Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Dave Greenfield (The Stranglers) RIP

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I'm a bit concerned that Gregory 2, Smith 1 hasn't yet contributed to this thread as he's one of the biggest Stranglers fans on this board. Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing any posts from him in a while. Hope he's ok.

I'm sure he's changed his user name to Greased Weasel, I'm sure it's him.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
From Captain Sensible of The Damned-
While showing me round the pub he owned, Dave Greenfield was in the process of hiding his menagerie of pet rats, owing to the food hygiene inspectors coming to check the place over later that day.. "give me a hand Cap or the ******** will close me down." RIP Dave

Anyone know if this was a Brighton pub?

wadhurstseagull

Jul 26, 2003
Guildford Civic Centre 1980. All bullet belts and other potential ‘weapons’ had to be removed and piled high on a table outside the hall. I was 15. One of the most exhilarating and frightening gigs I have ever been to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Genuinely saddened.

One of my all time fave bands, and Dave was a brilliant keyboard player.

Have seen them 27 times, including on last year's UK tour, which will obviously now prove to have been their last.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Only saw the Stranglers once (over 40 years ago). They certainly were original, had a sound they made their own.

Never knew he was from Brighton

Rest In Peace

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Sad news, he was so prominent within Stranglers RIP.

Most played song in the pubs on the duke boxes in that era was Golden brown by a long way, or perhaps it was always my dollar that was playing it.

You and many,many others!

Golden Brown was effectively their 'Christmas' song, insomuch as they made shitloads off the royalties and will long continue to so do. One of Dave's finest compositions. It's hard to believe that the band didn't want it released as a single but it became their biggest hit reaching No.2 in the UK charts.

Mind you, the song that kept it from reaching No.1 wasn't too shabby either (Town Called Malice)!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You and many,many others!

Golden Brown was effectively their 'Christmas' song, insomuch as they made shitloads off the royalties and will long continue to so do. One of Dave's finest compositions. It's hard to believe that the band didn't want it released as a single but it became their biggest hit reaching No.2 in the UK charts.

Mind you, the song that kept it from reaching No.1 wasn't too shabby either (Town Called Malice)!

Rather like 'walk on the wild side' the subject of the song seems to have been disregarded owing to the millions of air plays before anyone realised....

I have to admit I didn't much like it.

This, on the other hand is pure heaven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIX_6EVf7pI

I saw them twice in the 70s, and once at Mount Ephraim near Faversham for the Canterbury festival in around 2001, the only time I joined my son (then age 15) in a mosh pit.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I'm a bit concerned that Gregory 2, Smith 1 hasn't yet contributed to this thread as he's one of the biggest Stranglers fans on this board. Come to think of it, I can't remember seeing any posts from him in a while. Hope he's ok.

Shame as he had a quality avatar that would be good to see on this thread right now. The Black and White album cover picture was shoot by Ruan O'Lochlainn, who I know little about, would be great to see the contact sheets, however, I cannot see any other images from that session.

Kevin Cummings the Joy Division (snow - flyover) photographer posted this one he had from the Electric Circus Manchester June 1977.

Attachments

• EXMMT5XWoAM9NGT.jpeg
    EXMMT5XWoAM9NGT.jpeg
    70.2 KB · Views: 80

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here