Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] David Brent: Life on the Road

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Right I won't make the same mistake as I did with the Partridge movie and watch any and all trailers.

Hope it's good.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Office ended with two one hour episodes. If they had been released as a two hour film instead it would have been a great finish, for this reason I'm not worried Gervais will ruin the character. If he thought it was dross he wouldn't release it.

He released Life's Too Short.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
The Office was- for me- one of the most painfully well-observed comedies I've ever seen on TV. Everything about it was just pitched perfectly, from the dialogue to the casting, to the little filler clips that emphasised the mundanity of office life (the photocopier clattering away in the corner). It was absolute watch-through-your-fingers TV, brilliantly written.

I really, really hope this lives up to it. History has shown spin-off movies don't always hit the mark. I find myself wishing this one to.

This

I worked for HSBC for 22 years, the last 10 of them in a Head Office environment.

I have worked with ALL the characters in The Office at one time or another.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The Office was- for me- one of the most painfully well-observed comedies I've ever seen on TV. Everything about it was just pitched perfectly, from the dialogue to the casting, to the little filler clips that emphasised the mundanity of office life (the photocopier clattering away in the corner). It was absolute watch-through-your-fingers TV, brilliantly written.

I really, really hope this lives up to it. History has shown spin-off movies don't always hit the mark. I find myself wishing this one to.

Couldn't agree more.. But if it doesn't (and I'm sure it will), it won't take anything away from Gervais & Merchant's genius that is 'The Office' :)

Let's just hope Keith makes an appearance...

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I think David Brent, like Alan Partridge, are brilliant characters, both psychologically flawed, both a politically correct accident waiting to happen.

It would be brilliant to see them together in the same scene - Red Nose Day should be all over it.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Well, I was rather a fan of The Office, and it hasn't been reported to me that I have become any more high-brow or intellectualised since its showing, but that didn't tickle me at all. I did squirm, but not for the same reasons. Sure i'll see it and chuckle a bit though.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
My MUM worked in a factory

All farmers have wives...

Well this one doesn't - he's gay.

Well then he shouldn't be allowed near animals...

anygivensunday

Jul 5, 2012
Singapore
Absolutely loved The Office but Gervais' output since Extras has been pretty average. I agree the lack of Merchant could have a significant effect.

I will admit I found myself laughing at that trailer, especially Jo Hartley's reactions, and will definitely be watching it. My only concern is that at the end of The Office, Brent seemed to have gained some self awareness, ie meeting the lady, telling Finch to F-off etc. And here we are 15 years later and he's essentially acting like a **** again.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I looked forward to the Alan Partridge film only to be massively disappointed. Hope this is a better effort.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Let's just hope Keith makes an appearance...

"Because over there. Your fanny means your arse. Not...your minge" <looks thoughtful, bites into Scotch egg>

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Tim: Team Leader don't mean anything mate.
Gareth: Excuse me, it means I'm leader of a team.
Tim: No it doesn't. It's a title someone's given you to get you to do something they don't want to do for free - it's like making the div kid at school milk monitor. No one respects it.
Gareth: I think they do.
Tim: No they don't Gareth.
Gareth: Erm yes they do, cos if people were rude to me then I used to give them their milk last... so it was warm.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Tim: Team Leader don't mean anything mate.
Gareth: Excuse me, it means I'm leader of a team.
Tim: No it doesn't. It's a title someone's given you to get you to do something they don't want to do for free - it's like making the div kid at school milk monitor. No one respects it.
Gareth: I think they do.
Tim: No they don't Gareth.
Gareth: Erm yes they do, cos if people were rude to me then I used to give them their milk last... so it was warm.

"Could you give a man a lethal blow?"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My only concern is that at the end of The Office, Brent seemed to have gained some self awareness, ie meeting the lady, telling Finch to F-off etc. And here we are 15 years later and he's essentially acting like a **** again.

If Brent wasn't acting like a **** again, then it wouldn't be worth watching

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here