, then Burke is off the hook.

The transfer window opens in a week, it is the wrong time to sack Burke anyway.

I'd assess his position after the transfer and loan windows shut.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I'd wait and see if the new manager can get anything out of the summer signings. If they perform for the new man, then Burke is off the hook.

The transfer window opens in a week, it is the wrong time to sack Burke anyway.

I'd assess his position after the transfer and loan windows shut.

I understand about the timing and it worries me that our Championship future could rely on signings chosen by Burke, because frankly his track record is abysmal.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
A new manager is only going to come in at this stage of the season if he has some autonomy over the January window (assuming a budget will be available). If we get a manager who is familiar with the recruitment process then the loss of Burke at this stage won't leave too large a vacuum (he said, without the first idea of whether this is likely to be true).

We then have some time to get a new DoF in, if that's what TB wants, to get us some more resources in the summer.

For what it's worth... Barber in. None of this can be lain at his feet and I think he's doing an outstanding job within my understanding of what his role is.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Forget Hyypia, are you trying to tell me that Burke supplied Oscar with the types of player he wanted or needed? Augustein, Lita, Obika, Monakana and Rodriguez for example. Burke supplied one player in my mind to Oscar who was of benefit to him and that was Ward.

I don't know what the budgets were. The damning one in that list is Agustein. It seems to be well known he is a lazy arse. I have no idea what the database said about him.

• Lita - worth a punt.
  • Obita - NJ's recommendation (I assume)
  • Monakana - development squad punt.
  • Rodriguez - was one that Oscar wanted (99th choice mind)

He may be shite at his job. I have no idea. I have my doubts. But not enough for me to say he should lose his job - let alone to lead a crusade. Other people must know more than me.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Its funny how I was flayed alive ( some time ago ) by a number of posters on here, when I tried to indicate how low DB's standing was in football circles.
Apparently my source clearly had an axe to grind and it was refreshing that we had a DoF who stood up to agents and their demands. Never mind that my contact has worked in football for 25 years, in Europe and across the top two divisions here. Some of you considered that it was a vindictive post, contained no facts, just heresay and counted for nothing.
Well how attitudes have changed! Now the majority want him out.
All I was trying to do was suggest that we had a man in charge of recruitment that lacked the expertise and management skillsets to help move us in an upward direction. I was trying to indicate that a number of contacts in football wouldn't work with the man because of his attitude. I was told that the biggest problem we had at BHA was DB. Thats all.
( ...and while we are looking at club officials, it might be worth examining the credentials of our relatively new Head of Overseas Recruitment....just another one to throw into the mix )

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
I don't know what the budgets were. The damning one in that list is Agustein. It seems to be well known he is a lazy arse. I have no idea what the database said about him.

• Lita - worth a punt.
  • Obita - NJ's recommendation (I assume)
  • Monakana - development squad punt.
  • Rodriguez - was one that Oscar wanted (99th choice mind)

He may be shite at his job. I have no idea. I have my doubts. But not enough for me to say he should lose his job - let alone to lead a crusade. Other people must know more than me.

Well it is a results business and a lot of people have said Hyypia had not done enough to keep his job. (you included as above) So who exactly is Burkes outstanding signing (his results measure) out of the 25 he has made since he had complete control when Poyet went. I would be interested to know and please don't say Ulloa, because that deal was set up prior to Burke joining the club.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I am one of Burke's biggest critics and I really think he is out of his depth in this job, but if you look at his previous career and he has good knowledge of setting up academies and working with youth. So let him work in these areas and let the knew manager be in charge of recruitment with scouts reporting to the manager and assistant manager.

I think that is a fair summary. I've heard he has done great things on the acadamy side, setting up of the new training facility etc, but clearly can't spot a player. So move him across (on less money) and get a manager who is happy to pick his players. Most experienced managers will want to do this.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Well it is a results business and a lot of people have said Hyypia had not done enough to keep his job. (you included as above) So who exactly is Burkes outstanding signing (his results measure) out of the 25 he has made since he had complete control when Poyet went. I would be interested to know and please don't say Ulloa, because that deal was set up prior to Burke joining the club.

You make a good point. I am not saying he is great. I have doubts about his ability for sure. However - is Stephens a Burke signing ? Ward. Joe Bennett among the load signings. It may be Colunga, or Baldock - until they have a manager who can put out a team to make the most of them it is difficult to judge.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Its funny how I was flayed alive ( some time ago ) by a number of posters on here, when I tried to indicate how low DB's standing was in football circles.
Apparently my source clearly had an axe to grind and it was refreshing that we had a DoF who stood up to agents and their demands. Never mind that my contact has worked in football for 25 years, in Europe and across the top two divisions here. Some of you considered that it was a vindictive post, contained no facts, just heresay and counted for nothing.
Well how attitudes have changed! Now the majority want him out.
All I was trying to do was suggest that we had a man in charge of recruitment that lacked the expertise and management skillsets to help move us in an upward direction. I was trying to indicate that a number of contacts in football wouldn't work with the man because of his attitude. I was told that the biggest problem we had at BHA was DB. Thats all.
( ...and while we are looking at club officials, it might be worth examining the credentials of our relatively new Head of Overseas Recruitment....just another one to throw into the mix )
No idea who this overseas recruitment guy is.

Are his credentials good or bad ? ???

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Out, and the responsibility must be more heavily weighted back onto the manager to spend the budget as he sees fit. For me, the role of a "Director of Football" is warranted, but it's about overseeing the legal, tax, and administration complexities of modern transfers and contracts. I want the Manager being told the transfer budget, and playing budget he has, then deciding where he wants to spend it.

Transfers and contracts must be rubber stamped by the Board, and can be vetoed, of course, but the manager MUST be the driving force in selecting players, and not just someone who can put in a list of names, and then waits to see what he gets.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here