Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] David Brent: Life on the Road

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Myself and my mates are all big The Office fans but we are all rather wary of the potential for this film to be bad.

The Office is up there as my favourite ever comedy. I still remember tuning in for the first episode and and spending the first few minutes wondering if this was real or a sit-com. Both series' of The Office are excellent but I did find they took the cringeworthy level up a notch in the second series. This may have been down to Stephen Merchant as his Hello Ladies show was extremely cringey.

So the lack of Merchant this time round will be interesting and could drag the movie down. I sincerely hope not though as due to my love of David Brent, I am praying this will be good.

Yeah, Stephen Merchant is the Lennon/McCartney to McCartney/Lennon; solo, neither were as good as they were together... I tracked down their XfM radio stints together, and as a 'double act', they are the perfect antidote to eachother. Ricky Gervais on his own (see Special Correspondents for details), I find quite second rate. He's being allowed to get away with stuff now.

There had been nothing like it in 2000/1, and I fear that this film, by focussing on Brent and ignoring Gareth, Tim, Dawn and all the familiar faces behind their computer screens or at the photocopier (presuming it does), is a film just about Brent, which isn't why The Office was so good - it was about Brent in that environment with those colleagues. Brent on the road, in a band (as opposed to playing his guitar in team-building seminars) leaves me a bit cold. Together, they only did 2 series and a special, for a reason...

Edit: Think about the great sitcoms: nothing ever changes. When it changes, it doesn't work. Fact!

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
It will be a rehash of the equality street stuff he did with Doc Brown for Conic Relief. A carbon copy.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It's bound to have its moments because at the end of the day it's Brent. I'll go

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I watched it yesterday. A couple of amusing moments, but a boring watch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here